• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I made those .... actually , I had someone cut the wood and plywood pieces for me :facepalm:...
1616633001865.png

These are not my pictures, but my stands are the same , I don't think the entire wood, plywood, screws , glues and cutting cost me $50... I glued and screwed the pieces
I got the idea from this webpage:

25 Excellent DIY Speaker Stands You Should Duplicate

Last edited:
OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Our stands have two top plates 4.3x7.1 and 7x7 so hopefully one of them works

OH REALLY? Awesome I had no idea!! I have no hole in the bottom of my speaker sooooo is that going to be a problem ? I was concerned about the quirky design for matching with my Concept 20

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Wow...sorry to be harsh, but some of those look terrible. Maybe it's some Peter Pan syndrome kicking in since I lived the milk crate speaker stand life through and after college, but even now I think I would pick the milk crates mentioned earlier over about 50-75% of those. Some of those are like if Red Green were audiophiles.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
The problem for many is whether we have fussy partners in our lives. What's the term - 'Happy wife means a happy life?' I've tried to learn my lesson well and yet I still fall foul in one way or another :facepalm: My current speakers are too dominating in this small room, but she keeps her counsel, for now at least!

weasels

I can feel my wallet screaming rn....

Any thoughts on these modestly priced stands? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Dyn...3e30f2&pd_rd_wg=EToEw&pd_rd_i=B07TF9Y3Q9&th=1

I think those look fine.

I have not seen any studies on expensive stands, but the idea that you should spend as much on the stands as the speakers themselves is patently ridiculous. There is a 0% chance the stand matters as much as the speakers do in the process of creating quality audio.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow...sorry to be harsh, but some of those look terrible. Maybe it's some Peter Pan syndrome kicking in since I lived the milk crate speaker stand life through and after college, but even now I think I would pick the milk crates mentioned earlier over about 50-75% of those. Some of those are like if Red Green were audiophiles.

Some need some finishing but really no uglier than most stands are in the first place......but what does "if Red Green were audiophiles" mean?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that's another good point that is often forgotten: Sometimes the price of high quality stands (like those designed specifically for a particular bookshelf speaker) plus the price of the bookshelf speakers will cost almost as much as tower speakers from the same manufacturer/brand!

In such cases, the tower speakers are almost always the better buy (better power and sometimes sound quality, more stability since the single-piece speaker is its own stand, sometimes better aesthetics, etc.) However it does not look like this is the case with Q Acoustics at least, so OP is safe there -- their tower speaker offering costs 2x as much as the bookshelves and stands combo, despite adding only a single extra bass driver per tower versus the bookshelves.

The only real advantages to bookshelf speakers on stands is that they're easier to transport (you can pack up the speakers separately from the less fragile stands), and that they sometimes (as in this case with Q Acoustics) enable a better performance/price ratio.

Well, except in a desktop setup, or even a bedroom setup, where you might not be able to position the towers well for the listener.

And I haven't seen a good tower setup in a kitchen yet :D

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some need some finishing but really no uglier than most stands are in the first place......but what does "if Red Green were audiophiles" mean?

Sorry, a little bit of a deep refernce that I wasn't sure if many would get. https://www.google.com/search?q=red+green&tbm=vid

Raw construction lumber, raw particleboard , PVC pipes and poorly poured unfinished concrete belong in unfinished storage and work spaces like garages sheds and basements, not anywhere inside of finished spaces.

Last edited:
OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

I use kanto stands because they:

1. are stable
  2. aren't expensive
  3. are well made
  4. come in a variety of heights
  5. have interchangeable base plates with built in foam pads
  6. have built in cable management
  7. were easy to put together by myself

Good stands. With some very good ideas, I DO NOT think they were easy to put together. Even the second one when I had figured out the first, getting those first two screws in like he does in the video... Well, it's luck as first was easy second time was a certified NIGHTMARE.

The instructions are seriously lacking specially if you choose to use the alternative top plate and a speaker without a hole.

In the end, I really like the stands, but for me personally, 2 inches shorter would be ideal.

Good solid base! IMO.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you wander off into the realm of esthetic, there is no limit on what you can spend of speakers stands. (or pretty much anything).

Apart from that, some of the DIY suggestions linked by FrantzM look quite handsome.

Top Bottom