• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Family-reunion.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1635535242053.jpeg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1635535908107.png

ajawamnet

ajawamnet

Then there's the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) called Reaper. It competes with the bigboys like Protools. Was written by Justin Frankel (the guy that wrote Winamp) and at this point just blows away most other DAW's. This guy did a vid where he talks about how much "better" Protools is as compared to that stinky old Reaper. Some funny shit.

ajawamnet

And here's a vid that shows whey Reaper is so good - the motivation of the guy that wrote it. He got over $50 million dollars when AOL bought Winamp - then they got pissed at him for some of the other stuff he did.

at 3:50 Where Justin states:
"when I left [AOL after they bought Winamp], I came away from it wanting to avoid that in the future; wanting to just make things for the sake of making them .. and not have to constantly justify everything with business decisions/motivations. The ability to just make software for the purpose of making it... for the end goal of making something that's really powerful and enjoyable to use"

Wow - doing shit for the right reasons. How unusual nowadays in this world of man bun, Java jockey, Pitiful Python Pirates that wouldn't know a CPU register if it hit them in the forehead.

Oh - and here's another cool thing - most DAW's like Protools, Studio One, etc... are gigabyte installers.

Reaper? 14 Mbytes - yep MEGAbytes. I thought it was a stub installer. Nope, it's everything including 7:1 mixing, a 32 bit wrapper for older 3rd party plugins (of which the big boys CAN'T do) and a bunch of plugins. Totally tweakable and skinable

Now THAT's some who knows how to write good, stable, low-level code - just like coders did back in the day - - when they too were doing stuff for the right reasons. - my rant here: http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawamnet/mama_i_wanna_be_a_maker.html

ajawamnet

And Reaper offers a zillion free vids from Kenny Gioia

check out some of his instructional stuff - just blows away ANY software companies documentation or training. I've worked with dozens of musicians that have been able to get productive within days.

Top Bottom