• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

Barrelhouse Solly

I've been fooling around with streaming music for over 10 years. It started when we got a DVD player with DLNA support. Then I got one of those, now defunct, Samsung music players that was essentially a phone without the phone. I discovered BubbleUPNP and other DLNA clients. The next step was a Raspberry Pi with a DAC HAT and Moode Audio. Because Moode and Volumio are very sluggish on my phone and tablet l've been experimenting with other solutions. For a couple of years I've been using a straight MPD setup using M.A.L.P as an Android client. A couple of weeks ago I tried Picoreplayer. I have it running on my bedside table on a Pi Zero 2 W playing through a Riva speaker. It works great. This led me to what I think is my favorite multi-room streaming setup. I found out that there is a version of Logitech Media Server that runs on QNAP. I have a low end NAS and it took a lot of back and forth on the LMS forum to get it running. It was an OS file permission thing that was an easy fix once I found out what it was. The interesting thing about the LMS setup is that it's client-server with a twist. There's a central server and player clients running on separate devices. You don't have to run it from each device. With a controller app, I use Squeezer, an open source Android app, you can control each player from one location. I have the clients on each device pointed to the LMS installation on the NAS and I use Squeezer to control which player I want to use. I just installed Squeezelite on a Pi running Raspbian and was delighted to find that LMS and Squeezer discovered it automagically. You don't need Picoreplayer if you don't mind missing a few features.

There are some cons. Moode is my favorite from the tweaking side. Beside Camilladsp, it has a host of other cool audio tweaks as well as the ability to connect with high bit rate streaming services. You can run it in LMS client mode but you need to control it from LMS or a controller app rather than its web interface. For casual listening I don't mind. MPD has some advantages but it involves a bunch of command line configuration stuff that exposes the unwary to the NIX way of life where things work well but seem to be Scotch taped together. I'm a retired programmer so I don't mind, but others might. The LMS approach is more of an appliance thing. You install the database/server centrally. You install clients everywhere you want them. You get the one ring app that rules them all. It doesn't offer the audio fine tuning you can get with Moode or Roon, but for day to day use you have everything you need on your phone.

One more thing, for a straight Raspbian solution, if you use something other than the standard Raspberry Pi audio, either a HAT or USB to a DAC, you do have to do some configuration with the Pi command line. You'll need to edit the config.txt file adding a dtoverlay for your HAT and for both, disabling the built in audio output. If you're unlucky you'll also have to configure your default ALSA device.

Last edited:

milus

@Barrelhouse_Sollly

I too, have a low end (old) QNAP NAS (firmware 4.3.3.1945, final update) and I can't manage to run LMS on it.
Can you share your solution? (Beware: I am not experienced with *nix :(, but I can manage with the command line a bit )

Thank you. :)

Barrelhouse Solly

Go to qnapclub.eu for versions of LMS specifically for Qnap. There's also a thread on the Slim Devices forum devoted to the Qnap version that's maintained by the author of the software. https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...TS-4-2-or-higher-and-x86_64-I686-X86-support-! The qnapclub site has several years of previous versions in addition to the current version. You have to get one that's specific to your processor family. The thing that worked for me was to install the ACL (access control list) plugin. I had been able to install the server but it couldn't see the contents of my music directory. Installing the plugin cleared up the security problem. The author of Qlogitechmediaserver is on the forum every day and is very helpful.
@Barrelhouse_Sollly

I too, have a low end (old) QNAP NAS (firmware 4.3.3.1945, final update) and I can't manage to run LMS on it.
Can you share your solution? (Beware: I am not experienced with *nix :(, but I can manage with the command line a bit )

Thank you. :)

milus

Go to qnapclub.eu for versions of LMS specifically for Qnap. There's also a thread on the Slim Devices forum devoted to the Qnap version that's maintained by the author of the software. https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...TS-4-2-or-higher-and-x86_64-I686-X86-support-! The qnapclub site has several years of previous versions in addition to the current version. You have to get one that's specific to your processor family. The thing that worked for me was to install the ACL (access control list) plugin. I had been able to install the server but it couldn't see the contents of my music directory. Installing the plugin cleared up the security problem. The author of Qlogitechmediaserver is on the forum every day and is very helpful.
Thank you!

