• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Any interest in measuring and/or reviewing braided/twisted power cables and SE/balanced interconnect cables for noise?
I did a quick search here but couldn't find anything (?)
Time to put up or shut up.
Send you cables to Amir and he can plug them into a system and measure the output with the Audio Precision tool.
Then we can find out if there are any changes in the noise, distortion, frequency response, SINAD, etc of your products.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any interest in measuring and/or reviewing braided/twisted power cables and SE/balanced interconnect cables for noise?

You can measure differences but it’s not really audible.

You can measure yourself and post your results too. If you believe you hear differences, maybe it is your unique environment.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

I have these in my own range and I do not make any bold or outrageous claims that they will magically transform the listening experience, but I do claim they can theoretically help to mitigate (but not eliminate) EMI/RFI and reduce external noise due to the braided conductor geometry as a beneficial improvement. I also suggest using braided power cables (or any power cables) in conjunction with mains filters.

I can supply all types and am totally and completely open to any objective measurement tests in order to clarify whether or not a braided cable geometry can be beneficial or disbeneficial to a transmitted signal via interconnects or the resultant signal when using braided power cables.

Other brands of braided/twisted cables are available of course, so they don't actually need to be from my own range as the general principle of manipulating the surrounding magnetic field of braided/twisted conductor wires would be almost identical when applied.

I propose this could be a comparative test between a braided/twisted cable and an equivalent non-braided/twisted cable as well as being a standalone test with an external noise source applied.

I have conducted my own tests in order to attempt to verify the theory and have managed to convince at least myself of the benefits but I think it would be really interesting to propose this to someone with an exponentially higher level of expertise, equipment and experience.

Thoughts?
This is a member funded Forum. Members send equipment to Amir for testing. For this to happen you would need to reach out to Amir at @amirm and arrange with him what cables you are willing to ship to him for testing. You send the product and cover shipping costs. That’s pretty much how our system works. There are a few exceptions of where Audio OEM’s send their stuff to Amir for testing. Going this route will be the only way to satisfy the members requesting proof.

I don’t know how well you know what we do here. So this Video interview of Amir might help you better understand how we work.

Last edited:

ChrisCables

Audio Company
This is a member funded Forum. Members send equipment to Amir for testing. For this to happen you would need to reach out to Amir at @amirm and arrange with him what cables you are willing to ship to him for testing. You send the product and cover shipping costs. That’s pretty much how our system works. There are a few exceptions of where Audio OEM’s send their stuff to Amir for testing. Going this route will be the only way to satisfy the members requesting proof.

I don’t know how well you know what we do here. So this Video interview of Amir might help you better understand how we work.
Thanks for the advice.
However, I have already PM'd Amir and he has responded.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I know it is childish and an abuse of good audio equipment but how about a video (perhaps with slow-motion) of the transformation from this:
1000024812.jpg

to this:
1000024811.png

It would also be interesting to know what level of power, type of signal etc was necessary.

Could you bring yourself to do it?

Edit: Not necessarily this model - though it does seem to undergo a particularly impressive transformation.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a test of Kali Audio 8" 3-ways. On paper they sure look killer for a killer price!
At the other end of the spectrum, super thin on-walls like the KEF T-series.
And a test of KEF Uni-Q tweeter response with the woofer excurded maximum out, neutral, maximum in. Maybe even some intermodulation kind of test.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
At the other end of the spectrum, super thin on-walls like the KEF T-series.
Amir already measured them:
I'd love to see a test of Kali Audio 8" 3-ways.
Are you taking about Kali IN-8?
Erin reviewed it.
Or the unreleased (but already confirmed that it's coming...) Kali Audio SM-8? This one, but bigger.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

alexandrul

Is it worth adding data in the current format for older DACs? E.g. FiiO E10K and Topping D30 are cheap enough as used products (I could buy 4 E10Ks for the price of a K7) but it's hard to make an informed decision based on the existing reviews.

From the current products, I wish for FiiO K7 and K11 to be selected this year.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Funny to just see the cable discussion. I recently bought a pair of Cable Matters XLR cables that were ridiculously loose in connection on both ends. I was sort of surprised to get any sound at all, let alone the audio signal being just as good as the expensive cables with Neutrik connectors that I replaced them with. Of course, I would never use those Cable Matters cables again as janky connections suck for peace of mind, but something like Blue Jeans Cable is obviously as good as it gets in every area.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just looking through the manual of my AVC-X8500HA and noticed that the back panel has Denon Link HD which is apparently a coaxial output for the DAC's clock signal. Supposedly connecting this to a Denon disk player can reduce jitter. (I guess this is a bit antiquated now as it seems to have been dropped from the A1H - still could be an interesting myth to either bust or confirm).

Just wondering if it would be possible to test out this Denon link feature? I.e. measure jitter over HDMI with and without the coax clock signal connected and see if it makes any difference. (Not necessarily with an X8500 - any amp with Denon Link would probably do).

You might not even need a Denon disk player if the AP can accept a clock sync input?

Last edited:
OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
1) Loudspeakers (more Genelec's, because they are probably very good) and also by Wilson and Gryphon (for the opposite reason when taking price in consideration).
2) Headphones (more by Sennheiser).
3) the dCS Lina stack.
4) Niimbus US5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom