• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good DAC/AMP combo under 150 dollars without wireless connectivity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58865

I don't want bluetooth or any wireless connectivity. I have AIYIMA A07 TPA3251 amplifier connected to my mainboard line-out. This is kind of okay because my speakers are eltax monitor 3 which is not very sensitive to noise. I do not notice any hiss unless I crank up the amplifier volume beyond 12'o clock.

However, the channel balance at low volumes with AIYIMA A07 is not great. I want to set the volume below 9'o clock. Maybe, I can just fix the volume at 9'o clock and reduce volume digitally. This increases noise floor, though.

I'm just looking for a decent budget DAC/AMP combo for driving my speakers. It doesn't have to be excellent. It just needs to sound good enough and not have noticeable imbalance between channels.

I don't need a lot of power. My ears can't stand power because I'm close to speakers. But, good channel balance at low volumes and low noise are desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

staticV3

Master Contributor
here's a good place to start looking: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...rby=price&orderway=asc&id_category=6307&n=200
you can do Ctrl+F and type "Bluetooth", that way it's easy to see which ones to avoid.

Edit: I found some inexpensive Amps with USB input, but they all have Bluetooth built-in unfortunately.
Most of them have antennas that you can remove though.
SMSL A100
SMSL A300
SMSL SA300
Loxjie A30
Sabaj A4

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Maybe, I should look into attenuators because attenuators let me reduce volumes without turning the volume knob below 9'o clock.

Something like SMSL SA300 without bluetooth would be good enough for me.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Harrison Labs 12 dB RCA Line Level Audio Attenuator Pair.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I discovered that setting digital volume to -12db is similar to attaching a pair of 12db analogue RCA attenuators to my amplifier's RCA input.

I don't hear hiss with the volume knob at 9'o clock. So, I'd rather set the digital volume to -12db.

If hiss is audible through my computer's fan noise, then it's time to get a USB DAC and maybe also a pair of RCA attenuators.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

There's the Fiio K5 Pro
I ordered FiiO K5 Pro ESS. I'm going to use it as a headphone DAC/AMP combo. I wouldn't use it as a DAC for my speakers because it doesn't let me switch between headphones and speakers. I would want a separate DAC for my speakers.

Top Bottom