• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A cost effective Music Server and HTPC

KR8NUX

After reading Amir's build log on the Music server with fanless passive cooling parts, I set out to find a bang-for-buck configuration on my own. I sincerely believe that passive cooling is sensible only if you are inside well insulated soundproofed anechoic chamber.
For the build, I would put a 65W TDP AMD APU like the newer Raven Ridge Ryzen 5 2400GE ( 35 W TDP, lesser than the standard 2400G, if you can source it, otherwise get the standard 2400G), a 512 GB/1 TB NVME M.2 SSD, 8-16 GB stick of RAM, silent fans like the Noctua NF-A14 (if a case fan is needed), Passive CPU cooling block like the Alpine AM4 (even an active block like the Scythe Shuriken is like only 11 dB), Silent PSU like the BeQuiet Pure Power 11 or Silverstone ST30SF ('semi' fanless according to Silverstone, 22 dB max load).

I tried one on PC Part Picker - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xx2Fhy

Comes to $680, can be used as HTPC, Media Server, and also as a console replacement (The Ryzen APU is really good). Additionally, it will not go above 22-25 dB based on the parts I have put in (check quietpc for more part selections)

I think this is the sweet spot for a multifunctional system that can be used not only for 4K media, but also for Roon and if you install a console emulator like RetroArch, a sweet gaming system for your living room. Additionally, seeing the raw power of the Ryzen it can also play more intensive games at decent settings.
And for the noise, I can say its low enough that you would hear your Air conditioner's noise before you can hear the fans in this.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After reading Amir's build log on the Music server with fanless passive cooling parts, I set out to find a bang-for-buck configuration on my own. I sincerely believe that passive cooling is sensible only if you are inside well insulated soundproofed anechoic chamber.
Noise is one thing but another is reliability. For 24/7 operation I like to see no moving parts.

OP
K

KR8NUX

Noise is one thing but another is reliability. For 24/7 operation I like to see no moving parts.
This I 100% agree with. Anything Mechanical means its a point of physical failure.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I did was get an old outdated 2 bay NAS, for like $15 NIB (myditto). Threw in a couple of 2TB hard drives. I use multiple free old PCs to access the NAS either wirelessly or wired. Most of these old free PCs just need a HDMI video card, SSD drive, and possibly some ram to function like STBs.

gwertheim

If you want a computer case that is pretty much silent

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-usb-c-blackout

I have the older define R4 that comes with acoustic padding. Depending on what I am doing, I can't hear it run. Get a cheap gpu, a SSD (250 gig for OS), a 2700x with a noctua cooler and 16 gig + ram and there is space for 6 HDD's for all your media. It is a great solution and will last you years

OP
K

KR8NUX

Bequiet's cases have preinstalled acoustic shield and padding, they work better than the Fractal ones.

gwertheim

They both have acoustic padding and isolate sound well, it comes down to the looks of the case and your personal needs.

Fractal define r6 is just my opinion and bquiet is KR8NUX opinion. Do the research and decide for yourself.

OP
K

KR8NUX

So, in the PCPartpicker, I tried to go a Mini-ITX small form factor route, with components that have noise levels matching ambient noise in someone's home (unless they have a well-treated room that is).

Adding in acoustic padding + a larger case like mentioned gives more versatility and makes it a full-fledged PC which is a different use case, but it is not suited as an HTPC in a living room.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have an older CoolerMaster Cosmos case that has great acoustic padding completely covering both side panels, etc. It was a great case to keep the noise level down back when I bought it in 2008. Looking at them just now shows they've gone the gamer route with fullly visible internals for lots of fancy blinking lights, etc, too bad. :(

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I the only one using a Mintbox? It is powerful enough to do any audio tasks (convolution for 16 speakers real time + roon bridge+ various plugins. I also use it to run Audiolense from time to time with a dual boot setup. Not super cheap but much more powerful than the raspberry. It also does 4K without any problem for movies watching.

Top Bottom