• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good used CD player ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The players have equal noise levels or this also don't matter ? Or some of tens of types attenuation in both digital/analog domains.
Pointless...
I don't understand what you are getting at or asking? Can you please phrase the stuff differently and maybe that will work better. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What facts except you heard 40 players playing the same ?
Do you know how to read basic specs on a CD player. Do you understand the limits of your hearing? I ask because if you don't then we need to teach you so you can understand better. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What facts except you heard 40 players playing the same ?
So you're sure you'd hear bass/treble differences among all of them to varying degrees of accuracy with those golden ears of yours?

dedobot

Do you know how to read basic specs on a CD player. Do you understand the limits of your hearing? I ask because if you don't then we need to teach you so you can understand better. :D
Basic specs of the mass home audio goods !? They are for the lulz . Also they differ . I can't understand your point

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Basic specs of the mass home audio goods !? They are for the lulz . Also they differ . I can't understand your point
@dedobot you need to understand English better or change your attitude or both. I have been very kind to you and you are unresponsive and stuck in your ways. Perhaps you can read a book to learn about stuff because I can't help you under these conditions.

Last edited:

DavidM1

Blu-ray players cost next to nothing. Most have either a coax or optical digital out that you can send to your favourite DAC. At this point the audio quality becomes as good as your DAC provides and many cheap DACs are essentially transparent.

The only issue is finding a blue-ray player with a display panel, if that’s important to you. Older models had these but they tend to be ugly as.

I’m appalled to see high-end CD players selling for thousands. I genuinely don’t understand it. My blu-ray for music cost $20 (no lie) and my DAC a couple of hundred. How can these spivs charge so much to pluck audio data from a disc?

OP
FTB

FTB

Thanks for the replies
I was in a same boat. Rip the discs in lossless format ,store them at the shelf and play the files.
You're right I could do that, FLAC rip and then play on the computer but I like to handle my discs, see the artwork, read the booklet....
I don't think you can go wrong with a Sony/Denon/Kenwood from the late 90s / early 2000s.
Thanks for the tip.
Blu-ray players cost next to nothing. Most have either a coax or optical digital out that you can send to your favourite DAC. At this point the audio quality becomes as good as your DAC provides and many cheap DACs are essentially transparent.

The only issue is finding a blue-ray player with a display panel, if that’s important to you. Older models had these but they tend to be ugly as.

I’m appalled to see high-end CD players selling for thousands. I genuinely don’t understand it. My blu-ray for music cost $20 (no lie) and my DAC a couple of hundred. How can these spivs charge so much to pluck audio data from a disc?
Yes I could do that, buy a transport then a DAC that has been tested here by amir and that we know it has stellar performance but I don't know how to choose a correct transport...

DavidM1

Yes I could do that, buy a transport then a DAC that has been tested here by amir and that we know it has stellar performance but I don't know how to choose a correct transport...
I really don’t think it matters. I use an inexpensive Sony blu-ray that is a current model even though I bought it used. If you think about the density of data that a laser extracts from a blu-ray disc for gorgeous 4k video and audio, the job of reading a 700 megabyte CD is relatively simple… almost neanderthal. Lol.

A big advantage of using an outboard DAC is that you can also use the other inputs and it opens up using a streamer if you don’t already do that.

If you do get an older CD player I’d aim for one that also has coax output to leave the DAC option open.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your ref,,,

According to my long experiences in digital audio, most reliable/accurate CD ripping software with fairly nice automatic tag search is dBpoweramp; "dBpoweramp Music Converter & CD Ripper".

dedobot

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was in a same boat. Rip the discs in lossless format ,store them at the shelf and play the files.
I don't understand why every time someone asks about a cd player, someone brings up this comment.
I have a large collection of CDs that are ripped and available to play, but I enjoy physically inserting my discs into the player and playing them.
This is a passion, not just cold efficiency, every now and then someone seems to forget it

notsodeadlizard

CD players don't normally have any particular "sound". They are generally very good at accurately converting digital to analog. That's actually true of most electronics. (Different amplifiers and receivers will have different "features" and different power output.)

On the other hand, every speaker and headphone sounds different. With headphones there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality (chec the reviews here). But with speakers more money can usually buy better sound. Room acoustics also affect the sound from speakers.

Anything that works should be OK. CD/DVD/Blu-Ray players can be found cheaply these days but most don't have analog outputs or any kind of display (relying on the video display).
Can I tell you how correct your statement "CD players don't normally have..." sounds?

Ideally, there should be no difference between CD transports, and the difference between CD players should be negligible because the analog part in their design is negligible in terms of apparent complexity.
Unfortunately, the ideal is unattainable in the real world and unfortunately, the importance of analog part is always underestimated in the "completely digital world".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CD players are getting tough to find. You either have to refurb an old one or pay an exorbitant price for the uniqueness (?). I simply bought a Blu-Ray player. That or a DVD player can be had cheap these days.

threni

Major Contributor
I don't understand why every time someone asks about a cd player, someone brings up this comment.
I have a large collection of CDs that are ripped and available to play, but I enjoy physically inserting my discs into the player and playing them.
This is a passion, not just cold efficiency, every now and then someone seems to forget it
Because for every person who likes the ritual there are 99 who just want to listen to a choice of any album in their collection instantly and without fussing around with bits of plastic. It's precisely because listening to music is such a passion that we'd like to forget all that other nonsense that gets in the way; roll the dice on whether the next disk is going to be dirty, scratched, in the wrong box etc. (I know, peasants, right?).

"Every time" because every thread is a separate thread and there's literally zero chance the person who's going to post this question next is going to go read all the other, similar answers first.

tuga

Major Contributor
CD players don't normally have any particular "sound". They are generally very good at accurately converting digital to analog. That's actually true of most electronics. (Different amplifiers and receivers will have different "features" and different power output.)
In which (theoretical) world have you been living on?

Top Bottom