Kelims

Hello, you who use moode.... If I adjust the software volume do I control the connected DAC itself or does the RPI already adjust the volume and send it to the DAC? Is this adjusting the volume to 64 bits? The thing is that when I have a DAC that has only software volume control itself it is not clear to me where the actual adjustment occurs.... I assume 64 bits is better than 32 bits.

amper42

Major Contributor
Hello, you who use moode.... If I adjust the software volume do I control the connected DAC itself or does the RPI already adjust the volume and send it to the DAC? Is this adjusting the volume to 64 bits? The thing is that when I have a DAC that has only software volume control itself it is not clear to me where the actual adjustment occurs.... I assume 64 bits is better than 32 bits.

I prefer to set the RPi4 in Fixed (0db output) volume under MPD configuration and use the miniDSPFlex volume control.

moode.png

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either way. Objectively you won’t hear a difference. Do the math 2 to the power of 32 and then convert to dB equals ca 192dB of dynamic range. Guess what humans can year under even the best conditions. 16bit equals roughly a dynamic range of while standing next to a starting 747 you can hear a leaf fall behind you. Can you hear that leaf?

But to answer your question the RPi adjusts the volume.

Kelims

Either way. Objectively you won’t hear a difference. Do the math 2 to the power of 32 and then convert to dB equals ca 192dB of dynamic range. Guess what humans can year under even the best conditions. 16bit equals roughly a dynamic range of while standing next to a starting 747 you can hear a leaf fall behind you. Can you hear that leaf?

But to answer your question the RPi adjusts the volume.
Thanks for your reply. In case I'm using the 64 bit version of Moode the volume adjustment is done on 64 bit which is better than 32bit for a good feeling... Thanks for explaining that Moode already adjusts the smoothness and not the DAC behind it...
. Ideal to then set the dac to maximum volume.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. In case I'm using the 64 bit version of Moode the volume adjustment is done on 64 bit which is better than 32bit for a good feeling... Thanks for explaining that Moode already adjusts the smoothness and not the DAC behind it...
. Ideal to then set the dac to maximum volume.
Yes 32 and even more 64 bit is not for audible sound quality anymore. It is there because computing power is cheap and because we can. Some professionals use 32bit recording now, but not because of sound quality but because it saves time and money setting up and conducting a recording in very simple words.

Setting the DAC to max volume gives you in most cases the best SNR on the analogue side of things.

davirix

Hi All,

I'm building my first sound system, which include a stand alone music server, not a NAS, a DAC/preamp, amp, OB speakers.

After this thread Raspberri Pi seems a no brainer to me for storing and reading music. The R Pi 4 cost approx 90 USD, I can store the OS and all my family music in a single 2TB SD card which sell for few USD - just checked on aliexpress -, and I could keep one or two spare SD cards as backup. That sounds too good to be true, please correct me if I am wrong or missing some major drawbacks. Alternatively an USB memory stick could be used for storage, and be more practical for adding new music.

I don't understand how SD card and USB memory stick have become cheap compared to other SS storage products of the same capacity. Reading speed? Reliability?

Looking forwad to insights before I go shopping.

Thanks,

D

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I'm building my first sound system, which include a stand alone music server, not a NAS, a DAC/preamp, amp, OB speakers.

After this thread Raspberri Pi seems a no brainer to me for storing and reading music. The R Pi 4 cost approx 90 USD, I can store the OS and all my family music in a single 2TB SD card which sell for few USD - just checked on aliexpress -, and I could keep one or two spare SD cards as backup. That sounds too good to be true, please correct me if I am wrong or missing some major drawbacks. Alternatively an USB memory stick could be used for storage, and be more practical for adding new music.

I don't understand how SD card and USB memory stick have become cheap compared to other SS storage products of the same capacity. Reading speed? Reliability?

Thanks,

D
My experience with no brand high capacity suspiciously cheap SD cards or memory sticks has been very bad (basically they were fake). Be aware and check customer comments. Good luck.

Tom C

Major Contributor
It is common for the SD card in a RPi to fail after so many read/write operations, and need replacement. I would opt for the USB stick for music storage. In fact, it’s possible to boot the pi from a USB stick, too. I’ve never bothered to try it, but it’s supposed to provide a faster boot.

wacomme

Here's my situation (problem) with RPi.

