• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Question For Genelec Owners.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
The vertical angle is continuously variable, so there’s no easy way to duplicate that angle on the other stand.
Interesting! So even if you twist the screws the exact same number of times, they’re not aligned? I would check on mine but I trust that GLM calibrates them well.

aikofan

Interesting! So even if you twist the screws the exact same number of times, they’re not aligned? I would check on mine but I trust that GLM calibrates them well.
It sounds like your stands are different from mine. On mine, the vertical tilt is controlled by a pin joint (not sure if that’s the right term) in which you rotate the back plate to the desired angle and then tighten a screw to hold that position. So it works similarly to the joint on a mic stand. But as I also mentioned, none of that even matters because the tolerances are off so much that the speakers wouldn’t be aligned even if the stands were perfectly aligned. So I aligned the speakers themselves by sight, without regard to the stands.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just as a point of information the grills on the low frequency drivers are not parallel to the flat back plate on the speakers I have.

PyramidElectric

The answer is: Eyeball it. This may sound sloppy, but beacuse the top (and all sides) of the enclosure is curved, if they're not aligned the same they look very different to each other.

txbdan

I use these stands with my 8030c, but I’m unable to precisely align either the vertical tilt or horizontal toe-in on these stands. The vertical angle is continuously variable, so there’s no easy way to duplicate that angle on the other stand. And on the horizontal plane, if I align the stand bases, the attached speaker is slightly off, as if there’s a twist somewhere. So basically, I have to align the tilt on both axes by eyeballing, and when the speakers are aligned, the stand bases are visibly misaligned. Also, there’s no use matching toe-in to the millimeter, since I noticed one of my tweeters is slightly wall-eyed. But even though I’m unable to achieve a perfectly symmetrical set-up, I hear no channel imbalance, and I’m fine with it.

I have these stands and they have notches in the vertical tilt adjustment.. maybe try tightening it a bit and angling them so you feel the notches?

aikofan

I have these stands and they have notches in the vertical tilt adjustment.. maybe try tightening it a bit and angling them so you feel the notches?
That’s odd, I could have sworn mine were just swinging up and down freely when I loosened the wingnut. Maybe I had loosened it too much.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you fixating on this? I don't really think a degree or two, maybe even a lot more would be audible. Genelec's generally have good dispersion.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Are you fixating on this? I don't really think a degree or two, maybe even a lot more would be audible. Genelec's generally have good dispersion.
Most of the stuff people on this forum are fixated on what is inaudible.;)
However, as objectivists we like to measure things. In general having a bit of a listen and then pronouncing that things are wonderfull and all that measuring is obsessive and unnecessary isn't really the norm here on ASR.
The Genelecs as you write generally have a good dispersion pattern. However, if one is going to take measurements with the intention of using DSP to correct room anomalies, it may be helpful to have the speakers pointing in the right direction.
A 2 degree elevation at 1 metre gives 0.03m at the 1 metre position.
Increase this to 4 metres and one gets 0.139 at the 4 metre position.
Increase the angle of error from vertical to 5 degrees, easily done when setting by eye, one gets 0.349 metres.
Having a plus value of 5 degrees with one speaker and minus value of 5 degrees on the other speaker gives 0.698 metres or 2.29 feet at 4 metre listening distance.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the stuff people on this forum are fixated on what is inaudible.;)
However, as objectivists we like to measure things. In general having a bit of a listen and then pronouncing that things are wonderfull and all that measuring is obsessive and unnecessary isn't really the norm here on ASR.
The Genelecs as you write generally have a good dispersion pattern. However, if one is going to take measurements with the intention of using DSP to correct room anomalies, it may be helpful to have the speakers pointing in the right direction.
A 2 degree elevation at 1 metre gives 0.03m at the 1 metre position.
Increase this to 4 metres and one gets 0.139 at the 4 metre position.
Increase the angle of error from vertical to 5 degrees, easily done when setting by eye, one gets 0.349 metres.
Having a plus value of 5 degrees with one speaker and minus value of 5 degrees on the other speaker gives 0.698 metres or 2.29 feet at 4 metre listening distance.
I can agree partly with what you say. But if you want to go the next step then SAM Genelec’s with GLM. Is a smarter method.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

I can agree partly with what you say. But if you want to go the next step then SAM Genelec’s with GLM. Is a smarter method.
It is, or would be if I had that kind of money to spend on a stereo system.:p

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is, or would be if I had that kind of money to spend on a stereo system.:p
When you consider that the amps are built in, you don’t actually need DAC just a digital source and room correction is also built in. They are pretty well priced. I can’t afford the “Ones” either but the SAM line is within reach.

Milesian

Weird. Had that same issue today trying to match the tilt on both my G Three speakers. Came closest with this adjustable angle tool.
E851F082-FC03-4A78-BE77-5673FA904508.jpeg

Top Bottom