• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A fanless NUC?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On which model NUC?
Not a NUC, just a small fan that measures the same db as your NUC under load. It produces about 60db with the tip of the SPL meter as close as I dare get it to the blades.

Old Listener

If you have a concern about NUC fan noise, you should visit the BIOS and tune its settings. (pre-rant!)

My wife and I use 6th generation (Skylake) i5 NUCs as our personal desktops and I use a 5th generation atom-class NUC as a dedicated music player. I'm 2 feet away from my desktop NUC and I hear nothing until I have ~20 tabs open in Chrome with several Youtube videos up.

The way the fan is used can be adjusted in the BIOS for all these NUCs. A simple choice of the quiet profile is sufficient for the 6th gen. i5 NUCs. They have good features for finer fan control if I need it. I hear fan noise for a few seconds during the bootup process but then nothing during normal use.

The atom class NUC's BIOS has much less flexibility. I can choose fanless operation up to a threshold CPU temperature but when the fan runs, it runs at top speed which is quite loud. My choice was to allow slow speed fan operation at low temperature with a gradual ramp up with rising CPU temperature. I can hear low level noise at two feet. I hear nothing at my listening position 9 feet away. A practical solution as far as I am concerned.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a concern about NUC fan noise, you should visit the BIOS and tune its settings. (pre-rant!)

My wife and I use 6th generation (Skylake) i5 NUCs as our personal desktops and I use a 5th generation atom-class NUC as a dedicated music player. I'm 2 feet away from my desktop NUC and I hear nothing until I have ~20 tabs open in Chrome with several Youtube videos up.

That's a good take away. If this is being used for music only and not under any heavy load the fan is a non-issue. You can't hear it.

I encourage others to try it out as it's going to save you $$ and not compromise the listening environment. Same for my Crown XLS 1502. It has a fan but darned if it can be heard.

KSTR

Major Contributor
We use Intel NUC5i3MYBE fanless, albeit with a big custom headsink bolted onto a metal chassis. I've tested it with original fan/heatsink still attached but unpowered fan and it has no problems running a complex audio synthesizer rendering engine (quite more CPU load than just simple playback), total CPU load is about 7% (30% of one thread of one core, the rest is virtually unloaded). Even with the unit completely wrapped in foam the core doesn't get any hotter than 80°C as reported by a diagnosis tool. The fan is also really quiet, personally I found the "whining" noise of the onboard DC/DC converters of some units a bigger issue than the fan noise.

Top Bottom