• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new trend on amplifier performance

Heulpic

Found from What Hi-Fi post (very funny). Of course the ''do not scrimp on cables'' is also there...
1663859297505.png

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Found from What Hi-Fi post (very funny)
View attachment 232541
This last bit about giving them some space is mostly true. Though some amps barely even get warm. I think they are using “any old” in a conversational way but it sure is confusing at first glance. The rest is hysterical but pretty much what I expect from them. Just utter garbage.

sngreen

There is some truth to it, although I never experimented with it. Except the speakers and the turntables, of course.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're right about not scrimping on cables. I used the finest 10AWG zipcord for my woofers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what physical principes explain a more forward sound with a glass surface?
The reflection leads to electronic introspection. Soon, you have an aggressive, insecure amp.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottomline; does all this, have some impact on the sound? My guess (at only 99.999% sure) is no.
Well...you do need a cable. I've proved that to my satisfaction.

sngreen

Surface under speakers, turntables and to some degree CD players - maybe - does have an effect on how the equipment sounds. That is what the spikes are for. For amplifiers it is mostly about the temperature (warm amplifier will sound better than the colde one). Wooden box on the amplifier will keep it warmer than the metal case, it's a known fact. Does it matter what it stands on, I have no idea.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Surface under speakers, turntables and to some degree CD players - maybe - does have an effect on how the equipment sounds. That is what the spikes are for. For amplifiers it is mostly about the temperature (warm amplifier will sound better than the colde one). Wooden box on the amplifier will keep it warmer than the metal case, it's a known fact. Does it matter what it stands on, I have no idea.
Spikes are no good, it's another of those useless inventions of the industry.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The question is, what kind of glass? Silica? Soda lime silicate? Boron? Chalcogenide? Float glass? Obsidian? They all will have different sound signatures, and What Hi-Fi should be ashamed of not telling this to audiophiles and publishing this highly incomplete article.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Clearly, the sound will be more transparent and reflective of Artists vision. ;)

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom