• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new expense threshold for pre-amp/amp stack

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At least a total cost that I do not recall having seen.

C H Precision, presented in the latest TAS, utilizing separate pre-amp/ power supply modules and a pair of mono-block amps has a total price of;

$340,000.00. (Three hundred forty thousand Dollars)*

The usual lack of measurements, along with the potpourri of adjectives from the reviewers professional lexicon extolling the virtues is presented.

I rarely complain about the cost of our product (cables excepted), and this is more of an observation than a true complaint. The maker has long presented products that are measured to be excellent and priced quite high. I truly envy those fortunate people with means to afford such products; that said, I would someday like to experience a stereo system comprised of such stratospherically valued equipment.

I am trying to think of speakers that would be appropriate for this electronics. I invite the hive mind to herein suggest some transducers… likely Wilson will come to mind. Please list your choices!

*Nice little condo, anyone?:)

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At least a total cost that I do not recall having seen.

C H Precision, presented in the latest TAS, utilizing separate pre-amp/ power supply modules and a pair of mono-block amps has a total price of;

$340,000.00. (Three hundred forty thousand Dollars)*

The usual lack of measurements, along with the potpourri of adjectives from the reviewers professional lexicon extolling the virtues is presented.

I rarely complain about the cost of our product (cables excepted), and this is more of an observation than a true complaint. The maker has long presented products that are measured to be excellent and priced quite high. I truly envy those fortunate people with means to afford such products; that said, I would someday like to experience a stereo system comprised of such stratospherically valued equipment.

I am trying to think of speakers that would be appropriate for this electronics. I invite the hive mind to herein suggest some transducers… likely Wilson will come to mind. Please list your choices!

*Nice little condo, anyone?:)
Since there are no responses, I ran a search for expensive speakers. Some I never even heard of, others are self-powered, but what the Heck:

Indeed, Wilson is listed… not nearly the most expensive. WOW!!

Forget the condominium… go for a McMansion!

bkatbamna

Out of all of those, only the small stand mount speaker will go up in value over time.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A manufacturer could charge millions for something like a preamp but that wouldn't change the fact that once things like noise, distortion, frequency response and all the other usual suspects are essentially perfected at a small fraction of the price, throwing money at the problem won't matter except for probably more elaborate casework and/or overbuilt electronics where the added expense is wasted in a home environment.

Electronics isn't like something like a car where extra money can buy better performance (at diminishing returns). In reality, a basic preamp can be as simple as an 8 pin opamp.

SharpEars

Since there are no responses, I ran a search for expensive speakers. Some I never even heard of, others are self-powered, but what the Heck:

Based on the manual for their pre-amp
L10 pre-amp product link: https://www.ch-precision.com/product/l10-dual-monaural-twin-chassis-line-preamplifier/#
Link to the PDF manual for the product: https://www.ch-precision.com/download/l10-user-manual/?wpdmdl=6453&refresh=624afe6aaadb41649081962

Balanced outputs 2x XLR connectors per board
Single-ended outputs 1x RCA connector per board, 1x BNC connector per board
Output and I/V stages 0% global feedback (100% local), or 100% global feedback
(0% local)
Maximum output level +29dBu (16Vrms) balanced
+23dBu (8Vrms) single-ended
Volume control range -100dBu to +18dBu in 0.5dB steps
Frequency response (-3dB point) DC-1MHz
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR, unweighted) 141dB, unity gain and at maximum input level
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N) <0.0008%, 1kHz, unity gain
Output noise -112dBu (1.8μVrms) balanced, -115dBu (1.3μVrms) single-ended

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR, unweighted) 141dB, unity gain and at maximum input level
That seems reasonable. Maximum input level is +26dBu so that puts the noise at -115dBu. And that's at unity gain (=no actual gain or the same gain as a direct-wire connection with no active electronics).

And then I wonder if they actually sell one of these things, or maybe they only sell one.

SharpEars

That seems reasonable. Maximum input level is +26dBu so that puts the noise at -115dBu. And that's at unity gain (=no actual gain or the same gain as a direct-wire connection with no active electronics).

And then I wonder if they actually sell one of these things, or maybe they only sell one.

You're not suggesting that they "wire bypassed" all (active) circuitry to do their "best" measurements at unity gain, are you?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Those CAT MBX speakers look like giant dumbbells. Wonder who their target market is...:rolleyes:

And if you look at a side view of a Wilson Chronosonic in just the right way, doesn't it seem like Dave Wilson is extending his middle finger to us all from the Great Beyond? :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom