• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A certain song triggers HP ERR of the DX3 Pro+

Hi, this is a bit of a curious observation i made.

I use a Hifiman HE400SE with a DX3 Pro+ and the two work together quite nicely, however everytime i try to listen to the song

even at relatively low volume, the amp shuts down with HP ERR

Doesn´t matter if the source is Tidal or Spotify, Amazon Music however is much lower Volume to begin with

Topping already adressed the Issue with a FW Update, V1.23, but my unit is new and came with that version.

what is going on with that song? i can listen to other stuff at perceived higher volume levels, and this issue is reproduceable, happens everytime at -9.5db High Gain

OP
S
so it seems its an issue with low frequencies below 20hz, i applied a highpass filter 10hz Q 0.7 that resolved the issue.
combined with Amirs EQ it looks like this

High pass 10hz Q 0.7

Peak 20hz +6db Q 1.0

Peak 37hz +1.8db Q1.8

Peak 1950hz +4.5db Q 3.0

Preamp -6.5db

OP
S
Read chapter “31.15 Digital DC Protection” page 68 and 69 in the RME ADI-2 DAC FS manual for an explanation.

man, this is a can of worms XD. I appreciate the link, and i´m glad something relatively convenient, like a HP filter can circumvent this. It´s weird that DACs don´t just offer this option by default

Frenchie

Hello All i have solved my Hp Err issue by running equalizer APO and by using the filters that OP used to fix the same issue. im just posting this so less audio savy people can find this. the D.B gain settings can be left to user preferance however.
Screenshot_2.png

Link to Equalizer APO:

Hope you found this useful,

Frenchie

P.S: i use this for gaming, i had this issue when playing escape from tarkov and it fixed it without screwing with base game audio

Last edited:

asrUser

It's only a workaround, but the manufacturer should still fix this.

OP
S
Hello All i have solved my Hp Err issue by running equalizer APO and by using the filters that OP used to fix the same issue. im just posting this so less audio savy people can find this. the D.B gain settings can be left to user preferance however. View attachment 229299

Link to Equalizer APO:

Hope you found this useful,

Frenchie

P.S: i use this for gaming, i had this issue when playing escape from tarkov and it fixed it without screwing with base game audio
I have trouble understanding, why you post EQ settings with low frequency gain, without adjusting preamp, when my provided EQ was perfectly fine.

Don´t add gain without lowering preamp, especially as far as bass is concerned

Kryonyx

I'm having an issue with Overwatch 2 triggering the HP ERR. Not sure how to get around this. I'm using the latest firmware and drivers.

OP
S
I'm having an issue with Overwatch 2 triggering the HP ERR. Not sure how to get around this. I'm using the latest firmware and drivers.
do you mean you don't know how to use eq, like i described here? google equalizer apo and p.e.a.c.e. and follow a youtube tutorial to apply the eq values i provided

Lambda

Major Contributor
Maybe contact Topping they shuld be abel to fix it in firmware.

Kryonyx

Yeah I guess its a bit of a weird issue. If I skip the DAC and plug the headphones directly into the computer, audio game audio can cut out in the middle of a game but voice chat (via the game) still works. I'm wondering if its a Dolby Atmos issue since I do have Dolby Access installed and Dolby Atmos for Headphones enabled. Which OW2 says it supports.

Top Bottom