• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A hopeless room & sound

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The mini DSP 'typical application' is for dimwits. Nobody puts an A/D-D/A in a pre-power link unless they are stupid. As long as the Marantz has a proper tape out/tape monitor function (which it appears it likely has), that is the best way to integrate the unit.
While I agree with you that an AD/DA conversion after a preamp leads to lower SINAD if you don't listen at max SPL I think in reality this is no longer an audible problem with current AD/DA converters. Telling people stupid who design or use SOTA studio monitors with a DSP crossover like Genelec, Neumann and other brands goes a bit too far. Or professionals using PA systems with DSP based EQs and processors between mixing desk and power amps.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes.

Plus, the other way isn't going to work, putting the miniDSP on the tape loop. As soon as you select a source like Phono or CD, the miniDSP will be bypassed. And selecting Recorder as source won't work, because then the "Audio Out - Recorder" terminals will be switched off and the miniDSP will be listening to silence.

What I'm more concerned about is whether the PM8006 has an internal connection between its preamp and power amp stages when used as an integrated amp. That would bypass the "Pre Out to Power Amp Direct In" loop on the back panel, and make the miniDSP ineffective on that loop. (OTOH if the unit is supplied with jumper leads fitted by default from Pre Out to Power Amp Direct In, then we know the loop is always active and forms the only connection between pre and power stages, and replacing the jumper leads with miniDSP will be fine.) But I'm now getting a very strong feeling that Marantz have wired this unit up to act as either a pure integrated amp directly (internally) connecting its sources to its speaker terminals, OR a preamp only, used with a different power amp, OR a power amp only, fed from a different preamp.

That's why it has this "power amp direct mode", which I now think is the only way to turn on the Power Amp Direct In terminals, and which also completely kills the whole preamp stage: no source switching, no volume control, because Marantz reserve this mode for use with an external preamp.

So, @LouB, if I'm right it looks like you really need to go with separate pre and power amps. Final check with Marantz themselves?

cheers

Last edited:
OP
L

LouB

Yes.

Plus, the other way isn't going to work, putting the miniDSP on the tape loop. As soon as you select a source like Phono or CD, the miniDSP will be bypassed. And selecting Recorder as source won't work, because then the "Audio Out - Recorder" terminals will be switched off and the miniDSP will be listening to silence.

What I'm more concerned about is whether the PM8006 has an internal connection between its preamp and power amp stages when used as an integrated amp. That would bypass the "Pre Out to Power Amp Direct In" loop on the back panel, and make the miniDSP ineffective on that loop. (OTOH if the unit is supplied with jumper leads fitted by default from Pre Out to Power Amp Direct In, then we know the loop is always active and forms the only connection between pre and power stages, and replacing the jumper leads with miniDSP will be fine.) But I'm now getting a very strong feeling that Marantz have wired this unit up to act as either a pure integrated amp directly (internally) connecting its sources to its speaker terminals, OR a preamp only, used with a different power amp, OR a power amp only, fed from a different preamp.

That's why it has this "power amp direct mode", which I now think is the only way to turn on the Power Amp Direct In terminals, and which also completely kills the whole preamp stage: no source switching, no volume control, because Marantz reserve this mode for use with an external preamp.

So, @LouB, if I'm right it looks like you really need to go with separate pre and power amps. Final check with Marantz themselves?

cheers

Yes, I was also thinking (though not as detailed as your explanation) that the amp hooked up just out & back in would somehow kill the pre amp and it would think the DSP is a preamp.
So with that in mind I'm keeping options open. After reading all replies here some saying a mini DSP may not even do much in a room like mine & I should take some measurements.
My plan is I'm going to demo the L82's in a showroom where the room should be much better than mine & get a good feel for what they should sound like. Get the gear set it up & see what I get, I'll try speakers in the 2 spots I have available hopefully I get lucky. If not I'm buying amp from a retailer that has 60 day exchange so if absolutely necessary I can exchange the amp for something with built in DSP or get a separte power amp & preamp. I know it's not the most scientific way to test out speaker performance but in the end it's my ears that are going to decide. There are many more variables than I thought when I started this thread.
Thanks to all for your time & replies I learned a lot & really appreciate it.

Top Bottom