• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

a suggestion for apt and condo dwellers

izeek

first, lets establish that im a music lover. i listen most of the day, at work, in my car and at home.loud at that. im into jungle, dnb, rap, hiphop, jazz, classic country, any variety of rock, some classical.
and i dont know jack other than i like what i hear.
ive done no measuring. no room correction.
ive just kept playing until i got the balance i wanted.
subs create a lot of vibration in the room and thru the floor particularly.
ive been experimenting for months trying to reduce the boom in my room.
im running this.
jbl synthesis sdp-3 pre
audiosource model 3 150wpc amp
jbl l890 towers
jbl l8400 12"sub.
my room is 13'5w"×14'6"l.
my listening position is 9"5".
the towers are 35" from the side walls, 18" from the front wall with a bit of toe-in.
all my speakers are isolated from the floor. the towers on 3"×3×3/4" blocks cut from some horsestall mat i had left over from another project.
here's my crown jewel.
my sub is on a 20"×20"×3/4" horsestall mat. on top of that is a 3/4" hardwood board the same dimensions as the mat under it.
each sub foot is resting on 3"×3"×3/4" horsestall mat blocks.
the blocks really made a biiig diffetence.
sub on floor=loud fuzzy boomy.
sub on horsestall mat=boomy.
sub on mat and board=much less boom and much tighter bass.
sub on mat, board and blocks=100%. no boom, really tight bass.
the sub is also 24" from front wall and 16" from closest side wall.
end result=great balance, really tight bass, little boom, much more vocal exposure.
and the volume now seems louder than before.
i used flight of the cosmic hippo from bela fleck and the flecktones as my test music. really great acoustic production values.
them banjo strings can be vividly heard. the upright bass is ridiculous for its range and time stamp. you can almost see the musician thumbing and strumming.
im a very happy camper.
comments please.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
ive done no measuring. no room correction.
ive just kept playing until i got the balance i wanted.
As long as you're happy.

There's not much to comment unless you have a technical question about setup and want to dive into measurement and so forth.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Katji

Major Contributor
Photo/s of the horsestall mat + wooden board + horsestall blocks could be helpful.

I had to google [horsestall mat], wasn't sure to take it literally. You get the images and there is a an explanation about horsestall mat vs. gym mat. (From the gym point of view. Maybe the main point being that the gym mat doesn't smell like a tyre shop.)

all my speakers are isolated from the floor. the towers on 3"×3×3/4" blocks cut from some horsestall mat i had left over from another project.
here's my crown jewel.
my sub is on a 20"×20"×3/4" horsestall mat. on top of that is a 3/4" hardwood board the same dimensions as the mat under it.
each sub foot is resting on 3"×3"×3/4" horsestall mat blocks.
the blocks really made a biiig diffetence.

OP
izeek

izeek

i didnt have any specific technical questions. ill get around to that. it blows my head up for the moment thinking about measurements. but that being said, im sure there would more improvement no?

im sure im not done, yet. my speakers have a 250w recommendation. id like to explore that though i imagine that overall volume will improve(more power, eh , eh ,eh). what other improvements could i expect by doing so.

havent asked the neighbors what they thought. "oh, yeah. its great now. thank you for being so thoughtful". probably not. at least i tried.

i tried to upload a pic but the file was too large. not savvy on that stuff.

OP
izeek

izeek

Photo/s of the horsestall mat + wooden board + horsestall blocks could be helpful.

I had to google [horsestall mat], wasn't sure to take it literally. You get the images and there is a an explanation about horsestall mat vs. gym mat. (From the gym point of view. Maybe the main point being that the gym mat doesn't smell like a tyre shop.)
working on the pics.
yeah, at first it does, but it dies down fairly quick. seems a bit denser than than gym matting.(i built a deadlift platform ala alan thralls yt video).

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, that was my first reaction - that sort of smell usually "gases out", soon goes. The density is interesting, because it's more dense than most things used. But our perceptions or what we imagine about it can be quite different from the actual damping effect.

Willem

Major Contributor
If you posted because you are wondering whether the sound is as good as it can be in the circumstances, there is only one way: measure the in-room response. Since you seem to have struggled with boom etc, my hunch is that in-room response at the lower frequencies could still be improved by the addition of a second (small) subwoofer, and by the use of dsp room eq of one kind or another.

OP
izeek

izeek

lol. i do try to be reasonable. the purpose of what im doing.

OP
izeek

izeek

ive three different editing apps to resize but the pic is still too large.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^That shouldn't be a problem. FSViewer (FastStone) - - - - to 30%, 22%, whatever looks small enough/big enough, Resize, Save.
Although the image data size limit is extreme here, so you probably have to reduce the JPEG quality as well - it's an option in the [Save As] dialog.

1609266859328.png

Point is really that you don't need 3 image viewer/editor apps.
Or maybe the problem is phone apps. Maybe FastSone does a mobile version.

Last edited:

fitero

Assuming your speakers reproduce @ 20hz, remember that no matter what you do, short of making yourself an enclosed, thick, cement bunker, your neighbors within 50 feet or so are going to hate you.

Katji

Major Contributor
You can't test for improvements wrt neighbours, so all you can go by is...
...I mean hoping that less boomy is better for neighbours too.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Assuming your speakers reproduce @ 20hz, remember that no matter what you do, short of making yourself an enclosed, thick, cement bunker, your neighbors within 50 feet or so are going to hate you.
But if they are not next door, they may not know you are the source.

Kal (apartment dweller)

Top Bottom