• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Love Letter to the HD800

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why the HD800’s brew works so well for me. It just does.
Perceived tonality of headphones can be quite different from person to person due to different partially bypassed HRTFs. :)

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perceived tonality of headphones can be quite different from person to person due to different partially bypassed HRTFs. :)

And ears.

That must be the case. I have HD800 for six years. The bass is fine for me and so is the treble. I've tried a bit of treble EQ - increasing it! - but get a touch of sibilance as a result. May be it's my ears - I can't hear above 10kHz and I'm down from 6kHz and upwards - or my amp. I don't care. I love them!

(Perhaps the HD800 was designed by and for old farts and that's why they suit me!)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I expect taste (preference) to be a larger part than HRTF whether or not folks like the sound of headphones.

The difference in bass level between K501 lovers and basshead cans cannot possibly be explained by HRTF.

Last edited:

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And ears.

That must be the case. I have HD800 for six years. The bass is fine for me and so is the treble. I've tried a bit of treble EQ - increasing it! - but get a touch of sibilance as a result. May be it's my ears - I can't hear above 10kHz and I'm down from 6kHz and upwards - or my amp. I don't care. I love them!

(Perhaps the HD800 was designed by and for old farts and that's why they suit me!)
I can hear up to about 17khz, and for me the HD800 are treble-torture. I would tend to agree with your assessment.

Top Bottom