• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Warranty Tip

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
We recently called a Major Instrumentation Company when a half-million dollar DSO arrived with one of the "warranty void if removed" stickers stuck halfway across the front display. Someone really messed up, or was playing a joke. Their rep was less amused when she had to come out, pull the sticker, and put a new one on for us before we would accept (and pay for) for the 'scope. (We get reps on site fairly often so wasn't a huge deal but that ranks up there for Stoopid.)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
aI5kweF.gif

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's always been bluff by manufacturers in Australia. I remember years ago having the discussion with a service department head for one of the companies mentioned above and he confirmed that technically, a consumer could return a partially dismantled product for warranty repair and as long as it wasn't modified or damaged, they would be required to repair any faults under warranty.

The issue was only raised recently with the Australian distributors of MSI laptops where a 'warranty void if removed' sticker was over a screw required to be removed to simply add RAM to a high end laptop touted as being 'user-upgradable' RAM. I rang MSI for the customer and they of course said 'the sticker means nothing'.

Apple have been fined in this country for deceptive conduct in refusing warranties when third party repairs gave that famous error code 53. It cost them 9 million in government fines and they must clearly state consumer guarantee rights all over their website.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44529315

Thank goodness we have pretty strong consumer protection in Australia, although standing up to some companies can be too daunting for some.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Their rep was less amused when she had to come out, pull the sticker, and put a new one on for us before we would accept (and pay for) for the 'scope.

I get the feeling someone just wanted the rep to come out and visit... ;)

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Another scam in Australia is retailers telling customers that warranty claims have to be pursued directly with the warranty provider. The law specifically states that the seller is responsible for handling warranty claims including valid shipping costs, etc.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Another scam in Australia is retailers telling customers that warranty claims have to be pursued directly with the warranty provider. The law specifically states that the seller is responsible for handling warranty claims including valid shipping costs, etc.

Yes, our friends at Harvey Norman were raked over the coals and significantly fined for that ongoing 'policy' they tried to enforce for many years.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...umers-about-their-rights-20160114-gm5u6q.html

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-for-misleading-customers-20140519-38jwz.html

The contract is between the customer and the retailer and the retailer is required to remedy any issues that arise and are covered under Australian Consumer Law. It's pretty straightforward, but it never ceases to amaze me, how many large and small operators try to bluff their customers. Trouble is, certain businesses regard the possibility of fines as an ongoing cost of doing business...

Disclaimer: I supplied pretty much every electrical, computer, furniture and HiFi store in my state with our products, and got to see and deal with all levels of management for a number of years. The majority of franchisees with the above-mentioned Australia-wide company were truly excellent and incredibly focused on customer service and consumer rights. A few rotten apples are in every barrel I guess.

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, our friends at Harvey Norman were raked over the coals and significantly fined for that ongoing 'policy' they tried to enforce for many years.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...umers-about-their-rights-20160114-gm5u6q.html

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-for-misleading-customers-20140519-38jwz.html

The contract is between the customer and the retailer and the retailer is required to remedy any issues that arise and are covered under Australian Consumer Law. It's pretty straightforward, but it never ceases to amaze me, how many large and small operators try to bluff their customers. Trouble is, certain businesses regard the possibility of fines as an ongoing cost of doing business...

Disclaimer: I supplied pretty much every electrical, computer, furniture and HiFi store in my state with our products, and got to see and deal with all levels of management for a number of years. The majority of franchisees with the above-mentioned Australia-wide company were truly excellent and incredibly focused on customer service and consumer rights. A few rotten apples are in every barrel I guess.

Small town franchisee are not so open. If I ask retailers in my town for a better price they drag out a calculator, look as though they are having a tooth extraction and say they can't do it. Getting warranty responsibility from them would take a report to authorities and, then, is it worth the trouble?
I thus deal elsewhere. It is a shame, because I like to support local businesses - up to a point. They don't budge from a retail price attitude and thus get zilch from me. Thus the rural retail tradition continues, their sales decline and they decry local customer loyalty.

Sorry, OT rant.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I get the feeling someone just wanted the rep to come out and visit... ;)

She's a nice gal, but nope. It was holding up our validation so was a major PITA.

More on topic, here (USA) warranties seem to get knocked about a lot. Sometimes the dealer will handle it, sometimes they will tell you to go to the manufacturer, and sometimes (especially if you buy stuff online) you can get into a horrible loop trying to get somebody to step up to the plate and take ownership of the problem. I have found no real rhyme nor reason to it; some big companies are great, some are lousy, and same with small companies. I do think small companies generally do better IME but there are always horror stories...

Last edited:
Top Bottom