• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A no-taking-sides, no judgment classification of the 4 types of Audiophile. "The audiophile bestiary".

Focus SE

No it is the legacy iv4 ultra. It is a class d with four separate internal boards each having its own transformer. Each board produces 610 w into 8os and 1000 to 4 ohms. So it’s a juice hog.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it is the legacy iv4 ultra. It is a class d with four separate internal boards each having its own transformer. Each board produces 610 w into 8os and 1000 to 4 ohms. So it’s a juice hog.
OK - that is a serious bit of hardware.

But it does have balanced inputs. Assuming your system is not too complex and. you don't have a variety of analogue sources, then you could eliminate audible ground noise by using a Dac with balanced outputs and using balanced connections to your amp.

I'd also point out that the transformers in that amp are part of a switch mode power supply - so they won't be contributing to any mains frequency hum - they will be operating at a much higher frequency - usually ultrasonic, so inaudible.

Last edited:

Focus SE

I had no plans on getting this amp.I think we can all agree it’s borderline audiophool. That being said I have zero regrets. This was a dream setup I never thought it would be in my reach. I found the speakers and amp used for less than 1/3 retail. Even at that price it’s beyond rational thought but it’s always been my dream. I was begrudgingly going to settle for a lesser system. So I bought the Marantz avr and amp before I got the Legacy speakers and legacy amp. . the Marantz cinema 60 does not have balanced out puts and based on cost outlay it’s going to be mine for awhile. Currently I’m ok and have no hum because it only occurs when I introduce the tv to the avr via hdmi. Without the legacy amp all we’re connected with no issue so I’ve deduced it’s the Legacy amp. Tv surround is less than 5% of use so I have plenty of time to move things around and play with it.
Thanks again for taking the time, you can teach an old dog new tricks. They’re just harder to train. I do appreciate your taking the time to help

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no plans on getting this amp.I think we can all agree it’s borderline audiophool. That being said I have zero regrets. This was a dream setup I never thought it would be in my reach. I found the speakers and amp used for less than 1/3 retail. Even at that price it’s beyond rational thought but it’s always been my dream. I was begrudgingly going to settle for a lesser system. So I bought the Marantz avr and amp before I got the Legacy speakers and legacy amp. . the Marantz cinema 60 does not have balanced out puts and based on cost outlay it’s going to be mine for awhile. Currently I’m ok and have no hum because it only occurs when I introduce the tv to the avr via hdmi. Without the legacy amp all we’re connected with no issue so I’ve deduced it’s the Legacy amp. Tv surround is less than 5% of use so I have plenty of time to move things around and play with it.
Thanks again for taking the time, you can teach an old dog new tricks. They’re just harder to train. I do appreciate your taking the time to help
Just an idea - if your TV has an optical out, try putting that into the AVR. Should eliminate the extra ground loop if you don't need the HDMI for the picture from AVR to TV.

Focus SE

Just an idea - if your TV has an optical out, try putting that into the AVR. Should eliminate the extra ground loop if you don't need the HDMI for the picture from AVR to TV.
Thank you I did try that and got no sound. I won’t hijack this thread or your overly generous time helping me. The avr menu is on screen tv and I’m going to pull the components out and really think it through when putting it back together and finding the setting on the tv or avr that makes that connection live. I need to disconnect the speakers and throw my old cheap ones. Haha I “subjectively” jumped in way over my head and swimming as hard as I can

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you I did try that and got no sound. I won’t hijack this thread or your overly generous time helping me. The avr menu is on screen tv and I’m going to pull the components out and really think it through when putting it back together and finding the setting on the tv or avr that makes that connection live. I need to disconnect the speakers and throw my old cheap ones. Haha I “subjectively” jumped in way over my head and swimming as hard as I can

Good-oh. Hopefully you can sort it with a little time.

*walks away looking over his shoulder, enviously, at those speakers and amp.*

:)

Focus SE

*walks away looking over his shoulder, enviously, at those speakers and amp.*

:)
High jack!!
Ok I have to respond to that. I’ve had speaker envy most of my life!!!!
I’m telling you I still pinch myself every time I turn them on. Admittedly it was a totally subjectivist purchase. But a close friend of mine has the speakers so I knew exactly what they sounded like in a home. Not just an expo. He runs his with all McIntosh components. Even used, my checkbook says absolutely not. I will say every person that has listened has just looked at me in disbelief and amazement. I am so far over my pay grade it’s not funny. If the speakers hadn’t popped up at the price they did, it would not be a reality ever in my life. Also I would have considered separates rather than the AVR. If you’re personally in the Chicago area come have a listen. To honor this thread. On the objectivism point just about everyone including you can tell me more about the specs on my equipment than I will ever be able to truly understand. But I would not even describe this as listening to musical sound but being part of it. Are there better sounding speakers? I’ll bet there is but I’ve never heard them in a home setting. Subjectively my personal preference of a speaker with clear powerful defined bass has never before met my ears. (Based on a forty year memory the Infinity IRS Betas did) And I’ll take a wild guess and say if I heard better speakers I’d have to live in them because I couldn’t afford them and a house. I listened to 38k B&W I wouldn’t pay $1k for. Can an objectivist easily point to an amp that would sound equally good? Most certainly yes but at the price I got this I would find it hard to believe it to be a better value albeit audiophool territory. Retail price far exceeds my point of diminishing returns. All I can compare my set up to is my buddies and I “feel” as though the sound I have equals his. I hope no one misunderstands this as bragging but me being extremely great full to have the luck for this to fall into place. Some may even listen and say they suck this is where the subjectivity comes in. Thanks again I’m having fun

