• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good used CD player ?

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Because for every person who likes the ritual there are 99 who just want to listen to a choice of any album in their collection instantly and without fussing around with bits of plastic. It's precisely because listening to music is such a passion that we'd like to forget all that other nonsense that gets in the way; roll the dice on whether the next disk is going to be dirty, scratched, in the wrong box etc. (I know, peasants, right?).

"Every time" because every thread is a separate thread and there's literally zero chance the person who's going to post this question next is going to go read all the other, similar answers first.
Then there will be 99 people who will use the digital file and only one (but I think many more) will ask for advice on a cd player (or for a turntable, or for a tube amplifier, etc., etc.) and it's only fair that I have answers on a player cd, if you have nothing to say about it just don't answer.
Everyone has their own way of living his passion, and it's very impolite to want to impose your own vision on others.
The same happens with those who ask for advice on tube amplifiers, on speakers to use without subs, etc.
Op asked for advice on a cd player, it's only fair to respond to his request since we assume he's aware of the existence of digital files.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, the ideal is unattainable in the real world and unfortunately, the importance of analog part is always underestimated in the "completely digital world".
Huh? What is that suppose to mean?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Hi there,

I buy back some audio gear after a period where I sold everything and I am looking for a nice CD player.

I have a good collection of CD and this is my second listening source after streaming so yes, I am in to buy a CD player.

In the past I had a Cambridge Audio CD6, pretty good I remember the deep and solid bass and it sounded like "large spectrum".
Then I had a Arcam Alpha, I can't remember if it was Alpha 7 or 8. I remember the sound was sweeter, more "velvet cloth", less bass tight...
But we all know sound memory can be very tricky.

I am a student, I would like something about 100 €.

Here : https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-24-cd-players-what-hi-fis-lifetime

they talk about the Marantz CD52 and the Arcam Alpha 7 I may already had.
Both can be found for around 100 €.

Does someones know these two CD players and can tell me "go for the Arcam again you won't be disappointed !" or "go for the Marantz that's a true stuff from a great audio brand !"

Or any suggestion in my budget !

Thanks,
Florian
Skipping the replies and going for the OP first, CD52SE was a warm toned softie and Alpha 7 was best in SE form (and level matched, you COULD hear the difference!!!

Marantz to me is a dogs dinner and if any of the cheaper ones have a 'KI' badge on, I'd avoid like the plague as all manner of stuff was done, some cosmetic like copper screws and other stuff to make the machines stand out from the crowd in my opinion.

Loads of sleepers out there with some life left, but I'd look for late 90's to mid noughties models I think. Denon is usually a safe bet and I'm very fond of the DCD 1015 I was given (I have a 1520 as well which is built like a brick outhouse but ''sounds' the same to me). NAD's better machines were good if plain, Rotel had some nice players too and I liked a Technics 670 I had recently to clean a slicky laser sled (worked perfectly after sorting), the 770 version with 'better' dac. Sony also had some nice ones, the 930 an interesting take having a fixed laser and the disc transport sliding back and forth.

So many others. One final one which in the UK will be more like £200 I suspect is the original Rega Planet. We sold it as a 'system' with 'Couple' interconnect (Klotz AC110) and Remote for £600 or so. May be too 'characterful' all round for objectivists here, but clients loved it...

DSJR

Major Contributor
That list is incomplete. It does not include the thousands of other CD payers that where common.
My machine has a TDA 1541 and I honestly don't know why it and the matching digital filter, the latter which *really* gives the sound are so damned popular still. HUGELY dependant on the power supply cleanliness and with some ehf spikes at 70kHz or so I recall from Paul Miller reviews of the time, it can sound rather 'grubby' today and the ballsy sound from many popular machines using this chipset is shown today to be a bit of a 'samey' colouration well surpassed by other technologies I feel.

1990's to mid noughties CD players really were a toss-up between truthfulness of reproduction compared to audiophoolery models with a distinct 'sound' all their own, often to appeal to vinyl lovers. Arcam's trick back then was to max the level to 2.5V rather than 2V so their players sounded slightly louder and more 'impressive' in a dem.

naviivan

they talk about the Marantz CD52 and the Arcam Alpha 7 I may already had.
Both can be found for around 100 €.

