• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A mini challenge to the forumers here...

birdog1960

trusted stereo store. record shop conversations. Magazines. Conversations at parties . A bit before my time but I bet it was the same. My cousin got me into it playing a nice set up he bought in a Marine base px. Don't remember what it was but I thought it sounded amazing.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning

syn08

Do take note that vast majority of the things we have today don't exist back then. No internet, no Google, no mobile phones, no digital cameras, no printers. Computers are the size of classrooms and out of reach to many. Most testing/measuring equipment we have today is not available to the general public and extremely expensive.

No idea but, side note, looking to the today's kids, I wonder on how the hell was I raised, without remaining a troglodyte in my cave.

BTW, I still miss the pen on paper analog design process. At least you could be sure designers understood what they were doing, rather than manipulating abstract entities and relying on computers to generate something that hopefully works as intended.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I still miss the pen on paper analog design process.

You do?

vintage-photos-life-before-autocad-17-5bd1745a21a95__700.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, I still miss the pen on paper analog design process.
I completed all projects during my college Technical Drafting study in black ink using calibrated pens instead of a pencil as all the other students did. I received a bonus percentage for using ink on my overall yearly marks. That sounds all fine and dandy but using ink to draft plans for stuff is a pain in the butt even if it looks stupendous and is really easy to read the lines and text. Old school drafting is very relaxing, can be a labor of love but it's really tedious using ink!
csm_2073490_Productpicture_6fa1b35518.jpeg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was first getting started in the hobby in the late 1970s, I don't recall whether I had any idea that I might care to meet up with like-minded individuals, much less express my impressions of what I heard. That started to change as I got exposed to high-end audio, where the guys selling it likely learned much of their terminology from sources like Stereophile.

MAB

Major Contributor
I prefer fully synthesized designs, full PDK, fully verified prior to tape-in. With all test content validated. It prevents lots of crawling around, and in fact allows you to make things work as intended the first time. Which prevents more crawling around.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Knock yourself out. There's several lifetimes worth of reading.

Start with Audio : https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Audio-Magazine.htm
Yup -- and also hobbyist magazines like Radio Electronics (and a host of others) -- many of which are also available at WRH.

We had books back in the 'sixties, too. They were carefully copied by scribes onto sheets of parchment in those days, of course, but fragments do survive.
;)

Here's one of the examples of series of tech books that may be found at WRH, too. :)

https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/Bookshelf_Sams.htm

Top Bottom