• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A high end DAC that actually isn't garbage.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wanted to fake a YGGDRASIL at a head-fi meetup with something like the D90 inside.

Well, in that case they still shouldnt actually be able to tell any trick, depending on what playing and playing on and who's listening

Kravi4ka

10 grand DAC, $2 dollar remote
720weiss.rem.jpg

Actually it is not a 2$ remote, obviously you haven't had one in your hands. It is pretty nice, heavy and very well finished aluminum, definitely not 2$. The 10K is what it is, they know their marketing and it is their problem to sell enough but please do not make fun on things that you haven't actually seen. Makes it look like the grapes are sour.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Can't say I'm very surprised by these results. Weiss are Swiss, they've been around in the premium space for 30+ years if memory serves, and their thing has been low jitter for many years now. So they've always been an engineering-driven company, and right now they're actually employing Samuel Groner (you know, the guy with the op-amp measurements). They used to be big into studio converters but shifted to the deep-pocketed audiophile market with its much higher margins when demand for big studio equipment started dwindling.

Tks

Major Contributor
I saw someone in the comments talking about some of the real state of the art DACs that have been verified here, and asked when Stereophile's going to stop messing around and review these (Okto RME Matrix etc..), John Atkinson says he's asked for samples of the 8 channel and stereo variants to review. That's nice to see.

One dude in the comments section though, had me laughing a bit:

you actually think throwing an off the shelf ESS Tech. or AKM DAC chip into a box, adding its' off the shelf software and a basic (probably generic op-amp based) analog section and power supply makes a DAC state of the art? Seriously? I'm sorry your hearing isn't good enough to tell the difference but that's about as far from state of the art as one can get.
Oh, and obvious troll is still pretty dang obvious (and still bad at it).

:facepalm:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The ‘old boys’ in the industry have to cling to the FUD model, it is sad.
One of the reasons this place is so powerful, when you can point to the measurements...
Keith

zoran-grbic

Regrettably, the measurement results are Chinese to me as I don’t have the necessary background to interpret the data. That’s why I’m here and trust @amirm blindly.

However, I just have difficulty to understand why it has to cost 10K€? Does it upgrade the sound quality of my present setup by 10K€? Or do I need to upgrade everything in order to reach the audio Nirvana it promises?

You, see, if I decide that I need an expensive car and I buy a Maserati, I will instantly upgrade my automotive craving. And I can enjoy it without having to invest in everything more expensive.

I’m not sure I would be able to do the same with my setup. Will my KEF’s sound 10K€ better if I use the Weiss?

Or am I really missing the point?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No, room and loudspeakers, room and loudspeakers etc etc etc.
Keith

Top Bottom