• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, except in a desktop setup, or even a bedroom setup, where you might not be able to position the towers well for the listener.

And I haven't seen a good tower setup in a kitchen yet :D
Yes I forgot to mention that for completeness (my pros/cons was assuming the user wants to use stands for ideal performance). Another thing I forgot to mention is that even when assuming stands will be used with bookshelf speakers, if you’re willing to compromise stand aesthetics you can get height-adjustable stands and likely achieve a more optimal tweeter height matching the listening position.

Actually my desktop setups are examples of where bookshelf style speakers (Genelec monitors) really shine in ways towers cannot: sitting on the desk directly, since the room my home office is currently laid out such that my stands wouldn’t fit very naturally. In fact right now my K&M stands are stored/unused due to this. But the Genelecs work really great sitting on a desk, especially since their calibration EQ software can help mitigate the issues from desktop reflection almost completely.

However most bookshelf speakers weren’t really designed to sit on a desk, and don’t sound as good in this situation as e.g. studio monitors designed for this (and I don’t know how many people know how essential EQ is, including a bit above the bass frequencies, when Issues like desk reflections are involved. — whereas Genelec’s software does a good job EQing up to ~300hz automatically).

izeek

That's what I read when researching stands: one of the main arguments to NOT put bookshelf speakers on-/into a bookshelf or on a table was that there may be detrimental reflections from the surface they are being placed on. So I reckon that would be true for stands with too large a surface as well.

Whether to couple or decouple from the ground, shouldn't a well designed speaker cabinet not vibrate much in the first place? Seems kinda moot to me. I prefer flat feet, because under my rug I have parquet floor I prefer not to damage with metal spikes. Not an expert though. I just bought 49€ Thomann Stands, not the most sophisticated solution but it works well and is sturdy enough for my home (no kids or pets, just me as a klutz roaming around :D )
I have carpet as well.
Might I suggest a hardwood board the size of the speaker footprint(maybe slightly wider for the stands for ) to start. Then experiment with spikes, feet, and/or antivibration pads.
I found very good sound quality aspects for such. Tighter, more definitive mids and bass. Took out any booming. Was way worth my time.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Booming (room modes) are taken care of with Dirac live. :D
I don't believe that there is any notable transmission of energy from my speaker stands to the ground.

Teeter

I bought a 2 X 4 X 8 Feet. Cut to the heights for my front L/R bookshelf speakers. Paint with glossy color paint of your choice. Then made the bases 18" X 18" X 1/2" and the tops, 10" X 10" X 1/2" Then screwed the tops and bases to the 2 X 4's. Wa La, 2 speaker stands. They are resting on carpeting. I had thought about PVC tubing and make in a rectangular box shape, and spray paint. Then screw down wood top and bases.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

jonfitch

I recommend expensive speaker stands. Heavier the better.

Here's what I use - they weigh 100kg each. I wish they weighed more, I'm sure it'd improve the sound quality... ;)

mKzt642.jpg

I can't believe KEF discontinued the rosewood finish :(

What were they thinking.

leonroy

Forum Donor
I can't believe KEF discontinued the rosewood finish :(

Where'd you hear that? A quick search suggests it's endangered (did not know that) and trade is restricted but not banned.

Only other reason I can think of is that they're announcing a Reference Mk2 series as they typically do at a 5 years cadence.

jonfitch

Where'd you hear that? A quick search suggests it's endangered (did not know that) and trade is restricted but not banned.

Only other reason I can think of is that they're announcing a Reference Mk2 series as they typically do at a 5 years cadence.

I don't recall if there ever was an announcement, but last year there was a big sale on the piano black and rosewood finishes discounted to around $5000.00 for the Reference 1 and I think there were sales on other models as well. After that, neither piano black nor rosewood were listed on the website of available Reference finishes anymore.

1618872353870.png

Gurkerl

Does anyone have any experience with the stands that Thomann bundles with some monitors?
https://www.thomann.de/intl/millenium_bs500_set.htm
As I don't have to worry about kids or pets, they seem to be okay for the job. Would love to hear opinions on them, to be certain.

This one looks the same, but it is more than double the price: https://www.thomann.de/intl/gravity_sp_3202_studiomonitor_stand.htm
What would you be missing out on if going for the first option?

Or should one just splurge for on of these? https://www.thomann.de/intl/km_26740_monitorstativ.htm

I can't believe I am overthinking speaker stands...

zeppzeppzepp

Speaker height is sometimes important for room mode.
Stand isolation is important to loudspeaker enclosure resonant and wood floor,
but absorbing resonant not always resulting good sound.
The stand choice need to be considered case by case with just a little care, no magic.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't believe I am overthinking speaker stands...
Then stop it. ;) Anything the correct height that is reasonably ridgid and heavy (or can be filled with something) is fine. Cosmetics is your choice.

brandall10

I've bought a number of speaker stands from Audio Advisor over the years, can't beat em for the money.
https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=54
This appear to be as rigid as you could ever ask for and only $200 a pair.
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS400

I have these stands as well, which were originally a replica of some $600 stands at the time these came out (Pangeas have a much thinner top plate).

In turn, the Monoprice stands are a near replica of the Pangeas with somewhat different post sizes at about half the cost of Pangeas.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794

I absolutely would go with these if I were buying new stands today.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I absolutely would go with these if I were buying new stands today.
Yep, those look pretty good, I'd have to see one to decide if it's the same quality or not. $60 bucks each is a very cheap price ???

Top Bottom