• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A DAC/AMP for my PC? (listening to Deezer HiFi / movies / games)

Lianai

Hi everyone,

New here and I need your help to chose what is the best for my configuration.

I'm actually using an AKG Q701 Quincy Jones with the Graphic EQ from here, plugged on my old external sound card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround Pro (so much words...) which is plugged on my PC through USB. My motherboard is a MSI B550M Mortar using the Realtek AC1200 as the sound chip so I prefer the sound from the sound card, but there are stil interferences sometimes (rare, but still there) and I'm thinking about buying a DAC/AMP, but I'm not sure if I'll really get something better for what I'm doing on my PC.

For music, I'm essentially using Deezer with the HiFi subcription for CD quality (FLAC 1411 kbps), so no Hi Res music. Except from that, I watch movies and play games.

I don't want to pay too much since I don't have the most audiophile usage of my PC, but I still want to enjoy the sound of my headphones at a higher level (I may buy a Hifiman HE-400SE or a Sennheiser HD 560s) so I was thinking about buying a Topping DX1.

Do you think it'll be useful or do you have a better idea around the same price?

Thank you!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you use the sound card's features, like headphone surround sound.
If not, than go for an external USB DAC/amp.

OP
L

Lianai

I don't, I'm not really convinced by these features. Maybe because it's almost a 15y old sound card.

If I go for a DAC/Amp, which one would you recommend? There is something better than the Topping DX1 for around the same price?

Thank you ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For the price of the DX1 it is the one to buy. Anything else and you will be into separates and cost will be ~$209+ plus shipping plus taxes and upwards from there.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping DX3 Pro+ or SMSL C200 will provide more power, but at a higher cost. The DX1 looks like it might be OK with the 560s but maybe not the HE-400SE. You might want to ask if anyone has tried that combo in the review thread.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lianai

These DAC seem great and I thought about the DX3 Pro+ too (the same for the Fiio K5 Pro), but they are a bit too expensive for my use. I live in Europe, so the DX3 Pro+, like the Motu M2, costs 199€, and 249€ for the SMSL C200 when the DX1 is 99€. I could go up to 150€ if the difference is noticeable, but not more, it'd make no sense.

Trell

Major Contributor
This is an audio interface with a fairly weak headphone amp. The DX3 Pro+ is a better choice with more features unless an ADC/mic preamp is needed.

I own the Motu M2, btw, and is a fine audio interface.

Peib

These DAC seem great and I thought about the DX3 Pro+ too (the same for the Fiio K5 Pro), but they are a bit too expensive for my use. I live in Europe, so the DX3 Pro+, like the Motu M2, costs 199€, and 249€ for the SMSL C200 when the DX1 is 99€. I could go up to 150€ if the difference is noticeable, but not more, it'd make no sense.
I am in the same situation than you. Be patient and keep an eye on second gear websites these days, people will buy new stuff and sell the old one.
I dont know if i should get dx1 or wait until dx3pro+ appears in sale in second hand market

Bleib

Major Contributor
c200 is better than DX3pro+, balanced, better more responsive remote and doesn't get hot

Top Bottom