• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Short History of High-End Audio Cables

wje

Forum Donor
If there are differences in cable sound, they are likely to be minute. Why spend so much money for such a tiny if any, benefit?

Well, I'll go first. There are people out there with huge amounts of disposable income. They're capable of falling for the trick of a better speaker cable, and the risers for the cables to go with it. I think there are people that never get to a point of satisfaction with their system, but drop thousands more into it for a 1 to 2% improvement in sound. But, again, they most likely have such money to make those choices to spend their money in such a manner. Sure, just when I think there's a point where I'm getting content with my system, there's a new component that piques my interest, so I do some more swapping in and out. Sure, I'll change components, but the most expensive cables I've ever purchased were probably some Audioquest cables for about $50. The rest of the cable purchase has been very modest in cost. At the end of the day, I realize that what really matters is the music. Taking the time to quiet the mind on the right mix of gear and just enjoy the music.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
. I think there are people that never get to a point of satisfaction with their system, but drop thousands more into it for a 1 to 2% improvement in sound.

I would be happy to spend meaningful $$$ on cables that actually improved anything that could be audible by even just one or two percent...

Problem is that it's more like a 0% improvement in sound.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom