• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A long time without a studio

Urbanc

It's been 20 years since I had my mini home studio setup, and I'm wanting to start up again.
I gifted everything I had, but retained my NS-10's, but they're pretty dated these day, so I'm asking for recommendations for a pair of monitors around the £500 region.
I know this isn't a great deal towards something special, but that's that!
There is a pair of Focal Alpha Twin Evo Studio Monitors up for grabs, but I would have to stretch to £600. They're apparently 6 months old, lightly used etc etc.
Thoughts on these or a better option please
My room size is 14 x 12"

OP
U

Urbanc

Thanks. In fairness, I'm completely lost in all the offerings these days. Should I consider 2nd hand? I'm sure there's always a risk on how well they've been treated.

807Recordings

JBL 305 and sub I think will come under your budget. Google around your area.
In terms of accuracy and as someone who is a producer in Electronic music I can say they hit well above their price suggests.

OP
U

Urbanc

JBL 305 and sub I think will come under your budget. Google around your area.
In terms of accuracy and as someone who is a producer in Electronic music I can say they hit well above their price suggests.
I'll take a look at what's on offer, cheers!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. I'd suggest the JBL LSR308, and you likely won't need a sub though one could be added. Depending upon where you live it should fit inside your budget. I've had the LSR308 and 305. Both are outlandishly good for the price, but the 308 is better.

Now I haven't heard that particular Focal, they usually are good. It might be a better deal, and I doubt it would be a bad choice.

auricom

Kali IN-8 V2 (2nd wave) also almost fits your budget and is well respected 3-way speaker. That or Focal Twin might not need a sub, and are of course much better than those JBL’s and you can add a sub later if you want (but it will cost more then).

OP
U

Urbanc

Welcome to ASR. I'd suggest the JBL LSR308, and you likely won't need a sub though one could be added. Depending upon where you live it should fit inside your budget. I've had the LSR308 and 305. Both are outlandishly good for the price, but the 308 is better.

Now I haven't heard that particular Focal, they usually are good. It might be a better deal, and I doubt it would be a bad choice.
Thanks for the welcome! I've got some journey ahead, getting back into the swing and the myriad of current products. My overall budget is circa £1500 for my setup, so I think I will create a new post asking folks what they would splash that measly cash on :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kali IN-8 V2 (2nd wave) also almost fits your budget and is well respected 3-way speaker. That or Focal Twin might not need a sub, and are of course much better than those JBL’s and you can add a sub later if you want (but it will cost more then).
Are you sure they are much better than the JBLs?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The NS10 got resurrection sort of with Avantone CLA-10 and CLA-10A (active). They didn't made them actually like NS10M's and are even brighter. Active variant actually got close. Telling you as you obviously liked them. On the other hand that also means all parts are available for restoration of old ones.
Today there are far better "monitors" regarding actual measurements and certainly better for home use. NS10 is still a useful tool for people who learned to work with them that will fit into any environment (closed enclosure compression driver's), real 8 Ohm's...
Take a look at Genelec 8030C that cost a peace you ware willing to spend on a pair but as they are active you just might find enough money in your overall budget for them, best regards.

Reactions: MAB
OP
U

Urbanc

The NS10 got resurrection sort of with Avantone CLA-10 and CLA-10A (active). They didn't made them actually like NS10M's and are even brighter. Active variant actually got close. Telling you as you obviously liked them. On the other hand that also means all parts are available for restoration of old ones.
Today there are far better "monitors" regarding actual measurements and certainly better for home use. NS10 is still a useful tool for people who learned to work with them that will fit into any environment (closed enclosure compression driver's), real 8 Ohm's...
Take a look at Genelec 8030C that cost a peace you ware willing to spend on a pair but as they are active you just might find enough money in your overall budget for them, best regards.
Thanks for that. I've just come across a pair of Neumann KH120A's which I might get for £750-£800. Clearly pushing the budget boat out, but I'm reading that these are well worth considering.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Urbanc use rewiev index to search from what's mesured hire and preference score as a key that's how I get to suggest Genelec 8030C and happy hunting.

OP
U

Urbanc

@Urbanc use rewiev index to search from what's mesured hire and preference score as a key that's how I get to suggest Genelec 8030C and happy hunting.
I hear you. They're not coming in cheap over here in he UK. Come to think of it, nothing comes in cheap here anymore!
Funny how the "want" can rule the "budget". The Genelec 8030C looks brill, and yes, I want! Budget...?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't have a recommendation.

The NS10s (and Auratones) became famous for sounding like an "average" home system. They weren't used as the main monitors in major studios.

I've been a JBL fan since the old days. I haven't heard the LSR308 but it has a good reputation or there are several other monitors with 8-inch woofers in the same price range.

Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than 8-inches without a subwoofer and it you want realistic bass from a bass guitar or bass drum you'll still need a sub (or bigger woofers).

807Recordings

I am curious how much better the 308 would be but when I tried them here with out the sub in my small studio (treated) the size was just a touch too big. I am with in 1 meter of the speakers. Currently I also have in my home theatre/living area the JBL SVA 2100 plus the 580s all around for surrounds and center channels. Although the huge SVA 2100s play louder there is no comparison in over all accuracy from the 305p with their sub. I mean at the price everything I tried didn't come close.
There is some limitations though on the 305's which is why in the future I will likely move on to something else. But we are talking a huge price difference in the 10X range.

Yes I tried, owned everything from B&W 800s, Wilson, etc all in treated rooms and can honestly say they are a well engineered product.
Negatives:
-If close the hiss can be noticeable in a near silent room,
-Does compress at louder volumes (305) and can make decisions on using compression less transparent
-with out the sub the 305 sounds too lean and really lacks bass

If/when I upgrade I have already narrowed it down to the Genelec One Series or Neumann 310s but that is 500-600 euros vs 6000-8000 Euros difference. ;-)

OP
U

Urbanc

Thanks for all you input, but in the end, I've just acquired a pair of new Neumann KH120A's for £750. Crazy ebay win at that price, being the only bidder.
£250 over my budget, but I think in the long term, with an additional sub, it will be worth while.

Top Bottom