• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good low cost preamp like Schiit Saga+?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I am looking for a good passive preamp with remote control. Is there any low cost choice similar to Schiit Saga+?

It will be used between my Khatha Tone Board and my stereo amp. Total RCA cable length from KTB to amp should be around 6'.

Thanks!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I am looking for a good passive preamp with remote control. Is there any low cost choice similar to Schiit Saga+?

It will be used between my Khatha Tone Board and my stereo amp. Total RCA cable length from KTB to amp should be around 6'.

Thanks!
Why not Saga+? Don't need or want to pay for the gain stage?

I have a Saga S in my bedroom and I am very happy with it. It is very nicely built even compared to all my other Schiit like Magnius, Modius, Hel, Heresy, Sys. I am kinda planning on a Freya+ for the main system at some point. My wire asked the other day if we have/can get a remote for it and how much and I told her $1000, the approx. cost of Freya+ with tax and shipping.

There are some Chinese passives with remotes, but I am not sure about performance.

Sometimes Schiit has Saga S in B stock but not currently. I got mine there for 279.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Why not Saga+? Don't need or want to pay for the gain stage?

I have a Saga S in my bedroom and I am very happy with it. It is very nicely built even compared to all my other Schiit like Magnius, Modius, Hel, Heresy, Sys. I am kinda planning on a Freya+ for the main system at some point. My wire asked the other day if we have/can get a remote for it and how much and I told her $1000, the approx. cost of Freya+ with tax and shipping.

There are some Chinese passives with remotes, but I am not sure about performance.

Sometimes Schiit has Saga S in B stock but not currently. I got mine there for 279.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I am looking for something like SYS, but with a remote. Not too expensive, but with excellent performance. : )

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the input. Yes, I am looking for something like SYS, but with a remote. Not too expensive, but with excellent performance. : )
I literally just needed remote volume control and got Saga, which, as I said, is a very nice piece of gear. I was surprised when I took it out of the box.

Looking at some of the Douk audio ones and I dont see any with volume control on the remote, only source selection and muting on remote and volume on the device.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I literally just needed remote volume control and got Saga, which, as I said, is a very nice piece of gear. I was surprised when I took it out of the box.

Looking at some of the Douk audio ones and I dont see any with volume control on the remote, only source selection and muting on remote and volume on the device.
Thanks for searching. I searched around Amazon and most seems to have poor measurements (as provided by the descriptions). I may go with Saga+. Currently using Khadas Tone Board direct to amp and I found the sound could be fatiguing at listening level of around 85db and up. Maybe tubes could soften those sharp notes a bit?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for searching. I searched around Amazon and most seems to have poor measurements (as provided by the descriptions). I may go with Saga+. Currently using Khadas Tone Board direct to amp and I found the sound could be fatiguing at listening level of around 85db and up. Maybe tubes could soften those sharp notes a bit?

It should be extrememly transparent in passive mode, and pretty transparent, in active mode.

Based on the measurments Amir did in his review, I doubt the tube will change the sound very much, except making it louder, but tubes are always fun to play around with.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
It should be extrememly transparent in passive mode, and pretty transparent, in active mode.

Based on the measurments Amir did in his review, I doubt the tube will change the sound very much, except making it louder, but tubes are always fun to play around with.
I see. Maybe what I need is tube preamp with higher distortion measurements.
: )

holbob

There's usually some project pre's on ebay at any one time. Usually go for half price second hand

Cougar

I have the Saga + in my system and it's been the most transparent preamp in my system to date. I was blown away at how clear and detailed it was in either mode. You just have to make sure your source gear has enough output cause the Saga is 1 to1. The loudest I ever got my Saga + up to was about 3pm on the dial and that was loud with all my sources and driving either the Crown XLS 1502 or VTA-120 amps. I enjoy it in either mode but usually have it in the Active tube buffer mode.

I'm currently recapping my EDGE M8 (Black) to get back up to like new. This will be a good test for the Saga + with the Edge M8 as I know how good that amp is and will show any weakness in the Saga +, but should be a nice match.

DSJR

Major Contributor
If the intention is for the passive side ot be used mostly, why not a Saga S? Should be more transparent than the valve version and cheaper too...

Cougar

If the intention is for the passive side ot be used mostly, why not a Saga S? Should be more transparent than the valve version and cheaper too...
The SS and Tube mode are very close in transparency with the tube side giving you that slightly smoother tube sound. It's nice to have both in one unit and some flexibility. I run both depending on what I'm listening too and on what amp. I usually run the Tube amp in winter and the SS amps in summer cause it get a little on the toasty side here in SoCal and I enjoy both setups but that's my preference.

raindance

Major Contributor
Channel Islands Audio makes a nice passive, but it's quite pricey. Look for a used one. Personally, I'd go with the Schiit.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The SS and Tube mode are very close in transparency with the tube side giving you that slightly smoother tube sound. It's nice to have both in one unit and some flexibility. I run both depending on what I'm listening too and on what amp. I usually run the Tube amp in winter and the SS amps in summer cause it get a little on the toasty side here in SoCal and I enjoy both setups but that's my preference.
Tube side giving that slightly smoother tube sound? Not high fidelity then and definitely not something I'd want added by the electronics ;) Your mileage obviously varies here :)

By the way, passive preamps (volume control in a box) isn't always the best way to drive a power amp, but that's another can-o-worms as some amps encourage this and others just - don't.....

raindance

Major Contributor
The best thing about the Schiit is that it can be passive or buffered. Best of both worlds. Of course this is assuming a passive works and there's no gain issues.

Top Bottom