• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A question about Edifier speakers

Crow

My first post here, I've been lurking around and learning.
I'm not an audiophile, I only like music and a friend from another forum told me about this place, I bought a DAC (Topping D10s) and later a Raspberry 4 for streaming and I'm using an old stereo. Now I want to update the speakers and I've been looking for something inexpensive but with good sound.
The room where I listen music (and play and work) is small 11 X 11 X 9,6 feet.
Have you tried the Edifier R1280DBs? is there another option in that price range?
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
OP
Crow

Crow

Welcome to ASR.

Price vary based on region and country.
Can you give us a budget instead?
Thank you for your answer
I just had the opportunity to listen to the Edifier and it was not what I expected so I'm looking now to the Fluance Signature but those are passive speakers.
I'm in Mexico, the Fluance here are at 236 dollars (4,860 Mexican pesos), at this moment 250 dls is what I want to spend.

witwald

Forum Donor
I just had the opportunity to listen to the Edifier and it was not what I expected so I'm looking now to the Fluance Signature but those are passive speakers.
I'm in Mexico, the Fluance here are at 236 dollars (4,860 Mexican pesos), at this moment 250 dls is what I want to spend.
The Edifier speakers have 4-inch woofers, which are quite small. You would need to partner them with a subwoofer to have any chance of decent sound quality of a full-range nature.

As you are also considering passive loudspeakers, like the Fluance Signature, then it would seem that you already have an amplifier. In that case, passive loudspeakers may offer the best value for money.

The Fluance Signature model has a 5-inch woofer. The manufacturer's specifications say that its frequency response is 60Hz – 20kHz, without any dB limits. But even so, in a review it has been assessed as rolling off under 200Hz. That's probably going to reduce their sound quality in your listening room. Again, a subwoofer would be expected to be needed under such circumstances.

If a powered loudspeaker is your preference then you could start looking at the JBL 305P MkII Powered 5" two-way studio monitors, which have a frequency response (±3 dB) of 49Hz – 20kHz. Then there are the slightly bigger but a little more expensive JBL 306P MkII Powered 6.5" two-way studio monitors, which may be too far outside your budget. At a later stage, as funds permit, you could add the JBL LSR310S 10" Powered Studio Subwoofer to round out your system.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Fluance is a budget brand, and all the spinoramas I've seen have horrible frequency response. I would avoid.

I would be looking at Kali LP-6v1 (about to be discontinued, so there's a clearance sale for US$150/ea (with some stores selling for US$120/ea). The only issue with this, is you might not like the hiss. Hard to say until you buy and test it for your environment.
CEA2034.jpg
If that's still too high, I would be looking at Neumi BS5P for US$130/pair (amazon.com), just make sure to stuff the ports with microfiber cloth (or whatever) because otherwise frequency response will have huge nulls. Here's the spinorama with the ports stuffed:
CEA2034.jpg

Lastly, a step up would be the Kali LP-6v2, because it has much lower noise floor (aka hiss), but you pay a bit more. US$200/ea I believe. I know it's outside of your budget, but still I like to see what's next best thing.
CEA2034.jpg

Oh, I wouldn't purchase Edifiers R1280DBs, since their frequency response is just aweful and full of resonances.
I understand Amir still recommended the R1280 (same but without bluetooth or subwoofer output), but man, I wouldn't buy this since options like Neumi and Kali's exist.
CEA2034.jpg

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LP-6 v1 was my first thought, also, but the cheapest price I can find online in Mexico is about $200 each, so $400 for a pair. JBL and KRK are similarly expensive. @Crow, can you order from the USA? How much import tax will you have to pay if you do?

OP
Crow

Crow

A very complete answer @sweetchaos , thank you
I had the Neumi in my Amazon Buying List but then the Edifier appeared. As @Walter says the Kali cost the equivalent of 400 dollars pair here, I don't think I'll buy them unless some family in Tx want to receive them until I go to the border, I'll see tomorrow.
Thank you guys, I think I have enough information either to buy right now or keep the money and put a little more in December or January. I have speakers so I can wait a couple of months for something more satisfying.