I had RPi working with Volumio in the Raspberry 7" display and had it running for two weeks. It then would boot intermittently, and then it died. I took the RPi out of it's display case, flashed several new good quality microSD cards with Volumio and Moode, but neither would boot. I'd get a solid red light (power), and 8 green light flashes and then nothing. With a little research it appears that 8 green light flashes indicate bad SDRAM. So it seems my RPi is faulty. I've tried to communicate with the EBay seller that the RPi he sold me isn't working, but I've heard no reply. Thus, I'm assuming I just have a bad RPi and nothing can be done about it. I'm contemplating buying another RPi, but at $100 I'm hesitating.

Does my rationale for what happened seem reasonable? Does it appear that my RPi is dead with bad SDRAM? Can it be repaired? Or, should I buy another RPi? With limited supply, it seems that EBay is my best bet for another RPi. Is that correct, or is there a better source for RPi's?

maltux

Hi All,

Thanks,

D
If you are in North America I might wait till middle - end of this year when Raspberry Pi's are available at MSRP. Currently the price is not even reasonable.
Raspberry Pi production news.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Agreed. Authorized sellers have agreements with RPi foundation not to sell above retail. I would expect one of them to accept a return on a faulty product.
Doesn’t eBay enforce a policy that the seller has to accept a return if the product is faulty or is not as advertised? Or has the return windows expired?
Sorry I can’t answer your question about whether or not the unit can be repaired.

MCH

Major Contributor
Here's my situation (problem) with RPi.

I had RPi working with Volumio in the Raspberry 7" display and had it running for two weeks. It then would boot intermittently, and then it died. I took the RPi out of it's display case, flashed several new good quality microSD cards with Volumio and Moode, but neither would boot. I'd get a solid red light (power), and 8 green light flashes and then nothing. With a little research it appears that 8 green light flashes indicate bad SDRAM. So it seems my RPi is faulty. I've tried to communicate with the EBay seller that the RPi he sold me isn't working, but I've heard no reply. Thus, I'm assuming I just have a bad RPi and nothing can be done about it. I'm contemplating buying another RPi, but at $100 I'm hesitating.

Does my rationale for what happened seem reasonable? Does it appear that my RPi is dead with bad SDRAM? Can it be repaired? Or, should I buy another RPi? With limited supply, it seems that EBay is my best bet for another RPi. Is that correct, or is there a better source for RPi's?
This is a subject i always wondered about, the reliability of the RPI for audio tasks (=good life? compared to other crazy projects)
I have currently 7 raspberry, some working 24/7, some even suffered my poor skills with the soldering iron, always crossing fingers when plugging back, and i have never had one failing.
Good luck? I don't know what is the experience of other members here, but I would be curious to hear about it.

davirix

It is common for the SD card in a RPi to fail after so many read/write operations, and need replacement. I would opt for the USB stick for music storage. In fact, it’s possible to boot the pi from a USB stick, too. I’ve never bothered to try it, but it’s supposed to provide a faster boot.
Thanks MarcosCh and Tom. Is there a minimum RAM requirement for running such system? I forgot to mention that the R Pi will be using Volumio or Daphile.

wacomme

This is a subject i always wondered about, the reliability of the RPI for audio tasks (=good life? compared to other crazy projects)
I have currently 7 raspberry, some working 24/7, some even suffered my poor skills with the soldering iron, always crossing fingers when plugging back, and i have never had one failing.
Good luck? I don't know what is the experience of other members here, but I would be curious to hear about it.
I do wonder if the problem with the SDRAM can be fixed? Is it worth sending it back to Raspberry, or if I could solder some new SDRAM onto the board?

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks MarcosCh and Tom. Is there a minimum RAM requirement for running such system? I forgot to mention that the R Pi will be using Volumio or Daphile.
You mention you want to use a raspberry pi 4.
The raspberry pi 4 comes with 1, 2, 4 or 8 gb. I don't know what server software you want to use, but I would think that any of them will be more than enough. Here in Europe i like the 2gb version because the price is quite good and i always found it good enough. Higher models are very expensive and i never had a 1gb one, as the savings are not great, so i can't compare.
Now if you ask about the size of the hard disk/SD card/memory stick to store the music. Well i guess that depends on the amount of music you have. I have a 1tb SSD connected to a raspberry pi 4b 2gb ram running LMS and it works flawlessly. I can imagine larger SSD work as well, i don't know what is the limit, if there is one. Nor i know if it is worth a faster, more expensive SSD vs a cheaper SD card/memory stick...
Hope it helps!

Top Bottom