Does someones know these two CD players and can tell me "go for the Arcam again you won't be disappointed !" or "go for the Marantz that's a true stuff from a great audio brand !"

Or any suggestion in my budget !
The Marantz they mention is the CD52 MKII SE
I bought the Marantz CD52 for $50AUD to listen to my CDs again because I didn't want to pay for a streaming service.
Enjoyable sound. Nothing harsh. I'm also a fan of the Arcam. Either would be a good budget CD player.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still keep all of about 2,000 CDs 30 hybrid SACDs, 300 vinyl LPs, several DVDs in my glass-door shelves upstairs, all has been ripped/digitized and stored (saved) in my fanless spindle-less silent audio dedicated PC's SSD; only if needed, I may bring any of them onto my CD player, SACD-DVD player or TT (turntable) in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio setup (ref. here and here for the latest setup).

Around the time when my CD collection exceeded 500 discs, it became sometimes difficult for me remembering which one I have or not. This is one of the many reasons I rip/digitize all the physical music media into digital music library.

You may find here my organization policy and practice building digital music library.

It is just amazing now I can search and find one specific music track almost instantaneously, from the digital library consists of about 40,000 tracks, using JRiver MC (or Roon).

Edit:
As for the details of my procedures for vinyl LP into digital AIFF files, please refer here on my project thread.

Last edited:

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
ES series Sony's and if they need a fleshing up they are worth it. Denon pro series and Cocktail are a nice option if you want to record LPs
and don't want to invest in a separate phonostage. I used a Puffin to tweak some of the sound, but the playback was quite good to listen to
from LP to CDR and then through the Cocktail or Denon.

Good enough for the girls I know.

As far as dead media, I think I'll throw a couple 78s on the Victrola. Nothing is dead, unless it's forgotten or I can't wind up the ol' Vic. :cool:

Regards

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon is usually a safe bet and I'm very fond of the DCD 1015 I was given (I have a 1520 as well which is built like a brick outhouse but ''sounds' the same to me)
Denon is all Sony mechanism and ICs/chips inside. I know because I provided Denon warranty service for several years in the 90s. It's very common to find Sony stuff in Denon gear like amps and receivers and CD players.
Skipping the replies and going for the OP first, CD52SE was a warm toned softie and Alpha 7 was best in SE form (and level matched, you COULD hear the difference!!!
Out of several hundred+ CD player models that I have experience with both in sales and repair over 24 years the only one I heard that sounded different was the Kinergetics KCD-40. It used a Philips transport and the additional PCB you see on the right is all the stuff that replaced the original DAC and stuff. It sounded smooooth but it skipped a lot and made nasty snap snap pop sounds if scratches where on the disc. I have not heard the Alpha 7 and the CD52SE.
1331682-b655c9b1-kinergetics-kcd40-cd-player.jpg

1331687-fb5a6460-kinergetics-kcd40-cd-player.jpg

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, Denon, and Cambridge Audio all make current lines of CD players below US$1000. Pick any one that meets your price and ergonomic needs - they will all sound the same when level-matched. You can likely find refurbished models as "used".

little-endian

CD players are dead.
And yet still virtually entirely fulfilling the human's hearing capabilities and that since around 40 years now. If that wasn't a marvelous achievement and rock solid product design, I don't know what is today.

I have a large collection of CDs that are ripped and available to play, but I enjoy physically inserting my discs into the player and playing them.
Glad that I'm not the only one sharing that spleen. From a technical point of view, of course the CD is hopelessly outdated as a physical storage medium in terms of robustness, access times and data rates, but it is still amazing how well they work (at least pressed ones) which like from 1982 run as on their day one.

Another thing is that using PC-based systems, due to their way higher capabilities and complexity, there is "always something". Output setting here, driver there, some instance or system sound getting in between, resampling or truncating of the data, etc. A CD and a player just works. You turn it on and that stuff just works. No network sharing shit which malfunctions, login data driving you mad ...

