• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A millennial's rant on classical music

Daverz

Major Contributor
Talking about classical crossover works, a successful example from a few years ago was Ravi Shankar's very entertaining Symphony

51W53%2Bau4yL.jpg

Zog

Fluffy, have you spent time with Youtube videos of classical live performances? They have pretty much opened my eyes. It is so easy to compare performances of same pieces and find out which is your personal favourite.
That performance of Der Leiermann is just out of this world. For those who do not know it is the last song in a Song Cycle called Winter Journey by Franz Schubert and are semi autobiographical. It is a perfect denouement. The comments on YouTube are also worth a look.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That performance of Der Leiermann is just out of this world. For those who do not know it is the last song in a Song Cycle called Winter Journey by Franz Schubert and are semi autobiographical. It is a perfect denouement. The comments on YouTube are also worth a look.
One of my all time favourite pieces from one of my all time favourite composers beautifully performed. Wow.
Schubert is one of the greatest tune smiths ever.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I suppose OP doesn’t like broadway either? I feel bad for him...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
So do you claim to like everything?
That's the rub. I like to think that everything gets, or can get, a "fair hearing" from these quarters. But there are built-in biases. Don't think I'll ever get into "metal", though there's plenty of hard, hot and heavy sounds on heavy rotation, like Xenakis' "Bohor", cited previously. Got introduced to "Ratchet" music recently, can see the attraction but don't expect to be going back for awhile. Mozart's an interesting case, sometimes it sounds cosmic, sometimes like bubblegum. Because I'm a simple and stupid musician, I'm drawn to music I can play. Likin' Country more and more these days.

Daverz

Major Contributor
That's the rub. I like to think that everything gets, or can get, a "fair hearing" from these quarters. But there are built-in biases. Don't think I'll ever get into "metal", though there's plenty of hard, hot and heavy sounds on heavy rotation, like Xenakis' "Bohor", cited previously. Got introduced to "Ratchet" music recently, can see the attraction but don't expect to be going back for awhile. Mozart's an interesting case, sometimes it sounds cosmic, sometimes like bubblegum. Because I'm a simple and stupid musician, I'm drawn to music I can play. Likin' Country more and more these days.

It's true that everything Mozart ever wrote, regardless of quality, has been dug up and recorded. This has done his reputation no favors.

Guermantes

Bebop, as digested by a classical musician

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So do you claim to like everything?

Well... no - I abhor rap and find atonal material (John Cage) difficult to approach. In certain altered states of consciousness I do appreciate Cage.

Zog

In certain altered states of consciousness I do appreciate Cage.
You can upgrade your music by taking some of that medicine from Scotland. That in turn reminds me of the woman who asked if there was some potion or some elixir that could make her more beautiful. She was solemnly and truthfully assured that such elixir did exist. The only condition was that this medicine (Scotch) had to be consumed not by her but by the viewer.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to remind, The OP title says - A millenial's post. That means Fluffy was born in this millenium, so max 19 years old!
I was wondering how long this thread would take to require the following cartoon.
millennials.png

P.S. This generation naming thing seems to be much more of an American obsession than a global thing, I'm not sure the rest of the world gets it, even though we all seem to have started using it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Bebop, as digested by a classical musician
I got attracted to Be-Bop after becoming something of a classical music snob, back in the mid-1970's. Charlie Parker's level of virtuosity floored me, so I spent a few years tracking down everything the man recorded. Appears the dude had some ups and downs. I suppose that's true of most musicians. But no question that this is an example of music-making of the highest order, at least as regards "Hitting the marks, reading the lines and getting paid", with the possible exception of that "Getting paid" part:

Top Bottom