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
High jack!!
Ok I have to respond to that. I’ve had speaker envy most of my life!!!!
I’m telling you I still pinch myself every time I turn them on. Admittedly it was a totally subjectivist purchase. But a close friend of mine has the speakers so I knew exactly what they sounded like in a home. Not just an expo. He runs his with all McIntosh components. Even used, my checkbook says absolutely not. I will say every person that has listened has just looked at me in disbelief and amazement. I am so far over my pay grade it’s not funny. If the speakers hadn’t popped up at the price they did, it would not be a reality ever in my life. Also I would have considered separates rather than the AVR. If you’re personally in the Chicago area come have a listen. To honor this thread. On the objectivism point just about everyone including you can tell me more about the specs on my equipment than I will ever be able to truly understand. But I would not even describe this as listening to musical sound but being part of it. Are there better sounding speakers? I’ll bet there is but I’ve never heard them in a home setting. Subjectively my personal preference of a speaker with clear powerful defined bass has never before met my ears. (Based on a forty year memory the Infinity IRS Betas did) And I’ll take a wild guess and say if I heard better speakers I’d have to live in them because I couldn’t afford them and a house. I listened to 38k B&W I wouldn’t pay $1k for. Can an objectivist easily point to an amp that would sound equally good? Most certainly yes but at the price I got this I would find it hard to believe it to be a better value albeit audiophool territory. Retail price far exceeds my point of diminishing returns. All I can compare my set up to is my buddies and I “feel” as though the sound I have equals his. I hope no one misunderstands this as bragging but me being extremely great full to have the luck for this to fall into place. Some may even listen and say they suck this is where the subjectivity comes in. Thanks again I’m having fun
Hi

It wasn't meant to be a criticism** and I'm sorry if it came over that way. You don't have to justify your purchase to me or to anyone else.

**it was intended to make you feel good about your lucky purchase opportunity.

Peace :)

lisgotan

I just saw this thread. I think I can be classified as romantic.

Because to me, at the end of the day, I must be able to enjoy listening to the music I am playing. It's the experience I am after.

Reviews from ASR do help me in selecting a gear, esp. When looking for 2nd ones online. Eg. I came across amirm reviewing a DAC that's measures well, then happen to see it on sale at a good price, I might buy it to try out. If it's sound great to me, I will keep it. If it doesn't, then I will just sell it off. Doesn't lose much since i bought 2nd hand.

I see it as if the sound is not good to me, it's because of my personal taste and what I like/dislike rather than equipment fault.

Btw, one DAC I wanted to buy is the RME dac2. Read amirm's review and it's great. Just that I feel it's quite expensive so yet to get it. I also tried the concoz qxd1 after rereading amirm's review, but sold off because i didn't quite like it. For some reason, the sibilance irritates me after prolong listening (it does sound great though), this is how ASR helps me greatly in buying gear!!

Focus SE

Hi

It wasn't meant to be a criticism** and I'm sorry if it came over that way. You don't have to justify your purchase to me or to anyone else.

**it was intended to make you feel good about your lucky purchase opportunity.

Peace :)
Absolutely not, no criticism taken at all. I truly understand and relate to the sentiment and wish for you one day to be able to have in your home what you desire. Your comment hit me hard because that was how I felt my whole life until now. My comment was meant solely for camaraderie of two people that love and seek hi levels of sound. Your intent was exactly received as intended. My sincere wish is for you, like me, to one day to be fortunate enough to be able to get there as well. There is something about the way I write that does not translate absent of vocal inflections that too often leave readers with the wrong impression. That’s on me not you!! I don’t write or say anything I truly don’t mean. And when I said I appreciated all you have contributed, it’s true and from the heart. You seem like a person I could sit and listen with all day and that’s the only real benefit of this sickness we have. It’s expensive and we should at least get some benefit.
Cheers to you!!!!!!

Last edited:

Focus SE

I just saw this thread. I think I can be classified as romantic.

Because to me, at the end of the day, I must be able to enjoy listening to the music I am playing. It's the experience I am after.
“I see it as if the sound is not good to me, it's because of my personal taste and what I like/dislike rather than equipment “

I agree with both of your points here. I enjoy being on the outside of the equipment enjoying what it does. It’s nice when the people that love the inside of the equipment as well, share that knowledge. It really benefits those of us on the outside.
On your second point I will say that for me personally until I heard sound from a system that changed my perspective forever, I had no idea how good something could be and disappointed how poorly produced some of the things I’ve always loved really are. I am now listening to things I’ve never dreamed I would appreciate and enjoy.
Being lumped into a box with preconceived ideas of what type of audiophile we are doesn’t change the appreciation for good sound pleasing to our tastes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom