• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new Dac to improve sound quality from Khadas Tone Board 1

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's this have to do with your opinion about what I mentioned in this thread ?

Are you an electronics designer ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did you hear the noises in Hush and Arpo tracks?

don't have those numbers. Currently enjoying a live Marshall Tucker band album. It's a live album so can expect all kinds of weird things but don't listen for it. Just the music/performance.

Are you an (experienced/practicing) audio electronics designer ?

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
don't have those numbers. Currently enjoying a live Marshall Tucker band album.

You do not have or do not want to listen better to?

Hush in on YT, you should notice there at least the first plop.

Arpo is on Bancamp, you shall hear the noise listen there, to the audio: https://callsuper.bandcamp.com/album/arpo

If you notice none, you won't probably notice any differences between DACs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If you notice none, you won't probably notice any differences between DACs.

If it is in the file and audible then why would some DACs reproduce it and others not or not audibly so.
Some small excerpts of the files posted here (in a ZIP) could go a long way.
Then at least we are talking about the same files.

b4nt

He answered that in #143- and of course, the answer was also evident through the "discussion."

That is a project I'm working on. I'm modding a valve kit, to downgrade my audio :)
20210701_142731.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That explains why you would believe swapping op-amps would change the sound signature. :)

b4nt

That explains why you would believe swapping op-amps would change the sound signature. :)

The base valve kit being a bad 6dB "buffer". Modding it for no gain, pentode follower, for fun and to listen to.

If it is in the file and audible then why would some DACs reproduce it and others not....

I'm just checking your speakers or headsets. Noises on YT and BC are shorter/weaker (due to compression), but shall be audible there.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The base valve kit being a bad 6dB "buffer". Modding it for no gain, pentode follower, for fun and to listen to.

That will drastically improve technical perfomance. Can understand the fun part but when done correctly it will add no 'tube sound'
Very little wrong with my headsets nor speakers. It's my hearing one should be worried about.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
that' s the opposite of what DACs try to achieve.
Incorrectly biased circuits add things that aren't supposed to be there.

Do post FFT and FR.

b4nt

The D50s signals are almost or are perfect. The basic 6dB valve "buffer" would add a lot of distortion. Pentode would be transparent, so I'll incorrecly bias it for some minimal effects... and for fun.

b4nt

The linked YT video: I can' t hear nor see anything ' unexpected' at 0:47

Just checked, the same audible plop in track is on Youtube, I beleive it is here, and not that much altered by compression:

YoutubeTheMarias.PNG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
a 90ms 'tick' that is not clipping followed by 'severely limitered' music.
It could have come from anything.

I made 2 excerpts one with and one without the offending 'plop'.
I know its really easy to tell them apart analyzing it or looking at file sizes. Just listen to both excerpts and see which one has the offensive plop.

Attachments

• samples A-B.zip
    317.3 KB · Views: 82

b4nt

I listened before editing. Both your A and B sample sound still similar. Seems to be a larger event in that area.

From your A, I made this C, silencing more but still approximatively.... The event is in there.

Attachments

• samples A-C.PNG
    samples A-C.PNG
    97.5 KB · Views: 70
  • sample C.zip
    87 KB · Views: 76

b4nt

In sample A, you may loop, from 1.90 to 2.10. But looping so is not identical than listening to that track.

b4nt

I had now doubts as you hear nothing there. Changed, from Topping and loudspeakers for headset and standard PC sound card, audio jack ouptut.

Then tested on a different PC where the pops are also present. That noises are in the track.

By the way, I listened further, with the headset. Same sort of pop or crack at approx second 56. Edit... Plus something later after 2:00

I'll keep my hardware and forget that track :)

Attachments

• Second56.PNG
    Second56.PNG
    61.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Later.png
    Later.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

b4nt

a 90ms 'tick' that is not clipping followed by 'severely limitered' music.
It could have come from anything.

I made 2 excerpts one with and one without the offending 'plop'.

I appreciate what you did, but yes, both where still poping. And you are right,where I was seeing an "offending" 10ms shape, its a more spread event, over some 90ms, and maybe more.

I've no experience in signals readings, neither with filtering. I did many attemps using Audacity EQ function and ended with a different sound.

I tested now those files on basic laptop speakers. There, I get no pop what ever file I use.

Attachments

• D.zip
    188.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Top Bottom