OP
Crow

Crow

Oh and @Walter import taxes are high and some vendors charge a lot for delivery, usually we buy in Tx and recover the taxes to pay later in Mexico or buy in Christmas when we can import the double without paying.
This time I will see what does it says my son in law :D, his family lives in Tx

Walter

Oh and @Walter import taxes are high and some vendors charge a lot for delivery, usually we buy in Tx and recover the taxes to pay later in Mexico or buy in Christmas when we can import the double without paying.
This time I will see what does it says my son in law :D, his family lives in Tx
That is what I thought. I used to live in Tijuana, and I bought everything except food, beer, and tequila across the border.

Walter

FYI, someone stated that Guitar Center is selling the LP-6 in store only for $120/$130 each for white/black if you have anyone who can actually go in person to one. That is presumably a closeout price now that the V2 is out. Or you can get the black ones for $140 on Amazon, or the white ones for $140 online at Guitar Center, until they run out.

OP
Crow

Crow

FYI, someone stated that Guitar Center is selling the LP-6 in store only for $120/$130 each for white/black if you have anyone who can actually go in person to one. That is presumably a closeout price now that the V2 is out. Or you can get the black ones for $140 on Amazon, or the white ones for $140 online at Guitar Center, until they run out.
It seems Guitar Center is selling open box speakers. I think I'll go with Amazon IF my son in law family want to do me a favor

Willem

Major Contributor
Speaker availability and pricing varies enormously between countries, so what may be a good price competitive suggestion in one market, can be badly overpriced or unavailable in another market.
So with all those caveats, I would think that if budget is tight and the OP already has a decent amplifier (what is it?), passive speakers are likely to give the best bang for the buck. Amir quite recently tested and very much liked the Wharfedale Diamond 220s. I bought a pair a year ago for a secundary system and only paid 125 euros or some $150 for them. That was a clearance price, and they currently go for 150 euros in the Netherlands (tax included), but that too is a very good price. I share Amir's appreciation for their sound quality. They are clean and smooth, and can play loud enough for a small to medium room. Their limitation is in the lower frequencies, indeed just as Amir noticed. But what bass there is is good, and probably enough in a small room. If not, a subwoofer will easily cure this, and also address potential power limitations of an amplifier.

OP
Crow

Crow

Thank you @Willem , right now I'm waiting for news from my son in law about the Kali Lp6, I hope Guitar Center still have stock.
Crossing fingers :)

OP
Crow

Crow

Well, my son in law called today, he bought the Kali Lp6 speakers and I will go to the border in the next days to pick them up.
Guitar Center 141 dollars each including taxes which I may reclaim.
Thank you for your help.
At some point next year it will be an amplifier, or so I hope :)

hexinho

Ah I was about to endorse the Edifiers but with recommendation to apply EQ settings as per the thread linked;

I got the 1280DBs and paired it with the T5 subwoofer and am pretty pleased with the outcome, but hey, maybe I'm just easier to please.

OP
Crow

Crow

@Walter as long as I remember (and I'm old) we did that every time we bought electronics, other things was not worth the time, even when I changed my residence to center Mexico it was a common practice when I went to the border: buy a stereo, TV, or computer; buy a form, fill the form, recover the taxes; cross the border, pay Mexican taxes, take the highway.
Since the 90's with NAFTA it became easier to buy more variety of brands in Mexico, the prices were similar and you got a guarantee, right now all my electric and electronics appliances were bought in Mexico except (maybe, I don't remember) the slow cooker.
Since 2014 or so I stopped buying in Tx, except for the occasional bottle of whiskey some clothes (wife always insisted) and a few games, there was no reason so I don't know the amount of taxes in Texas right now, I'll see if it's worth. There is a 150 dollars free import ceiling for every citizen, I'll go with my son so I won't have to pay a cent in Mexico.

Top Bottom