• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A warm bookshelf

caioferrari

Hi
I have a pair of Klipsch RB51II connected to a Marantz NR1504 and a DIY Sub.

I’m looking for a small bookshelf (5” woofer) with a warm signature. I’m a little tired of Klipsch sound. I’d like to have a speaker for a long time listening sessions without fatigue.

I live in Brazil and here we don’t have stores with showroom where we can test equipments. The other downside is we don’t have many speaker options here, since a lot of brands doesn’t have oficial dealers here.

The speaker I chose was Dynaudio Evoke 10, but a just found 20’s… and it’s too big for my room.

I saw Polk R100 which is a little bright, so as the new Klipsch 500-II. I’m impressed how difficult is to find a book with well balanced highs.

Do you guys have any suggestion for me ?

radix

Major Contributor
I think the Wharfedale Denton is supposed to be a bit warm with a presence bump. I've never heard them, just repeating what I saw on some youtuber's site.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps you could simply EQ your Klipsch to be less strident?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

raindance

Major Contributor
Missions and Wharfedales in the budget range are fairly dull sounding (not bright). Opposite to Klipsch. Mission LX2 or Wharfedale Diamond 225. Mission has more extended bass and doesn't like being close to a wall, whereas the Wharfedale can go right up against the wall. Your choice.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Wharfedale Denton is supposed to be a bit warm with a presence bump. I've never heard them, just repeating what I saw on some youtuber's site.
It has a warm bassy tuning but not a big presence dip:

1685683441576.png

Source: https://www.wharfedale-deutschland....Play-Wharfedale-Denton-85th-Audio-2021-08.pdf

OP
C

caioferrari

Missions and Wharfedales in the budget range are fairly dull sounding (not bright). Opposite to Klipsch. Mission LX2 or Wharfedale Diamond 225. Mission has more extended bass and doesn't like being close to a wall, whereas the Wharfedale can go right up against the wall. Your choice.
Can’t find Wharffedales in Brazil
unfortunately, we have here a lot of Klipsch, Polk and B&W. All tweeter heavy speakers. :(

jbattman1016

You should try to EQ your setup before replacing the speakers. I don't know how much warmth you'll get when the woofer is under 6 inches.

MachOne

My old Dynaudio DM6/2 had what might be described as a "warm" tuning, with a bit of a hump in the 80-100 hz area and a somewhat relaxed top end. I think their tuning followed this trend in at least few models, so they might be worth checking out. Or just EQ your current speakers as suggested or get some active monitors with a decent set of filter settings or full DSP.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you guys have any suggestion for me ?
Yes, pick a larger speaker that might have more bass and thus sounds warmer.
I can recommend the Wharfedale Mission LX-3 MKII Amir recently tested, i found them fun to listen to as they really have a good bass and didn't annoy me at all, but the woofer is 6.5".

Last edited:

riker1384

On the used market, the Energy RC-10 is slightly warm sounding with a 5.25" woofer in a fairly small cabinet . And it looks nice, with real-wood veneers.

OP
C

caioferrari

Guys,
I think I’ll be abre to get a Revel M105 from a local dealer.

It may solve my issue. What you guys think?

(I’ve tried to eq my Klipsch. It still sounds harsh with a less highs)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys,
I think I’ll be abre to get a Revel M105 from a local dealer.

It may solve my issue. What you guys think?

(I’ve tried to eq my Klipsch. It still sounds harsh with a less highs)
Certainly the Revel's even dispersion and low distortion is a great starting point for achieving the frequency balance you want. My guess is you will like it without EQ above the transition frequency.

OP
C

caioferrari

Certainly the Revel's even dispersion and low distortion is a great starting point for achieving the frequency balance you want. My guess is you will like it without EQ above the transition frequency.

I’m hoping for that. I’ve never imagined that I would buy an expensive speaker like that but I can’t stand a harsh speaker anymore.

I was hatching Erin’s reviews and I got impressed how companies have no compromise about frequency balance. Almost every small bookshelf has a treble boost.

I’ve tested Polk R100 in comparison with Klipsch 500M through Crutchfield comparison system and it sounds more well behaved speaker. But even Polk has a 3dB boost on highs. :(

OP
C

caioferrari

I got a KEF LS50 meta and M105 for the same price.

I will use them with a sub.

What should I choose?

jbattman1016

Wow the sensitivity of these speakers is going to need some power. Depending on your sitting distances I think will determine which one you chose due to the different in the dispersion from the speakers. They seems pretty similar. I would try the KEF, but that's just because I hear people like them and not from personal experience.

It's a shame you can't get RSL speakers there. :(

Top Bottom