• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A physicist explains why we need cable lifters...

Berlin

In this two-part video series, Roland Gauder, co-founder of German loudspeaker manufacturer Gauder Acoustics, explains the influence of speaker cables on sound.

At the beginning of the first and towards the end of the second video, he claims that the electromagnetic field surrounding cables is disturbed when they lie on the ground. For that reason he recommends to use cable lifters. Unfortunately he does not show any data...

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course there is no data, it would ruin his whole argument.

At the end of the first video, he claims our hearing system is very sensitive, and that someone familiar with their hi-fi system can hear differences swapping out cables. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our hearing is incredibly tolerant and adaptable, which makes reliably performing subjective audio tests difficult. The device under test needs to be switched quickly, with both the test provider and test recipient unaware of the switch.

raif71

Major Contributor
1673514377824.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In the span of time it took him to make those two videos, he could have measured the effects he is talking about, realizing he didn't need to make that video. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I cannot thank the OP enough for starting this thread.
It has had a catalytic effect on me.
In fact, I am starting a new audiophile tweak company later this afternoon.

Take audio system performance to a new level!
Forget cable lifters!!
Try Dr. Hardy's* floor lowerers!
Lower your physical floor and your noise floor at the same time!
30 day complete money back guarantee**.

3708acf3-b5fe-417b-9445-ca978e530b91_1920x1080.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a hostage video? I’m looking for coded messages….

D

Deleted member 48726

Why lifters? Wouldn't a mattress work equally well?
Uh oh! Do you know what those springy-ma-thingies inside are made out of? -Yeah, you guessed it. It absolutely steels the sound signal. Have at it if you like your sound degraded and springy.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I think the audiophool snake oil faction of the audiophile fraternity, needs to understand how our subjective judgement is just so very easily influenced by both external (suggestive) and internal (health) influences. Perfectly sane sensible well balanced people can have their perceived experiences totally altered by drugs (not always recreational ones either) and some unfortunates, by a chemical imbalance in their brains not of their choosing. Our perceptions are so delicately balanced it really doesn't take much to change them and effin' cable lifters have absolutely NOTHING to do with it in my experience. Rant over - as you were :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Uh oh! Do you know what those springy-ma-thingies inside are made out of? -Yeah, you guessed it. It absolutely steels the sound signal. Have at it if you like your sound degraded and springy.
Mine is a latex futon. Perhaps if I use it, the soundstage will be so drastically changed that Death Metal will turn into Gospel.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait...this whole thread, and no facepalm? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Top Bottom