• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Audio has always been about feelings. Even before they started selling cable jewellery. An industry of buzzwords. And now they have found some new ones. Nobody worried about SNR when tube amps was the hottest shit, and sound was good too. Anyway! Im quite happy with current state of affairs. Been loving high SNR stuff ever since I got my first Technics Mash CD player, with a jog wheel for search. I didnt even have speakers. HP out with a couple of AKG´s. This stuff has come a long way since then. :)

Well, my first CD player was a portable Technics MASH CD player, with SONY headphones. It accompanied my whole university studies.

DonDish

Well, my first CD player was a portable Technics MASH CD player, with SONY headphones. It accompanied my whole university studies.
I miss Technics, and Sony ES stack´s. Those where glorious days of personal audio!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Testing the case is correctly grounded! What is this madness?
Right? We know from PS Audio, real audiophiles connect the case to the Hot power lead.

Nathan Raymond

Thanks. I suspect their measurements are correct. In general though audio gear doesn't care about such filtering since it has it's own. I test everything with unfiltered power and exceptional results all the time.
Right! However I'd guess most of the equipment plugged into your house's grid is fairly recent and in tip-top shape, so probably not much AC noise to filter. Some of us are into vintage things, for instance I am a fan of retro computing (I have things like an original 1984 Mac, some Apple II's, etc.) and with my old gear running, who knows what kind of noise I might be putting into my AC, so maybe filtering in a surge suppressor has real value for someone like me, since I don't always know the internal operational state of all the power supplies in my old equipment until they fail.

Speaking of the Apple II, since you got your computing start on one, you might get a kick out of testing some recent Apple IIgs sound cards people have made, like the ByteBoosters Darksound Apple IIgs Stereo Sound Card and Digitizer:

https://console5.com/store/darksoun...d-and-digitizer-w-amplifier-line-out-2gs.html

Or the 2soniq Stereo Sound Card from Manilla Gear:

https://www.reactivemicro.com/product/2soniq-stereo-sound-card-from-manila-gear/

Something to think about if you want to take a walk down memory lane with some modern hardware!

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry if it has already been suggested...

How about comparing the performance of Audyssey's individually calibrated microphones (ACM1-X) vs a selection of the mics included with receivers?

Behringer Flow 8

Channels 1 and 2 supposedly have very low-noise ADC. It can also be used as a 4-output USB DAC with parametric EQ, delay and limiter.

BE-P0DNM-FLOW8-Block-Diagram.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The new Soundblaster X5 DAC/amp that's just been launched seems like they're really starting to get closer & closer in the way they're marrying proper audiophile products with gamer products, looks pretty good overall:

Would quite like to see that measured, just wish they'd included a 10 band parametric EQ in there rather than the standard Graphic EQ, I'm assuming Graphic EQ because they don't specifically mention parametric.

Looks like it's a step up from the G6 that was measured at end of 2019 - that's a good product, yet this this X5 is taking it a step further with balanced headphone out and a more audiophile bent in terms of the display, etc.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K-702 doesn't have a review here on ASR. I have bought the headphones, but would be interested to see a review.
Just randomly seen you post - you could try my EQ out if you like, it's based on a set of 4 units of K702 that I've measured:
It's an alternative to the Oratory EQ, eventhough it's based on an EQ to the Harman Curve.

Bamboszek

Marani MDA2-140PAF
2x 140W Class D amplifier with <0.003% (90 dB SINAD) and build in DSP. It's dedicated for professional market, but specs looks very promising.
I can't find any price or dealers however so it might be worth contacting the manufacturer. There are higher power options too.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Aiyima D03

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME Digiface and other similar usb to ADAT audio bridges capable of aggregating multiple DACS under a single clock.

GearNostalgia

probably another unlikely one, but I'd love to see an objective measurement of a pair of Jern 14 speakers. I'm intrigued by the cast iron that they claim has superior characteristics compared to wood/MDF speakers and they receive plenty subjective praise. But I can't find much objective information on the performance of the combined product.
Bumping this. Jern speakers are fascinating. Are the other brands using cast iron?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1696838166010.png

Gold Note PH-5 or PH-10

I like what they are doing with UX and feature set. XLR out, MM/MC, different EQ curves, gain and loading all controllable by a knob/touchscreen for 1k-1.5k.

I find this refreshing amid boutique phono stages that still use generic project enclosures and expect us to fiddle with little dip switches on the board through a cutout in the enclosure.

Willem

Major Contributor
DSpeaker Antimode X2? Not just SINAD, but more particularly the sonic improvements from the room eq, subwoofer integration, and its ease of use.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Any interest in measuring and/or reviewing braided/twisted power cables and SE/balanced interconnect cables for noise?
I did a quick search here but couldn't find anything (?)

I have these in my own range and I do not make any bold or outrageous claims that they will magically transform the listening experience, but I do claim they can theoretically help to mitigate (but not eliminate) EMI/RFI and reduce external noise due to the braided conductor geometry as a beneficial improvement. I also suggest using braided power cables (or any power cables) in conjunction with mains filters.

I can supply all types and am totally and completely open to any objective measurement tests in order to clarify whether or not a braided cable geometry can be beneficial or disbeneficial to a transmitted signal via interconnects or the resultant signal when using braided power cables.

Other brands of braided/twisted cables are available of course, so they don't actually need to be from my own range as the general principle of manipulating the surrounding magnetic field of braided/twisted conductor wires would be almost identical when applied.

I propose this could be a comparative test between a braided/twisted cable and an equivalent non-braided/twisted cable as well as being a standalone test with an external noise source applied.

I have conducted my own tests in order to attempt to verify the theory and have managed to convince at least myself of the benefits but I think it would be really interesting to propose this to someone with an exponentially higher level of expertise, equipment and experience.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

NDRQ

Measuring an AMB b22 amp would be really good, one of the best DIY amp out there, as they say.

Golem

My wishes are:

Pro Ject Phono Box S3 Ultra
Pro Ject Head Box S2

Vincent Pho 300
Vincent Pho 500
Vincent Pho 701

Vincent KHV-200 Headphone Amp

Top Bottom