• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A unsung hero. Id like to get M2TECH some recognition, Marco has designed a great DAC in the M2TECH Young MkIII

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Figuy1017

Figuy1017

Uh huh

Well it measures decent to me, not anywhere near 'best DAC' but would like to see it measured on an AP.
I think in the $1500.- category there could be better measuring (and far worse) alternatives.

At least it has MQA and BT.

Id like to see it re measured with its psu. I know its a bad word in the objective world to say but it made alot of difference to my ears. Anyways thought it measured better than that obviously, but still love the thing all the same ;)

OP
Figuy1017

Figuy1017

It was fine for me too, sorry @Figuy1017 for the hard time you got here over this.

Welcome and thanks for posting .

Well i was alittle over enthusiastic i guess but still love the dac and i think itll measure better with its psu Vandergraff Mk2

OP
Figuy1017

Figuy1017

Tons of measurements here, very uncommon and welcomed from such a company.:)

Unfortunately, the last statement in specs shows THD+N at 0.0008% (5V). That is translated to SINAD at around 102db. Nothing close to an epic performance for a 1390€ DAC.:confused:

Well thats alittle disappointing.. i remember when i had the Mk1 before i sold it along with its battery powered Palmer psu i had it hooked up to the Mk3 dac and it sounded like a different unit, as I sold the palmer and was using the wall wart for awhile before i recieved the Vandergraff unit,which in return as did the Palmer make alot of subjective difference, curious one day to find out how much it really does help :)

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I'd rather have a DAC that measures and performs perfectly with the standard power supply provided. There are some that do not need that kind of tweak.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Figuy1017

Figuy1017

I can certainly understand that, i believe due possibly to the cost of its components that he had a choice to make on price, just a guess. It seems he created two buyer groups with one unit, one price range and good performance, with the feature set he set out to have, and another to top off the performance and ability to power up to five other m2tech devices. This is just a assumption of course. I can understand what your saying though for sure :)

OP
Figuy1017

Figuy1017

Unfortunately, the last statement in specs shows THD+N at 0.0008% (5V). That is translated to SINAD at around 102db. Nothing close to an epic performance for a 1390€ DAC.:confused:

So the 120db snr manufacturer claim wasnt accounted for?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the 120db snr manufacturer claim wasnt accounted for?
SNR and SINAD are not the same thing. SINAD is "SIgnal above Noise And Distortion" or "Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise".

But that are still manufacturer's specs, anyway. Better see how it performs with Apx555.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

True. But your normal DAC doesn't feature a trojan in the driver setup. Someone has to pay for that.

Top Bottom