• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A few newbie questions (DACs, amplifiers, etc.)

movehome

Hi all,

I recently discovered the forum and bought a pair of Polk ES20 speakers. Listening to them for the first time was really amazing and reignited my music-listening hobby.

After reading a bunch of reviews and watching some of Amir's YT videos, I've ordered some additional products and am hoping someone can answer a couple related questions and make sure I am not making some mistake in regard to how to use them properly and whether they all work together as I imagine they should.

First, for the Polk ES20 speakers, I've ordered the Aiyima A07 amp and a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII DAC. I'm hoping to be able to just connect my laptop to the DAC -> amp -> speakers and play the music this way via Roon (for EQ) playing local audio files, not streaming. Is there any issue with using this amp and DAC together (how much does "matching" amps and DACs even matter)? I'm sure there's lots of information about pairing amps and DAC's out there but I haven't really found it yet and I figure a lot of the stuff I've seen elsewhere on the net is probably bogus.

Second, is there any difference between DACs meant for headphones and speakers? Amir mentioned headphone DACs in a video I just watched but I can't really find an answer to this question. He was referring to products he reviewed early on when this site was in its early stages.

Finally, I also ordered a topping dx3 pro+ to use with my Hifiman 400i headphones. Is the dx3 fine to use with these headphones which have an impedance of 35 ohms?

Thanks for any responses!

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I recently discovered the forum
Hey, welcome. :)
Is the dx3 fine to use with these headphones which have an impedance of 35 ohms?
Looks ok;
index.php

... not a good match for anything 20 Ohm or lower.

JSmith

Top Bottom