• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A nice Dac/Amp suggestion

Nas4

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new in all audiophile stuff but not long ago I purchased Fiio A3 amp to connect to my laptop, it's nice but I just need something more. I really want to have a nice DAC/Amp that will improve my onboard audio (Realtek lol) and to be able to listen high fidelity music through streaming services and my own collection. I got hooked on Sound blasterx G6 for a while but after reading here and there I finally gave up on external cards. Then I found this forum and read a few measurements and discussions and have decided to get a nice DAC/Amp. I have some in mind but I would appreciate your honest opinion or suggestion.
Here's what I want (or similar):
1. Fiio Q3 ( I like the portability and the bass switch)
2. xDuoo XD-05 Basic/Plus
3. Ifi ZenDac/ HipDac
Or something easily transportable (not as small as a dongle) cause i tend to travel a lot. Also, around 200$, not too expensive. Please give an opinion

Roland68

Major Contributor
For me personally, the Topping NX4 DSD is the best device under $ 200.
Long running time, high output power, good features, very good sound, small design, bass and gain switch on the top.

The Ifi ZenDac has no battery.

OP
N

Nas4

Thanks for your kind suggestion! I will consider it but how it's compared to xDuoo XD-05

Roland68

Major Contributor
Both my Xduoo XD05 and my plus had a clear channel imbalance in the first third of the volume range. But that varies with this model, maybe I was just unlucky. In addition, there was the high weight and size (2.5 x volume of the NX4).
In terms of sound, I found the NX4 by no means worse than the Xduoo XD05 plus, the FIIO Q3 and Q1 MKII, on the other hand, didn't stand a chance in my opinion.

OP
N

Nas4

I have found reviews on both XD05 and NX4 they sound really promising in terms of sound and build in quality. I know XD05 plus is a bit more expensive but maybe worth a try. Thank you very much I will definitely consider them both. Also, another thing I'm considering a nice closed back headphones and I'm torn between the Sennheiser HD569 and Audio Technica ATH M50X (primary between these two brands)

OP
N

Nas4

Yeah but that's a little too expensive ☺️ I am currently looking for something around $200...I might end up with Nx4 DSD

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
PCM5102? Well, that's very low budget.
Is the battery life enough for you? ;)

OP
N

Nas4

Well I guess it makes sense ☺️ because of the significantly lower price, so I don't want to add the new fiio k3 cause I think uses the same dac
PCM5102? Well, that's very low budget.
Is the battery life enough for you? ;)
I don't know about the battery life but it's a new update so I decided to ask

Roland68

Major Contributor
Sorry, I was just kidding.
The device has no battery and is not intended for use on the go. The "portable" only refers to the fact that you can easily take the device with you due to its size.
I personally see the "New K3" above the FiiO E10K TC, but it has even less power. The K5Pro might be the better choice.

If you are looking for a desktop solution now, I would look for a DAC like the topping E30 or D10 / D10s and maybe operate it with the A3 first. With the topping L30 or the Sabaj A10h you would have an excellent combination.

OP
N

Nas4

Thank you so much for your help, but I'll settle with portable for now as I tend to travel (my job is demanding it lol) So I'm sticking with your first suggestion the nx4. I guess it's all around better than the rest in it's price range. But definitely will consider these options if I decide to get a desktop amp/DAC. Appreciate your help and quick reply, good day to you

Top Bottom