Stereophile used to regularly recommend Sony Playstation 1.
Which probably shows the bitter irony of that whole audiophile voodoo business when now exactly that kind of device where CDDA playback definitely was a side-product at best and thus the last one to take high-end fidelity into account as any priority gets praised after all.
And yet, once something is obscure and rare enough to be interesting again, nothing is out of question or too far-fetched. Be it scratchy and by today's standards horrible audio quality - providing vinyl, a Sony PlayStation with a crappy, floppy drive (which mystically still provides bit-perfect data, what a surprise) or belt-driven (!) Burmester CD players.

they will all sound the same when level-matched. You can likely find refurbished models as "used".
This is actually something which astonishes me. Given all that blabber about soundstage, air between instruments, texture and whatnot of music playback, it would be so easy for any manufacturer to tweak the output with an EQ just so ever so slightly to really create their "unique" sound signature which otherwise gets rather imagined by force.

Maybe it would be too easy to be revealed by measurements then but on the other hand, they aren't shy of claiming differences here and there which can't even be measured, so I really wonder why the outputs of most players and DACs in fact is very similar besides the output levels.

Anyway, from a rational point of few, the sound quality of a CD-player is the least important aspect but what rather counts is:

- pre-emphasis support. Part of the CD standard and thus mandatory but that doesn't necessarily protect against ignorance with manufacturers ("hello Topping, include that in your DACs!")
- overall reliability
- CD-RW support
- tolerance against damages, scratches, aging, variations of pit-/land lenghts, etc. Different players do implement different error correction schemes so what may still be error free on the C2 stage in one player may lead to errors on a another
- drive noise while operating
- overall functions, programmability
- additional features like a level meter. Not necessary but nice
- "bit-perfection" of the S/PDIF output. Most should do that but some might perform "funny adjustments" such as level reduction, dithering the LSB, applying resampling, etc. Can be quite easily tested though
- proper slow down of the disc before ejecting the disc. Rare, but especially CD-ROM drives really used to partly spit out the disc while still up to speed
- headroom for intersample peaks, at least from a technical viewpoint just like with the refrains from resampling or level changing, whether perceivable or not

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wonder why the outputs of most players and DACs in fact is very similar besides the output levels.
Because ruler flat FR is highly desirable. You can always get a Schiit Loki if you want tone controls. Or play vinyl.

little-endian

Of course it is, but that assumes rationality and the only way to really set themselves appart from the competition sound-wise, would be through some form of EQ.

After all, vinyl is still relatively popular while the LaserDisc with also way better specs for its FM-audio (if one thinks "digital" is evil and desperately wants to have it analog) isn't.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're right I could do that, FLAC rip and then play on the computer but I like to handle my discs, see the artwork, read the booklet....
If you understand, as was mentioned many time and rightly so, that your CDs will sound the same on all the players, if not defective, and what you are after is a nice experience in playing them, you mention liking to handle the disc, etc....., then, for the tactile experience and proud of ownership, I would recommend you try to find a nice looking CD transport or player. Some older machine are like jewelry, they play or give time, like any other cheaper device, but owning them, if you are sensible to such feeling, can be very enjoyable.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget is only 100 euros - anything from JVC, Denon, Sony, Technics. Hundreds of them on ebay and you should have some change left over.

Marantz seem to be inexplicably more expensive, Philips tend to be plasticky, more obscure brands are just one of the above dressed up and sold at a premium price.

JVC have the orange LCD displays, good a reason to choose one of those as any.

Cheap BD players can be mechanically noisy, I'd avoid those unless you need BD capability also.

vrobec

I have Marantz CD63 and CD48. Both sound good. I'm planning to try a player with 1541 dac.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My requirements for a CD player are:

1. It is optimized for CD, so it doesn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what kind of disc was inserted (maybe that has improved over the years in the multi-format boxes)

2. It has digital outputs so it can mesh with the rest of my gear, and NOT (if it would) have "sound of its own"..

My 1997 player became skippy, so I replaced it a few years ago with a basic Tascam CD200, plain version.

Top Bottom