• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good used CD player ?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Marantz CD63 and CD48. Both sound good. I'm planning to try a player with 1541 dac.
What leads you to believe that a different DAC chip will make the next CD player sound better?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m appalled to see high-end CD players selling for thousands. I genuinely don’t understand it.
Actually, the whole “high end” plays this game. They are targeting people who have more disposable income than engineering insight.

isostasy

I just bought some active speakers so was planning to just use the line out of a portable CD player with them. Any real issues with this?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought some active speakers so was planning to just use the line out of a portable CD player with them. Any real issues with this?
A line out running into the analogue input of active speakers is OK. :D You may need to adjust the gain switch to get enough volume out of the speakers and this is normal to do.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope - it should work. Your output quality is likely to be more limited by the analog amp of the CD player.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HoweSound

I have kept my Denon 2910, so called "universal" player because it plays SACD's and DVD audio discs. I have a Sony BDP S6500 Blu Ray player. It will play the SACD layer of SACD disks and you can use it to rip SACD to dsd as well. Just buy a Sony player - problem solved.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Marantz CD63 and CD48. Both sound good. I'm planning to try a player with 1541 dac.
Do the players have a coax output? If so, you could try an inexpensive external DAC. I use one with my older Cambridge Audio Azur 540C CD player. I’ve determined that the DAC does not really make it sound better, but it did make me feel better when I bought it.

The cost was low enough that I never fretted about overspending and the transport continues to work well.

DavidM1

I’m one of those who enjoys playing an occasional CD, especially as background while working at the desk. For more attentive listening I’m likely to be streaming Apple Music or accessing our library of downloaded CDs via AirPlay.

CDs are a relaxing pleasure.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimF

Forum Donor
I could be wrong, and I am the champion of being wrong, but I think just about all cd players in current production whether pricey or not use the same Phillips drive and Sanyo laser mechanism. No one else is making cd drive mechanisms for consumer grade home audio products. In a way, that makes this drive and laser mechanism the prevailing standard.

Middle Earth

I am a big believer in something like this
I ❤️ M-Disc for Flac and full strength downloads and playing and recording every freaking disc format.
Transports just do not make sense to me. $120 gets you the keys to the kingdom.

PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S Silver Color to Match Your Computer.6X Slot Loading Portable USB 3.2 Gen1(3.0) BD/DVD/CD Writer. Supports BDXL and M-Disc Format. USB Bus Powered https://a.co/d/54VDZaj

WDeranged

A couple of years ago I got a second hand Marantz CD6004. It sounds excellent. I did spend a few nights comparing it to my Topping D10S and it was near identical. Maaaaybe just a smidge of extra bass in the Marantz. Basically nothing.

I've no idea how it compares to other similarly priced CD players but I suspect there won't be much in it.

Top Bottom