• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A question! What does "Hi-Fi" mean to you and what importance does High Fidelity Music Playback have in your Life?

mshenay

I figured this would be a great place to share my own history as an audiophile and music lover, but I'd also love to hear all of your thoughts on the matter to! An I do understand not every one here will agree or appreciate my take on "Zen-Dac" but I hope you'll still give the video a watch and join me in what I feel is an often overlooked discussion.

Katji

Major Contributor
hi-fi is short for high fidelity. (I suppose not all "millennials" know that.)
Fidelity means faithfulness - hence the dog's name, Fido. As in, faithful reproduction of the source material.
(Deliberately limited response. Otherwise we'd be talking about psychology.)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If it's like the tambourine comes out real good, and you can like dance to it and it has a nice beat to it.
So, I'd give it a 93, Dick.

1612900932336.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd also love to hear all of your thoughts on the matter to
I was brought up in a home full of music, mainly piano and singing. I made my own recordings on a mono valve tape recorder as a teenager and played LPs I'd bought on my Mother's radiogram but didn't even know HiFi existed until I left home to do an engineering apprenticeship.
I discovered it when I wanted something to play my LPs on.
I ordered a record deck recommended to me at my local music shop but when it came it had no cabinet and no cartridge. I had not expected this, so I decided to learn a bit about it.
I made a plinth for the record player and got a ceramic cartridge which, wired in mono, was an acceptable match for the microphone input of my tape recorder, which I could therefore play records through.
I built a fair few bits of kit in the early days when I had no money. Headphones weren't a thing at all really then, and I still only use them if speakers aren't available. There was no subjective audio fashion at all back then - all engineering and measuring it worked properly.
It was years before there was a portable music system and when the first Sony Walkman came out I saved up for one (it was very expensive in real money back then).
Anyway, I got busier and richer and ended up more easily being able to afford good reputable stuff to a greater extent than time to properly evaluate it. Subjective audio was in full fashion, as it still is - a lot cheaper than needing expensive measuring equipment and requiring zero technical education or knowledge, so it proliferated.
I ended up with some nice stuff and continued to enjoy music of many sorts as my main leisure activity.
LPs changed to CDs but I kept them, and the record players I had accumulated.
When I retired I decided to upgrade my DAC to one which had the ability to decode a wider range of different file types and, having lots of time, decided to evaluate them properly myself.
I compared models from very expensive to what I thought then was cheap (£1000) and found to my amazement that when I matched the levels accurately and got my daughter to swap between them the differences in sound which I was sure I heard really weren't there. I repeated this quite a bit since it went against what all the magazines said but no, whilst I could hear the differences some of the reconstruction filters made all the DACs were so close at matched levels I couldn't hear a difference enough to be sure which I was listening to.
This was a surprise to me.
Anyway, I am not deaf, I still hear differences between microphones, record players and speakers (and headphones) but not DACs.
I am also pretty sure as long as an amp has enough power (not all do) they sound so close to the same to be of no consequence too.
A powerful enough amp is still not cheap but DAC choice is all about functions, reliability, styling and so forth, not sound so if it has the facitities you need it can be the cheapest part of the system!
So after 52 years a hifi enthusiast, user, home builder and engineer I have come full circle from owning a DAC the price of a car to being content that the internal DAC in an integrated amplifier is indistinguishable from such an extravagance on music recordings.

I do have quite a few headphones but mainly for interest's sake, for enjoyment it is speakers, many hours per day.

Longshan

"Hi-Fi" is a marketing term with zero objective meaning.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I use the term Hi-Fi for High Fidelity meaning:
Excellent sound reproduction which lets you enjoy well made recordings and sounds are reproduced 'faithfully'.

In the old days when the term was invented it was coupled to, for these days, very basic specs that now are not challenging to meet but in those days were above 'average'. I would not call the old Hi-Fi very high fidelity these days.

OP
mshenay

mshenay

I use the term Hi-Fi for High Fidelity meaning:
Excellent sound reproduction which lets you enjoy well made recordings and sounds are reproduced 'faithfully'.

In the old days when the term was invented it was coupled to, for these days, very basic specs that now are not challenging to meet but in those days were above 'average'. I would not call the old Hi-Fi very high fidelity these days.

