• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A rant ...

garbulky

Major Contributor
Soundstage usually sounds wider if frequencies past 2k are recessed. I just experienced this with the Apex pinnacle 2 that my friend got on a loaner to audition... its a 12k tube amp. They brought it over my house this week and we plugged it into my DX7. In listening to Arkham Knights "This is a Test", we could clearly hear a fake soundstage in a song that doesn't aim to have one.
When listening to the same song through my A30, O2 or DX7 directly the song sounds as it should. So the rolloff made the soundstage artificially "larger", meaning that depending on the kind of music you listen to it might sound "better" even if it is distorting the music.

Your Multibit DAC cannot have more detail vs a well built DS DAC. They both decode the same data, just that the DS DAC runs at many times higher clockspeed to get the same work done with less physical resources.
For someone like me who has studied computer processor architecture as a hobby for my whole life, its easy for me to understand a given workload vs clockspeed vs time.
With tubes some of the harmonics can create some of that tube sound people talk about. The only tube headphone amp I heard is with the Mcintosh C2200. It wasn't very powerful and clipped early but it sounded nice though it had its issues. I haven't heard a dedicated tube headphone amp, though I would be interested in doing so.
I have heard some nice tube amps though but always preferred a better done solid state.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
With tubes some of the harmonics can create some of that tube sound people talk about. The only tube headphone amp I heard is with the Mcintosh C2200. It wasn't very powerful and clipped early but it sounded nice though it had its issues. I haven't heard a dedicated tube headphone amp, though I would be interested in doing so.
I have heard some nice tube amps though but always preferred a better done solid state.
I don't typically like or care about tube amps, I prefer solid state and accuracy. All I am saying is that frequency rolloff changes sound perception and some people may prefer one kind of rolloff or sound type depending on the kind of music they listen to.
Since I listen to so many genres, I find faults in my gear over time of changing genres. I typically "rotate" genres every few weeks.
I listen to many different types of classical (piano, violin, orchestra), oldschool/classic Jazz, Classic rock, R&B, Oldschool (late 80s through early 2000s) rap, electronica, house, goa psy trance, semi-progressive trance, drum and bass, some modern jazz.

Top Bottom