• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

D

Deleted member 23982

Any measurements to back that up?
nope, just my ears and if you search you find other people saying that too ( mostly moode forum ) i guess its just less noise/interference
just try it if you use moode, its free :p im not sure if its possible with volumio and others, but DONT disable internal bluetooth if you dont have a bluetooth stick or moode will fail to boot (till you plug in a bt stick...)

MCH

Major Contributor
I use moode in 3 different pi models always with BT dissabled (because i don't use it) without any issue.
Also use their internal wifi and they all sound completely clean to me.

D

Deleted member 23982

use moode in 3 different pi models always with BT dissabled (because i don't use it) without any issue.
Also use their internal wifi and they all sound completely clean to me.
sure you have disabled the internal bluetooth component under the system settings? im not talking about having the bluetooth pairing agent disabled
well it doesnt sound bad if you have them active, but it sounds a "smitch" cleaner if you do so (specially if you disable wlan if i remember correct)

MCH

Major Contributor
Absolutely certain i have bluetooth disabled in system settings.
Works fine with pi zero w (had two of those), zero 2w and 4

D

Deleted member 23982

Absolutely certain i have bluetooth disabled in system settings.
im pretty sure there was a boot lockup if bt was disabled and no bt stick is inserted (even with a warning on that disable setting) i have to recheck later

0bs3rv3r

nope, just my ears and if you search you find other people saying that too ( mostly moode forum ) i guess its just less noise/interference

I had hoped ASR was better than this subjective, claiming it sounds better, just my ears, stuff.

D

Deleted member 23982

I had hoped ASR was better than this subjective, claiming it sounds better, just my ears, stuff.
well, i dont have test equipment but/and i actually trust my ears, because i get reproducable results with the same changes if i A/B test it, pretty sure you could enable both on my setup again without me noticing it tho :)

MCH

Major Contributor
im pretty sure there was a boot lockup if bt was disabled and no bt stick is inserted (even with a warning on that disable setting) i have to recheck later
What the warning says is that you need to have a bluetooth adapter attached and enabled before turning it (the bluetooth) "ON" (using big letters because it is how it is written in the warning :) )

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
D

Deleted member 23982

Archimago went looking for differences in DAC output due to WiFi vs. wired ethernet, smps vs. battery, touchscreen on/off, and found nothing but the already-known difference between the DAC's different inputs.
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-b-as.html
not quite (beside the touchscreen) what i was talking about with bt/wlan module off, i think he just "used" wlan or ethernet but didnt turned the controller off, tho i still have doubt that this is measureable that easy

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
not quite (beside the touchscreen) what i was talking about with bt/wlan module off, i think he just "used" wlan or ethernet but didnt turned the controller off, tho i still have doubt that this is measureable that easy
If you've got a phenomenon that's audible in properly controlled listening tests but not visible in measurements then it will be genuinely newsworthy, and probably lead to a research paper or two. Without properly controlled listening tests the most likely explanation remains that you are human, and subject to the same problems in sighted listening as other humans.

0bs3rv3r

Archimago went looking for differences in DAC output due to WiFi vs. wired ethernet, smps vs. battery, touchscreen on/off, and found nothing but the already-known difference between the DAC's different inputs.

I expected as much.

If you've got a phenomenon that's audible in properly controlled listening tests but not visible in measurements then it will be genuinely newsworthy, and probably lead to a research paper or two. Without properly controlled listening tests the most likely explanation remains that you are human, and subject to the same problems in sighted listening as other humans.

It's interesting how it extends to groups of people. One reports they hear a change, than another, the expectation is set, then a whole group hears it. I have seen this many times on audio forums.

infurnus99

Hello forks, I am very a noob at building a music setup for myself. I have a pair of SP-BS22LR speakers, Sherwood r507 receiver, topping e30 l30 stack, hifiman sundara. I have a library of dsd files stored in my hard disk and i planned to build a music server that send the files to my raspberry pi 4 for playing it. My question is:
1. Will 2 rpi (1 for the server and 1 for the player) increase the audio quality?
2. I've tried using LMS with the DSDPlayer plugin installed, but the LMS failed to scan the dsd files that I have on my hard disk.
3. What is the best possible way you would recommend for my setup?

0bs3rv3r

1. Will 2 rpi (1 for the server and 1 for the player) increase the audio quality?

No, it probably won't make much difference. Attaching a hard drive to the rPi is simplest and least likely to ever cause problems. You can make those files available on the network using dlna or even samba sharing or ftp, making them available for other devices to use if you ever need to. So the one rPi player is also a server for other things.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've limited experience with DSD (2l.no test files only) and usually run LMS on a separate home server rather than the Pi. That server used to be a 400MHz PC with 512MB though, to give you some idea of the low requirements for LMS.

1. I don't think 2 x RPi will increase audio quality unless you're doing something intensive like trying to use DSP on DSD content. I think I tested DSD playback with LMS on the piCorePlayer with a Pi 2B or 3B a while back, but wouldn't swear to it. I'd try a single Pi to start with, and only consider a second one if there were problems like pops, clicks or skips.

2. I'd guess a tagging problem. I've only tried the dsf test files from 2l.no and it picks up the tags on those.

gfx_1

The real problem with using a Raspberry Pi streamer these days is finding a Raspberry Pi.
they have some in stock but only the 2GB version and a bit more expensive than the MSRP they do predictions when they have some of the models back in stock. (end of feb, march, april)

Reactions: MCH

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
they have some in stock but only the 2GB version and a bit more expensive than the MSRP they do predictions when they have some of the models back in stock. (end of feb, march, april)

It varies. I have a 2GB on the way from Adafruit for a few dollars more than I would've paid a year ago, but certainly less than scalper prices.

It'll be nice if/when these get back to being a dime a dozen though, once you get one and start playing with it, they can be addictive and you start seeing use cases all over the place.

Smitty2k1

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Long time AV enthusiast here. I just bought a house and inherited a whole-home-in-ceiling audio system. The previous owner left it a bit of a mess and I've been busy cleaning up wiring and getting the audio gear in order. The amps and speakers are all sorted out now and I'm working on sources.

I've got a server running unRaid (SMB network shares and any docker or VM I want) that holds all my music (FLACs). I tried using a Chromecast Audio as my streamer, connected to Emby on my server. It worked well and the interface and cell phone control was great for both my partner and I anywhere in the house. However, it does not support gapless playback or replaygain.

So here we are, I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 from a friend and a spare Apple USB-C dongle/DAC already laying around from my cell phone. My question for the group is what software setup to use to get the following?

1) Play back FLAC files from my server with gapless playback (must) and replaygain (preferred).
2) Control this playback from a phone (Android) and have it easy enough that other family members can do it too.
3) Phone must be for playback control only - phone must not be required to be connected to network after playback is initiated.
4) Software must be free or nearly free (i.e. no monthly subscription or $699 Room license).

Photo of the recently cleaned up AV rack attached for fun

Attachments

• 20220125_205348.jpg
    20220125_205348.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom