• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A dose of realism - sometimes you can actually hear

axbarker

I really enjoy listening to music and tweaking my system is a real interesting and engaging hobby for me.

So imagine my surprise when I set about doing some REW measurements with a view to determining some DSP settings to run in Roon to go that extra mile with my 2 channel (2 subs) system. Fairly quickly I detected a vast difference between L and R channel frequency responses - long story short a tweater in the right channel had blown. Feeling pleased I had detected this and already looking forward to how much better things were going to sound when fixed - then the dawning insecurity - how long has this been the case? - hours, days, weeks, months........years???? :-(

Anyway - really looking forward to fitting the replacement tweater and then setting about tweaking again.

I thought I would share my dark little secret - my two young girls just laugh and roll their eyes - dads ears are shot anyway who is he kidding :). Hope this brightens your day.

raindance

Major Contributor
What's a tweater? Here in NC they seem to be called "twitters"

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Compared two DACs here a few months ago.

Connected the one being compared directly to the preamp, and set "flat" preset eq for mine, since it goes through DSP before the preamp.

Matched levels at 1khz with preamp trim.

The other one's stereo reproduction sounded fantastic compared to mine.

WTF?

"It's not that bad, you get used to it", Audio Buddy said.

Listened to some more tracks we both know well.

Finally figured out that the "flat" DSP preset wasn't flat, I'd used it to play with crossover settings and forgotten to remove the settings. Left was bass, right was treble. We only figured out something was really wrong when entire instruments disappeared from the playback if they were panned hard to the left in the recording.

Made the preset flat, and both DACs sounded the same.

OP
A

axbarker

Compared two DACs here a few months ago.

Connected the one being compared directly to the preamp, and set "flat" preset eq for mine, since it goes through DSP before the preamp.

Matched levels at 1khz with preamp trim.

The other one's stereo reproduction sounded fantastic compared to mine.

WTF?

"It's not that bad, you get used to it", Audio Buddy said.

Listened to some more tracks we both know well.

Finally figured out that the "flat" DSP preset wasn't flat, I'd used it to play with crossover settings and forgotten to remove the settings. Left was bass, right was treble. We only figured out something was really wrong when entire instruments disappeared from the playback if they were panned hard to the left in the recording.

Made the preset flat, and both DACs sounded the same.
Scratch us do we not bleed?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Too many experiences that way and I admit my ears are most definitely NOT what I once claimed them to be ;) - no wonder I get riled by the 'Only trust your ears' brigade - yeah right :D

OP
A

axbarker

Too many experiences that way and I admit my ears are most definitely NOT what I once claimed them to be ;) - no wonder I get riled by the 'Only trust your ears' brigade - yeah right :D
Sad thing is - I have hearing down in my right ear - frequency response shows it down in low and high frequency. Yet I still tweak my subs etc. the thrill of the chase. lets see if I can hear a difference when I restore the twEEter. :)

Top Bottom