• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new trend on amplifier performance

JSmith

Master Contributor
everyone knows equipment on a glass shelf makes the sound more clear
I find it more edgy, sharp and hard sounding. Maybe even sandy in some strange way... like something in the sound has potential to break and shatter, but doesn't. Oddly the glass shelf seems to have more of a bright sound during the day and a slightly darker sound at night. I might try a crystal one... :facepalm:

JSmith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spikes are no good, it's another of those useless inventions of the industry.
The advent of spikes with built-in vibration absorbers amuses me.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You just have to love how people tend anthropomorphize materials in this way :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now it's all starting to make sense. I always wondered why McIntosh used glass front panels? It was to project the sound forward. Then, coupled to those oiled walnut (or were they mahogany?) Panloc cabinets--making the sound more rounded and balanced.

And I always thought Frank and Gordon weren't in to this sort stuff. How wrong I was.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Surface under speakers, turntables and to some degree CD players - maybe - does have an effect on how the equipment sounds. That is what the spikes are for. For amplifiers it is mostly about the temperature (warm amplifier will sound better than the colde one). Wooden box on the amplifier will keep it warmer than the metal case, it's a known fact. Does it matter what it stands on, I have no idea.
If you mount the amp vertically everyone knows all the bass runs out the faceplate with nothing to keep it inside.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is, what kind of glass? Silica? Soda lime silicate? Boron? Chalcogenide? Float glass? Obsidian? They all will have different sound signatures, and What Hi-Fi should be ashamed of not telling this to audiophiles and publishing this highly incomplete article.
I needs to be multi-layered to correct for chromatic aberration.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, the sound will be more transparent and reflective of Artists vision. ;)
It can only reflect an artist's vision if the glass is mirrored. Come on, I thought everyone knew this kind of stuff about hifi. What HiFi you ask? Exactly.

DonR

Major Contributor
Some of the world's most sensitive metrology instrumentation comes in metal boxes with plastic feet and sit on particle board shelving all their useful life but ... yeah your ears are golden and microphonics are smearing your detail. :facepalm:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i wonder what the sound is like if you got a set of vestal virgins (I really dont know what this is) to rest your equipment on their arms?

it would have to be topping smsl high rack width 1 rack unit high and obviously not a McIntosh MA7200 etc.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i wonder what the sound is like if you got a set of vestal virgins (I really dont know what this is) to rest your equipment on their arms?

it would have to be topping smsl high rack width 1 rack unit high and obviously not a McIntosh MA7200 etc.
They aren't virgins at all. The gods have been cheated again.

OP
H

Heulpic

I think I saw somewhere that Nordost is planning to develop an amplifier base from a machined 500kg pure @ 99.999% silver block. Grain orientation treatment in a special atmosphere controlled furnace and then cryogenized. MSRP to be confirmed. Looking forward to it

Last edited:

Freeway

For amplifiers it is mostly about the temperature (warm amplifier will sound better than the colde one). Wooden box on the amplifier will keep it warmer than the metal case, it's a known fact. Does it matter what it stands on, I have no idea.

My dual mono ICEpower modules both disagree.

DonR

Major Contributor
For amplifiers it is mostly about the temperature (warm amplifier will sound better than the colde one). Wooden box on the amplifier will keep it warmer than the metal case, it's a known fact. Does it matter what it stands on, I have no idea.
Only if the design dictates that optimal operation is in a particular temperature range. Heat kills electronics so there can always be too much of a good thing as well.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you mount the amp vertically everyone knows all the bass runs out the faceplate with nothing to keep it inside.
I might have mentioned this before: in my audio cowboy days I happened to be at my dealer when some new gear arrived. We were checking out the new Counterpoint tube preamp, from California. Counterpoint was a visual knockoff of the then famous Mark Levinson preamp--1 U rackmount form factor, which required tube sockets to be mounted horizontally, sideways as it were.

Anyhow, one of the cognoscenti thought he heard a little 'smearing' of the sonic image, when compared with a Conrad Johnson tube preamp (which had it's tubes mounted more traditionally, in an upright manner). His explanation was that the filaments in the tubes were not meant to be heated in a horizontal manner, and that this adverse mounting caused the electrons to 'bend or flow downward', and thus could have been responsible for the slight 'veiling' he (and then we all) subsequently heard.

Of course back then we were all audiofools. So I guess it made sense in a nonsensical way.

sngreen

Darko will not allow links from ASR......

403​

Forbidden​

Access to this resource on the server is denied!
Just an image, but he said it number of times in his reviews;

Snipaste_2022-09-23_20-54-43.jpg

sngreen

Only if the design dictates that optimal operation is in a particular temperature range. Heat kills electronics so there can always be too much of a good thing as well.
Switching it off and on kills it too.

Top Bottom