You've been around long enough and I don't think I've asked yet, what keeps you in the hobby? What do you enjoy about it

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, this hobby is probably all about getting one thing in life under control. It's complicated enough to motivate for a long time, but at the same time you have a sense of achievement every now and then and you realize that you're at least getting closer to the (unreachable) goal.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The good old DIN spec 45500 http://brakken.no/el2/avgrensa/din45500.pdf
Unfortunately it was replaced in 1996 by the EN 61305 which instead of making the requirements stricter now only contains procedures for measuring and specifying the performance characteristics, but no longer contains any minimum requirements and is another sign of the degeneration of the audio market...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You've been around long enough and I don't think I've asked yet, what keeps you in the hobby? What do you enjoy about it

The electronics, listening and enjoying music once in a while.
In my case, the last few years, I need to listen to music (on headphones) at least 2 or 3 hours a week to keep my particular kind of tinnitus low.
This will only work for my specific tinnitus and not for most other tinnitus.
Still enjoy my 'personal therapy' every bit as much as when it wasn't more or less obligatory. It's no punishment listen to music you love.

For me it needs to be hi-fi. Crappy recordings, regardless how great the song/performance, I won't play. Needs to be well recorded. This is where the hi-fi part shows its ugly side. crap sounds like crap (not glossed over) and great recordings sound great.

To me hi-fi means excellent sound reproduction quality. Not specs related or definitions from others.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HiFi means the Euphonics Knob is set to zero.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was brought up in a home full of music, mainly piano and singing. I made my own recordings on a mono valve tape recorder as a teenager and played LPs I'd bought on my Mother's radiogram but didn't even know HiFi existed until I left home to do an engineering apprenticeship.
I discovered it when I wanted something to play my LPs on.
I ordered a record deck recommended to me at my local music shop but when it came it had no cabinet and no cartridge. I had not expected this, so I decided to learn a bit about it.
I made a plinth for the record player and got a ceramic cartridge which, wired in mono, was an acceptable match for the microphone input of my tape recorder, which I could therefore play records through.
I built a fair few bits of kit in the early days when I had no money. Headphones weren't a thing at all really then, and I still only use them if speakers aren't available. There was no subjective audio fashion at all back then - all engineering and measuring it worked properly.
It was years before there was a portable music system and when the first Sony Walkman came out I saved up for one (it was very expensive in real money back then).
Anyway, I got busier and richer and ended up more easily being able to afford good reputable stuff to a greater extent than time to properly evaluate it. Subjective audio was in full fashion, as it still is - a lot cheaper than needing expensive measuring equipment and requiring zero technical education or knowledge, so it proliferated.
I ended up with some nice stuff and continued to enjoy music of many sorts as my main leisure activity.
LPs changed to CDs but I kept them, and the record players I had accumulated.
When I retired I decided to upgrade my DAC to one which had the ability to decode a wider range of different file types and, having lots of time, decided to evaluate them properly myself.
I compared models from very expensive to what I thought then was cheap (£1000) and found to my amazement that when I matched the levels accurately and got my daughter to swap between them the differences in sound which I was sure I heard really weren't there. I repeated this quite a bit since it went against what all the magazines said but no, whilst I could hear the differences some of the reconstruction filters made all the DACs were so close at matched levels I couldn't hear a difference enough to be sure which I was listening to.
This was a surprise to me.
Anyway, I am not deaf, I still hear differences between microphones, record players and speakers (and headphones) but not DACs.
I am also pretty sure as long as an amp has enough power (not all do) they sound so close to the same to be of no consequence too.
A powerful enough amp is still not cheap but DAC choice is all about functions, reliability, styling and so forth, not sound so if it has the facitities you need it can be the cheapest part of the system!
So after 52 years a hifi enthusiast, user, home builder and engineer I have come full circle from owning a DAC the price of a car to being content that the internal DAC in an integrated amplifier is indistinguishable from such an extravagance on music recordings.

I do have quite a few headphones but mainly for interest's sake, for enjoyment it is speakers, many hours per day.

What speakers do you own/ listen to the most?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think of the term "hi-fi" much, just refers to high fidelity (and has been somewhat abused, like "audiophile" or its marketing cousins "mid-fi" and "low-fi"). I do like good gear and have a bunch of it, use it all the time as music is something I enjoy daily.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Bass keeps pumpin' thumpin' jumpin'.... life would be miserable without hifi audio.

JSmith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers do you own/ listen to the most?
I own:-
KEF LS50
Proac EBS
Yamaha NS1000
Harbeth P3ES with Xtender
Devialet Phantom silver
Goldmund Epilog 1&2
Tune Audio Anima.
I listen to the Goldmund speakers far more than the others, but at mainly because they are in the room I am usually in :)

Top Bottom