• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A proposal for a Subjective Rating System

digicidal

Major Contributor
People have preferences and someone who has listened to 5 headphones total doesnt hold a candle to someone who listened to over 100. But then the guy who listened to 100 might not even care anymore.

Not sure I agree with this... although I get your point. As far as subjective analysis is concerned, if the 5 HP guy is a trained listener (or studio engineer, possibly musician) he might be more accurate - at least on those 5 models. The guy who has listened to 100 is almost certainly a professional reviewer... probably shilling products from one or more manufacturers - rather than simply stating their preferences.

Of course, if they include some objective analysis as well - then I'll choose that reviewer even if it's their first review. ;)

Zerimas

I was thinking about something like this subject a while ago. I was thinking that we establish some kind of parameters for descriptions of sound. I am talking about linking terms like "bright", "dark", "muddy", "airy", et cetera with some kind of objective measurements. I don't how useful this would be for hi-fi, but for pursuits like music (I play guitar) where the goal isn't reproduction it could be useful.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Subjective rating system:
1: Orgasmic
2: Pleasurable
3: Neutral
4: Lo Fi,
5: Ear bleeding.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Audiophile rating system:
1: Synergistic perfection embodied!
2: Aside from a few tweaks, getting there.
3: Good enough for mortals, but a long way to go.
4: Cheap cables prevent analysis.
5: Worse than BOSE!

But seriously... isn't at least 90% of the subjective review industry about eloquent prose and pulling random values out of thin air? Why bother trying to make it into a pseudo-objective process in the first place? Makes even less sense to me than giving names to the scales on a measurement chart.
This one lands squarely in the Holyshit Range (otherwise known as >130dB SNR). However the FR shows a little bit of deviation in the Tinkerbell Frequency - possibly due to the filter roll-off.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
My proposal: (applies to everything else too, eg. beer, women, cars)
1. Nice
2. OK
3. Bad

Top Bottom