• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A few JBL / M2 questions

Hifiaudio177

Hey folks, I have a few related questions on the M2 and complimentary JBL pieces I hope the fine folk here can help with.
1. Any rumors or chance the M2 will be refreshed/enhanced with any type of update or even active model in the not too distant future?
2. I've been considering getting into a full "end game" JBL scenario for a while, but there seem to be some choices to make outside of just selecting the m2s. From complimentary surrounds and heights to amplification. Can the group give me some opinions on what to best pair? From something like JBL 708p for surrounds to some of the inwalls, I'm looking for some advice on what may make a best pairing. Same with amplification I know there are some crown amps that are suggested. I also hear those are incredibly loud as far as fans and may lead to some hiss? Are there better amplification pairings that perform just as well but are perhaps passive? Right now my equipment stack is inside the theater but that could be rectified if I really needed to. So ultimately just looking for advice on complimentary pairings. Also keeping the amplification costs as low as possible would be great as I am not sure that diminishing returns doesn't set in well before the typical crown price points. Open to suggestions there.
3. I probably am most interested in buying all of this used any particular place to find sellers ? I don't know what the most popular Hi-Fi selling places are right now. Maybe just forums like this?
Thanks!!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey folks, I have a few related questions on the M2 and complimentary JBL pieces I hope the fine folk here can help with.
1. Any rumors or chance the M2 will be refreshed/enhanced with any type of update or even active model in the not too distant future?
2. I've been considering getting into a full "end game" JBL scenario for a while, but there seem to be some choices to make outside of just selecting the m2s. From complimentary surrounds and heights to amplification. Can the group give me some opinions on what to best pair? From something like JBL 708p for surrounds to some of the inwalls, I'm looking for some advice on what may make a best pairing. Same with amplification I know there are some crown amps that are suggested. I also hear those are incredibly loud as far as fans and may lead to some hiss? Are there better amplification pairings that perform just as well but are perhaps passive? Right now my equipment stack is inside the theater but that could be rectified if I really needed to. So ultimately just looking for advice on complimentary pairings. Also keeping the amplification costs as low as possible would be great as I am not sure that diminishing returns doesn't set in well before the typical crown price points. Open to suggestions there.
3. I probably am most interested in buying all of this used any particular place to find sellers ? I don't know what the most popular Hi-Fi selling places are right now. Maybe just forums like this?
Thanks!!
Have you heard the higher end Revels? If you haven't heard a large waveguide speaker be sure to audition first. The M2 is a professional product designed to remove the room from your sound to the greatest degree possible. You may love that but it's not going to sound like traditional hifi.

Regarding the amps, I would get whatever setup JBL recommends and packages with the speakers. Again this is not hifi where you mix and match, it is a professional product.

Regarding surrounds, I have no opinion but I'm sure the 705 and 708 would be good options if you need that kind of output. The center speaker is the big problem.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

There is the SCL-1 in the Synthesis lineup: https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/series/scl-ssw/SCL-1.html
Not necessarily better, but more recent and with theoretical advantages when it comes to vertical directivity control.
I would love to see them measured and compared to the M2!

Some people have managed to make BSS BLU processors near silent by replacing the multiple small fans with a big one on top.
Then you have the openDRC-DI option (one per speaker) which is completely silent and let you choose whatever DAC you want... and also deal with input signal splitting and volume control :D.

As for amplifiers anything from Hypex or purifi should do the job nicely, as long as the power is enough for your SPL needs.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think I know where you’re coming from. I greatly admire the M2’s too, but find the price point a bit high. It would be nice to find a compromise that somehow saves significant cost, with a performance result that’s close enough.
The speakers themselves are only half the cost, so the amplifiers look a bit too expensive. But the amplifier is not just a power amp, it has the digital crossover, too. It was designed as a package by a group of very talented people who had lots of experience and financial resources at their disposal. And an uncommonly deep corporate tradition and history. Trying to replicate what they’ve done on your own will be challenging, if not really possible. Even a group of talented enthusiasts working together will be hard pressed to fully duplicate the efforts of the original engineers, even though all you have to do is copy their work. The originators have the inside track.
I don’t mean to discourage you. Determination and perseverance can go a long way. But you have to have the whole package to get those impressive spinorama graphs you see on line, and your time is worth something, too. Unless working through the process and overcoming the challenge itself is the gratification you’re looking for, it might be better to stick with the original manufacturer’s system, as intended by the designers, at the best price you’re able to find.

OP
H

Hifiaudio177

There is the SCL-1 in the Synthesis lineup: https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/series/scl-ssw/SCL-1.html
Not necessarily better, but more recent and with theoretical advantages when it comes to vertical directivity control.
I would love to see them measured and compared to the M2!

Some people have managed to make BSS BLU processors near silent by replacing the multiple small fans with a big one on top.
Then you have the openDRC-DI option (one per speaker) which is completely silent and let you choose whatever DAC you want... and also deal with input signal splitting and volume control :D.

As for amplifiers anything from Hypex or purifi should do the job nicely, as long as the power is enough for your SPL needs.
So this is very interesting to me. I had not read about these speakers at all. Although the price per speaker is a crazy $15k each retail, so (I guess?) JBL considers them to be "better" than the M2's (?) - or maybe these are just for the sucker residential market where people will generally pay more than pro, lol....

My favorite overall speakers I have ever owned were the Seaton Catalysts (only sold them because I moved to a house with a lesser theater room and I just figured I couldnt reach their potential). Those speakers looked quite similar to these SCL-1s, with a woofer/tweeter/woofer arrangement, sealed enclosure, and a compression driver. I have long wanted to hear this JBL compression driver and waveguide after owning the Seaton's.

Weird that the SCL's only go to 24KHZ while the M2s go to 40khz. Not that either should matter much, but if its the same compression driver, I would think the same extension specs.

So it looks like these speakers are meant to just connect to traditional amplification, no outside crossover, etc?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it looks like these speakers are meant to just connect to traditional amplification, no outside crossover, etc?
Looks like it is configurable for either use (source: Owners Manual).
SCL-1.png

Also, member @jtwrace is running M2's with Hypex Ncore amps and AudioLense software cross-over (see equipment list in his signature). Don't know if he is willing share the details on how he does it.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a TON of information on the M2s - esp amps and crossover settings - on Scott's DIY M2 thread over at lansing heritage:
I've heard his M2s - they are stunning, and set me off on my '95% performance for 10% cost' 'hybrid' project.
Personally, if I were to fall into a puddle of money, I think I'd look closely at the Revels, and try to get an audition of both.
The M2s can be a bit too unforgiving - fine if you are listening only to music created/mixed in the last 10-15 years or so, but a bit harsh on some older recordings.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hifiaudio177 curious what size space you are working with? All these speakers have immense output.

OP
H

Hifiaudio177

My space is not really that big.. certainly not enough to NEED these.. its about 17 x 24 or so? something like that. But having had the effortless sound of the Catalysts before, I have wanted to go back to that, but with a much more refined driver like the compression unit in the M2, not to mention the lack of crossover from 800hz-up.

OP
H

Hifiaudio177

I've become pretty interested in the SCL-1s. Has anyone read a quality review or comparison to the M2s?

Top Bottom