• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A thought about a video from @joentell

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It was this video from @joentell
(sry for the following not so good english)
I liked it. Usually i like his videos, i think he is a well groundet person.
Talk was about how measured FR translates to what other reviers hear and how they discripe this with words.
This speaker had a peak at around 14k about 4db and maybe a q from .6.
Thats all estimated couse its not really importend to be exact for my message.
Question: Makes this a speaker sound bright?

I dont want to give a answer, i just want to show that every audiophile can give easely him self a answer.
Like everything in the audiophile hobby you need some money(not much) and passion. ;)
Yes you need a smartphone or a tablet or a computer.But who today has not such a device?
Then get the neutron audio player. Why this one? It has realy nice PEQ that shows graphicly what it does. Thats importend, couse its hard to imagine what happens at 2khz when you change 4khz lets say 5db up with q=1.
Screenshot_20210706-134657.png

Screenshot_20210706-135110.png

You can see nicely what frequence is influenced and how much. This thing is about 5euro. So even you dont like it as a player you just need 5euro and some passion to try and learn.

What are 5Euros on your Audiophile journey when you can answer in the future such substantial questions for your self?
Btw. you learn what a parametric eq is and how to use it.

Train your ears, hear the 3khz,6db,Q1 bump. Try the same at 15khz. This all needs some passion. But who wants call himself a audiophile without passion for listening? And no you not need some ultra linear equipment for it to learn. Importend are the relative changes. Then you can try the 0.2 db changes from a cable at 16khz.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea, EQ in a peak and see how much you notice. Learned from ASR that narrow dips and peaks don't matter as much as smaller changes over very wide areas.

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Good idea, EQ in a peak and see how much you notice. Learned from ASR that narrow dips and peaks don't matter as much as smaller changes over very wide areas.

Yeah be brutal take a a shellf -5db from 3khz up. Hear what happens. Learn, thats much better than just to look and imagine. Or even more worse, let others tell you. Its cheap, everybody can get. And what you can learn is so importend.

Top Bottom