• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A "meatier"/richer/fuller Sundara sound?

burma

New to the headphone scene, I settled on the HiFiMAN Sundara headphones after trying Sennheiser 660S, 800S, and Aeon 2. This is what was available at my local dealer without having to buy and return and pay return fees, etc. I found both Sennheisers to be lacking in the bass department and not as versatile as the Sundara for various music that I listen to - from heavy metal to classical, even if better in some other areas (soundstage on 800 and midrange on 660s). The Aeon 2's were closed back, and wasn't a huge fan. Also the Sundara for me are the most comfortable to wear, I can wear them for hours. To each his own I suppose.

Anyway, I really like them, as they do work with all sorts of music, but ideally I want something that is less harsh and fuller or meatier sounding. On rock music, metal they sound especially thin and harsh.

So I'm basically looking for a meatier/richer/fuller version of the Sundara. Any recommendations? Arya? Ananda?

BTW, they are driven by the Topping A90/D90 combo.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
New to the headphone scene, I settled on the HiFiMAN Sundara headphones after trying Sennheiser 660S, 800S, and Aeon 2. This is what was available at my local dealer without having to buy and return and pay return fees, etc. I found both Sennheisers to be lacking in the bass department and not as versatile as the Sundara for various music that I listen to - from heavy metal to classical, even if better in some other areas (soundstage on 800 and midrange on 660s). The Aeon 2's were closed back, and wasn't a huge fan. Also the Sundara for me are the most comfortable to wear, I can wear them for hours. To each his own I suppose.

Anyway, I really like them, as they do work with all sorts of music, but ideally I want something that is less harsh and fuller or meatier sounding. On rock music, metal they sound especially thin and harsh.

So I'm basically looking for a meatier/richer/fuller version of the Sundara. Any recommendations? Arya? Ananda?

Have you experimented with eq?

Rusty Shackleford

By “fuller” do you just mean more bass? Or do you find the Sundara to have unpleasant highs?

What‘s your budget?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why not directly go the Audeze route if meaty, warm, rich sound is your preference. From what I know hifiman don't make such headphones.

IF what you meant was that sundara was a bit harsh in some places (4khz 8khz). That you just simply want a better headphone, then Ananda is great(don't get the arya).

OP
B

burma

By “fuller” do you just mean more bass? Or do you find the Sundara to have unpleasant highs?

What‘s your budget?

I find them to sound a bit harsh in the highs, yes, unpleasant. But also a bit thin on stuff like hard rock, electric guitar music, etc.

OP
B

burma

Why not directly go the Audeze route if meaty, warm, rich sound is your preference. From what I know hifiman don't make such headphones.

IF what you meant was that sundara was a bit harsh in some places (4khz 8khz). That you just simply want a better headphone, then Ananda is great(don't get the arya).

Could be that as I said above. I have nowhere to audition the Audeze. They also seem (on spec at least) to be quite heavy, so not sure how comfortable they are. I can wear the Sundara all day. I did think about the Ananda, not sure the comfort with the huge sides. Problem is it's hard to try anywhere.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Could be that as I said above. I have nowhere to audition the Audeze. They also seem (on spec at least) to be quite heavy, so not sure how comfortable they are. I can wear the Sundara all day. I did think about the Ananda, not sure the comfort with the huge sides. Problem is it's hard to try anywhere.
I can only tell you my experience with Ananda is wonderful. When the issue is not being able trying out, there isn't much to say, is it?

Rusty Shackleford

I find them to sound a bit harsh in the highs, yes, unpleasant. But also a bit thin on stuff like hard rock, electric guitar music, etc.

The Audeze LCD2 Classic should be on your “to hear” list. Definitely a warm-tilted tonality. However, you also may just dislike the planar treble sound, in which case you may not like the LCD2, either. In terms of warm dynamics, check out the ZMF Atticus. Lots of slam, handcrafted, great warranty and customer service.

Top Bottom