• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A reasonable (AB class) replacement for Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp

Hello everyone,

The original post as well as detailed review & measurements of Yamaha's A-S701/801 integrated amplifiers can be found here:
YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

I've been using the Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp as a heart of my audio system for a couple of years. Thanks to the above thread, as well as detailed description and measurements by TRL, I know it is well worth the money that I had paid for it in the past. The A-S801 used to be a part of a budget stereo set, together with Yamaha CD-S700 (very decent for its price) and Castle Knight 2 monitors.
In the meantime I've literally changed everything: I've got Jay's Audio CDT2 MK3 as a CD transport, paired with Topping D70S MQA DAC (thanks a lot for your measurements!). I also bought new speakers - Gato Audio FM-30 floor-standers (50-250 W, 4 Ohm).

I am still very pleased with my A-S801, however I've been thinking of an upgrade for months ( audiophilia nervosa ) ;)
Considering everything which has been written and reported in that thread about A-S701, which can be applied to my A-S801 too, what would you consider as an upgrade in the range between equivalent of 2000-3000 $?
I'm not talking about the "sound", as I know it isn't the right place to talk about such things, but about build quality, engineering, internal build and measurements above all. :)
I'm a bit old fashioned kind of guy, so I would stick to class AB integrated amps with linear power supplies. Separated (pre amp + power amp) are not excluded, however this would mean more cables (mains power cable, interconnects etc.), and I don't think the Topping D70S MQA would be good enough as a preamp.

The new A-S1200 and A-S2200 have weaker power amps sections. I'm not willing to pay 3/4/5 times more for a weaker amp, no matter how much I like the external design, drooling to the VU meters (rather small in these cases).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s801/specs.html
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s2200/specs.html#product-tabs

Classic integrated amps like Yamaha A-S3200 or Luxman LX-507 Mark II are far out of my budget/range...

I'm considering Rotel RA-1572 MK II, that has some good reviews, as well it has been rather detailed measured here:
Rotel RA-1572MKII Integrated Amplifier-DAC Measurements

It is a bit stronger in the power amp section than A-S701/801, however other measurements are similar to those taken by Audioholics.
Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier Measurements and Analysis
(I know it's been posted here several times, but just for direct comparison).

Another option is the much stronger Rotel RA-1592 MK II.
The review is in Polish and measurements are pretty basic, however it seems to be a beefy and healthy integrated amp.
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3433-rotel-ra-1592-mkii

I would be very much obliged for your comments, opinions, tips (whatever). As I wrote above, I'm still happy with my A-S801, however I don't believe that there are no reasonable upgrades within the above given price tags.

Best regards,
Mieczyslaw

PS. My current happy audio family. :cool:

P_20211130_115324_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon a110 is a work of art, not sure of pricing in your area but maybe worth looking at.

OP
M
Hello Phorize - thank very much for your suggestion.

The Denon PMA-A110 is indeed a work of art, from the constructional point of view, and looks nice. However, as reviewed here (in Polish), its power amp section is, again, weaker than my A-S801 and SNR is worse... :(
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/odtwarzacz-cd-wzmacniacz/3310-dcd-a110-pma-a110

Audioholics liked its build, look and sound, yet the measurements aren't brilliant for a brand new, anniversary integrated amp (flagship!):
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/denon-pma-a110

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Topping can be used as a pre-amplifier then it would probably make sense to purchase a high-performance power amp rather than another integrated.
True, the traditional choice here would be a hypex or purifi amp, which are ruled out. Quad Artera may tick quite a few boxes at the price point.

OP
M
If the Topping can be used as a pre-amplifier then it would probably make sense to purchase a high-performance power amp rather than another integrated.
That's the question. It's brilliant as DAC (in its price range), but rather simple as a PRE. Otherwise I would have a look at KECES power amps for example. If I had something like Holo Audio Spring with dedicated PRE I wouldn't consider an integrated amp any more. ;)

OP
M
What do you mean?
Well, I've only read one review, in which the reviewer compared my beloved Topping D70S MQA paired with a KECES S300 power amp, and the same power amp with a dedicated Topping Pre90. Subjectively, the first combo sounded worse. There were no measurements though. :(

I'm not an engineer, that's why I came here looking for advice within the above given budget (equivalent of 2000-3000 $): objective measurements are most welcomed, however some subjective opinions as well. If a mid-fi DAC with passive PRE function was sufficient, Topping wouldn't produce its Pre90, and people wouldn't buy separate preamplifiers. I just want to squeeze out everything I could from my system.

BTW. I posted some very detailed measurements of Rotel RA-1572 MK2 above. I'm not a fanboy of Rotel, neither of Yamaha, although the latter looks much better to me. I just asked for opinions and suggestions as to my future "power amp section". The rest works very fine for me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just can't imagine getting excited over an integrated amp. Not bad, but why change among them particularly?

brimble

Forum Donor
Just can't imagine getting excited over an integrated amp. Not bad, but why change among them particularly?
No reason.

Your problem is that you don't have a problem! You should keep exactly what you already have unless you don't like the look of it, in which case get something prettier (and personally I would not go for the Rotel for that, although I'm sure it sounds great; but of course people disagree about what's pretty).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason.

Your problem is that you don't have a problem! You should keep exactly what you already have unless you don't like the look of it, in which case get something prettier (and personally I would not go for the Rotel for that, although I'm sure it sounds great; but of course people disagree about what's pretty).

I'm more asking of the op myself :) No, not in the market, have a bunch of gear that covers all these bases myself. I just don't see any particular advantage in changing from one limited integrated amp to another. Aesthetics could do it for some perhaps, makes no difference to me.

brimble

Forum Donor
I'm more asking of the op myself :) No, not in the market, have a bunch of gear that covers all these bases myself. I just don't see any particular advantage in changing from one limited integrated amp to another. Aesthetics could do it for some perhaps, makes no difference to me.
Sorry! I thought you were the OP. If you had been then my reply would have made more sense.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speak your minds gentlemen...lol. What would you buy for USD $3K?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and wot else? What solution do you have for ~USD $3K
Many others depending on needs. Not that hard. Why needing mostly antiquated 2ch needs in one box?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would buy a NAD M10 of something like that. Adding DIRAC will do more to improve your system than any upgrade in amplification anyway.

Edit: shoot I forgot OP said class AB. Maybe get a MiniDSP Flex to add Dirac to your current amp

Top Bottom