• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A tale of two speakers (B2031A and 8030c)

gino1961

Saw that one too. No clue to be honest.
i will ask around I can only read when there is the % on the X-axis I see what looks like a distortion peak at around 250Hz ?
it is a pity that very few care about distortion Thanks a lot anyway

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
@gino1961 Are significant improvements really as simple as putting another driver in? I don't know, I've never built DIY speakers. I suppose as you have 3 different 8" drivers coming, then you can be our guinea pig!

Last edited:

gino1961

@gino1961 Are significant improvements really as simple as putting another driver in? I don't know, I've never built DIY speakers. I suppose as you have 3 different 8" drivers coming, then you can be our guinea pig!
hi maybe i am trivial and sorry for this
but imho drivers fix the maximum performance that we can get from a speaker
in the Hifi sector lately people care more about the look
but audio is a little like cooking
the quality of the raw materials is essential for a great result
of course good raw materials can be used badly
if a driver makes distortion there is no way to improve it
to be honest i am even thinking to use two better woofers than what I have already at hand
but a good woofer easily costs 200

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
hi maybe i am trivial and sorry for this
but imho drivers fix the maximum performance that we can get from a speaker
in the Hifi sector lately people care more about the look
but audio is a little like cooking
the quality of the raw materials is essential for a great result
of course good raw materials can be used badly
if a driver makes distortion there is no way to improve it
to be honest i am even thinking to use two better woofers than what I have already at hand
but a good woofer easily costs 200
Hmm, what about the enclosure and the ports? I think the enclosure might be causing a resonance with the B2031A around 50hz, someone else said the ports are flimsy and resonate.

What might be an interesting alternative is to use the Behringer faceplate and put it inside a DIY floorstanding enclosure. Then a better driver might perform optimally. This is no good if you want to use one at a desk though.

IME the tweeter sounds nice on the Behringer and is worth using. I don't know whether the enclosure will be a limiting factor when adding a different 8" driver though.

gino1961

Hmm, what about the enclosure and the ports? I think the enclosure might be causing a resonance with the B2031A around 50hz, someone else said the ports are flimsy and resonate.
if you look at the graph of distortion the major peaks at a about 250 and 400Hz (minimum difference between the fundamental and the distortion curve)
I am quite confident that any of the pairs i have at hand will perform better But i am asking to some experts about advice
Problem is that there are two main camps ... the camps of people who will never touch a product and the other who want to build one from the scratch the pure DIYers
I fall in the middle ... i love smart mods Usually commercial products must respect a budget And sometimes the savings are where they impact mostly with performance
Of all the parts of a powered speakers the woofer is by far the more expensive Then come the cabinet and the mains transformer
What might be an interesting alternative is to use the Behringer faceplate and put it inside a DIY floorstanding enclosure.
Then a better driver might perform optimally. This is no good if you want to use one at a desk though.
IME the tweeter sounds nice on the Behringer and is worth using. I don't know whether the enclosure will be a limiting factor when adding a different 8" driver though.
i would keep the size as it is and save the cabinet I am also thinking of using a smaller woofer with an wood adapter ring like these https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/417vsF0IJ1L._AC_.jpg
i am looking for a bargain 7" or so

Archaea

One thing to keep in mind is that most speaker companies don’t build their own parts internally like Behringer does.

So for small speaker shop X he is buying his speaker components at a 5x markup over actual cost of manufacturing. Since Behringer makes their own drivers and gear in their own factories (as I understand it) and sells it under their own label, they aren’t selling a $20 woofer for $100 as a baseline. You are getting a typically $100 typical priced woofer for only the $20. One way to consider it.

I assure you, the Behringer Truth do not sound bad or exhibit noticeable distortion. My pair were quite pleasant to list to. I certainly enjoyed them.

Last edited:

gino1961

A tale of two speakers - The Behringer B2031A and Genelec 8030c.
What follows is a subjective review & comparison of these two speakers based on my own audition at home....
i wonder if anyone has direct experience of this one instead ... now discontinued
202221_152513_03DSWL.jpg

The Genelec 1031A was in production between 1991 and 2005. It was replaced by the 8050A model.

M.I.P.A winner​

The 1031A is a M.I.P.A (Musikmesse International Press Award) winner and was chosen as "Best Gear of the 90's" by Pro Audio Review.

Genelec 1031A in the TECnology Hall of Fame 2014​

The TECnology Hall of Fame was established in 2004 to honor and recognize audio products and innovations that have made a significant contribution to the advancement of audio technology. Inductees to the TECnology Hall of Fame are chosen by a panel of more than 50 recognized audio experts, including authors, educators, engineers, facility owners and other professionals. Products or innovations must be at least 10 years old to be considered for induction.
source: http://legacy.tecawards.org/hof/14techof.html

gino1961

One thing to keep in mind is that most speaker companies don’t build their own parts internally like Behringer does.
So for small speaker shop X he is buying his speaker components at a 5x markup over actual cost of manufacturing. Since Behringer makes their own drivers and gear in their own factories (as I understand it) and sells it under their own label, they aren’t selling a $20 woofer for $100 as a baseline. You are getting a typically $100 typical priced woofer for only the $20. One way to consider it.
I assure the Behringer Truth do not sound bad or exhibit obnoxious distortion. My pair were quite pleasant to list to. I quite enjoyed them.
i would like to believe it ... but i cannot
imho when a better woofer (i.e. lower in distortion for a same SPL) is used the difference is like night and day
I am an avid reader of Dr. Amir excellent reviews and lab reports
I am in love with this multitones test carried out on electronics of which i report an example
index.php

why not doing something similar for a speaker ? maybe with fewer tones
I am sure it would tell a lot of things
The principle in hifi should be trivial ... if there is something in the output that is not present at the input this means that the speaker creates signals by itself
It is acting more like a sound processor than a serious speaker

Maybe in some cases the result could be also nice (like chorus and harmonic enhancers) but the speaker cannot be called accurate
And the more the added signals the less the accuracy
Only in hifi people are disturbed by accuracy Shooters for instance are mad for accuracy
Why cant we have a shooter approach to audio ?

Last edited:

gino1961

I have B2031A for a long time (11 years?) bought them pair something like 150$ from MusicStore. And finally love them recenctly, I mean completely, when applied DIRAC on them...wow, the sound now is just "here". I have also semi-reflection_free_zone with 6 side panels around and it also improves behaviour of them. I use them for sound production and wondering switching to Adam T8V since they have better bass responce (and probably faster due to light woofer). But still cannot decide because a bit affraid of similarity after applying DIRAC on Adam too. So it would be nice to hear some impression from people who compared them both side by side. Or maybe not T8V but T7V (the only difference is bass responce I suppose).
hi what is Dirac? a software? thanks

Top Bottom