• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A few tips on bass management with the Parasound P6 Preamp

My adventures in stereo

I have been using the Parasound P6, for the past year
it is a very feature rich preamp, with a wide variety of connectivity options, balanced, unbalanced and digital
Also has very well thought out user features, from simple things like a conveniently placed mute button, volume memory functions
And of course the built high pass and low pass filters and tone controls on the front panel, with an easy defeat button
A lot to like here

With the coming of the coming of the minidsp SHD, with built in DIRAC live & REW based, sub management
I decided to move on the minidsp

I found a few useful tips for bass management with the P6, which I thought I would share here

- the bass gain really starts kicking in from the 7'o clock position
- I was initially very reluctant to run it at these settings, worrying about conventional wisdom on distortion
- The bass gain at these positions, shows very smooth response on the curves measured in REW, no distortion
- The Sub gain and bass gain have an additive effect on system bass
- I settled on running them at 8 - 9 o clock position, for optimum gain for me
- I was using the built in parametric eq of the dual SVS PB 2000 pros, with this, running at around -21 to -24 db for a target of around 88 -90 db on REW

Very pleased with the resultant bass, now looking forward to playing with the minidsp SHD
Hope this is helpful, for fellow P^ users

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Also worth noting is that the volume control on the P6, is non linear, it is very quiet till around 60 setting
for 85 db listening levels , I was usually running it at 66-72 volume level

Gary_G

Looking forward to finishing out my built of P6 and A23+ based system. Very new to all this.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also worth noting is that the volume control on the P6, is non linear, it is very quiet till around 60 setting
for 85 db listening levels , I was usually running it at 66-72 volume level
Yes, this is important to mention and why i returned the unit. They do a poor job of letting you know this is normal behavior for the volume control. I had to call and confirm with their support.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the bass gain really starts kicking in from the 7'o clock position
settled on running them at 8 - 9 o clock position, for optimum gain for me
ok, this is a little strange. i think maybe you have your clock calculations misconstrued.
12 o'clock (noon) is zero, the 7, 8 or 9 as you mention are in the negative. So maybe you mean 2 or 3 o'clock.
Yes, this is important to mention and why i returned the unit. They do a poor job of letting you know this is normal behavior for the volume control. I had to call and confirm with their support.
It's just a logarithmic scale, some people prefer it more than a linear scale pot. Just takes a little getting used to it.

I have a P5 that uses the alps analog linear pot. Took 3 units to get a perfect one. But four years now and still going good (quiet). I tried the P6 just because of the logarithmic vol control pot being used. While i didn't mind it, and actually was able to listen at lower volume levels. There was no real benefit over the P5, both have the same bass management, high and low crossover features. I actually think the P5 has a better sounding midrange (yes there should be no difference I agree, but there was). For some reason I thought the P6 was a little grainy (unnatural) in the mids.
While the P6 gives you an extra digital input and a so called better dac, it was just not worth it to me.
Paired with an Anthem amplifier, the P5 is completely audibly transparent, 24/ 192 is good enough for me, so I kept the P5.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Looking forward to finishing out my built of P6 and A23+ based system. Very new to all this.
Cool, you could save a few $ and pick up a older A23 for half the price and get virtually the same performance

I would pick up a nuprime ST10, instead of the A23+

Gary_G

Cool, you could save a few $ and pick up a older A23 for half the price and get virtually the same performance

I would pick up a nuprime ST10, instead of the A23+
Thanks,

Currently have.

Parasound A23+
Focal 926
Old Sony AVR that im using as a preamp
cheap Sony DVD/CD player
Roku

When the supply chain catches up I will be upgrading to

Parasound P6
Bluesound Node
Panamax MR5100
New TV

Gary_G

Attachments

• DSC02635.JPG
    DSC02635.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 130

Shanman

Forum Donor
Here's a link with Parasound directly explaining the volume control on the P6. About mid page the explanation comes from member "Pivetta".
Thought it might be helpful to those sniffing around the P6 preamp.

Gary_G

Response from Parasound in reference to the Variable gain settings.

We recommend starting with the A23+ rear panel mounted gain knobs at their full clockwise position. If you like the rate at which the primary volume control of the P6 raises and lowers when adjusting the volume, leave the A23+ rear panel mounted gain knobs as is. If the volume rate is too "twitchy", reduce those gain lots until you find the right balance of the rate of increase or decrease using the P6 volume control.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

ok, this is a little strange. i think maybe you have your clock calculations misconstrued.
12 o'clock (noon) is zero, the 7, 8 or 9 as you mention are in the negative. So maybe you mean 2 or 3 o'clock.
You are correct, I mean 2-3 'o clock indeed
some how missed this part of your response on my earlier read through

oddjob

I have the Parasound P6/A23+ running my LR and two subs. I use this setup for stereo listening when not tying it into my theater through the HT bypass inputs. When in theater bypass, the bass management is handled through my prepro. I am looking at one of the DIRAC minidsp options for stereo listening but am wondering how this works. I want to tune via REW for DIRAC stereo room correction. According to minidsp, the unit goes between the P6 and A23+ but I can't find any good info on how to best incorporate it into my system. I want all the digital and analog stereo sources to go through the P6 and have the P6 control volume, but I've also heard you don't want an attenuated signal feeding the minidsp. How did you set it up?

oddjob

Perfect, thanks. I'm ordering the SHD. Do you fix the gain/volume on the SHD and use the P6 or Prepro for volume control?

Top Bottom