• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A no-taking-sides, no judgment classification of the 4 types of Audiophile. "The audiophile bestiary".

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Robbo I respectfully disagree. I still think it is a useful exercise. You might have seen the "political compass" questionnaire, where you are asked a series of questions about where you stand on various issues like tax, welfare, migrants, gun control, religion, etc. Based on those answers, you are placed on a compass with one axis being "Left" and "Right", and "Authoritarian" vs. "Libertarian". We could formulate an "Audiophile Compass" and i'll bet it would be an excellent predictor of where people fall in those categories he mentioned. You know, questions like this:

Answer all questions on a scale of 1 - 10, 1: strongly disagree, 5: Neutral or no opinion, 10: strongly agree.
- Power cords make an audible difference.
- I am happy to make purchasing decisions for components such as DAC's and amplifiers on measurements alone.
- I am willing to spend more than $10,000 on a component apart from speakers.
- The difference in sound between DAC's is negligible.
- The difference in sound between amplifiers is negligible.
- I am confident in my ability to hear differences in components without an ABX test.
- A 328kbps MP3 file is sonically indistinguishable from a FLAC file.

.... and so on. Of course it has to be rewritten so that all the scores tally and weighting adjusted for the different questions but this was something I just whipped up to demonstrate. Then after you collect your data you need to perform statistical analysis.

Once you have your compass, you can do a survey of the members and gauge the "temperature" of a forum or group of people. Besides being of benefit to potential marketers or advertisers, it may be useful to repeat the experiment in other forums to find out whether they might be places you would like to hang out, because the likelihood of receiving replies that you perceive to be useful (i.e. aligns with your particular audio beliefs) would be higher in those places. This is science too.
It may be possible to do something like that, just I don't see it as useful for the reasons I mentioned.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A combination of these is possible. I'd like the most faithful reproduction (similar to an objectivist) and spend least money (nominal) and have my gear also look good which contributes to how nicely I feel while I enjoy music (romantic). I might add that faithful sound sounds good to me as the owner (subjectivist)

birdog1960

Only if what the fisherman desires is to learn the art of presenting the fly. I am not a fly fisherman but I know more than a few. Fly fishing is not the most efficient way to get fish any more than golf is the most efficient method of moving a ball into a hole a quarter mile away. Both are about learning proficiency with the tools.
But what if you really enjoy catching and eating fresh trout? I'd be bait spinning every time. And I wouldn't be fetching flies from overhanging limbs. To each his own...And while fly fisherman and golfers can be considered artists, I've seen plenty engaging in both that were best suited for crayons.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But what if you really enjoy catching and eating fresh trout? I'd be bait spinning every time. And I wouldn't be fetching flies from overhanging limbs. To each his own...And while fly fisherman and golfers can be considered artists, I've seen plenty engaging in both that were best suited for crayons.
I wasn’t expressing a preference or passing judgement. I am not a golfer or a fly fisherman. I was just explaining that its not about catching efficiency. I fish for other species and I prefer artificial lures. It’s mostly because I don’t like messing with bait and also because sitting in a boat drowning bait is a bit boring.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just bring me a 30oz or better Porterhouse steak,
or the same in a thick slice of Prime Rib
with a well cooked sweet potato on the side

birdog1960

I wasn’t expressing a preference or passing judgement. I am not a golfer or a fly fisherman. I was just explaining that its not about catching efficiency. I fish for other species and I prefer artificial lures. It’s mostly because I don’t like messing with bait and also because sitting in a boat drowning bait is a bit boring.
When we moved to the mountains, I was determined to master (or at least become decent) at fly fishing. Streams here are tight with many trees. A roll cast is usually the only option. Just didn't enjoy the fuss plus my vision isn't up to working with tippet.. Catching hellgrammites with a seine (for smallmouth) is all part of the fun. To bring it back to topic, I look for something similar in audio/video equipment: proficient but not fussy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had a good friend who appeared to be more passionate about making and collecting the fly's than any actual fishing.
A lot like some audiophiles I guess. LOL

birdog1960

I had a good friend who appeared to be more passionate about making and collecting the fly's than any actual fishing.
A lot like some audiophiles I guess. LOL
Yes, the dudes with the new high dollar waders and fancy vests are sure to be in the trees all day. I usually wade in sneakers and old khakis but I have o admit, I fall sometimes.

Top Bottom