• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

JSmith

Master Contributor
1625538460499.png

JSmith

Watsonian

And I find that extended bass is quite a challenge to live with.

Perhaps I need to have more strings to my audiophile bow?

1625587606901.png

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I have to admit that the first time I ever heard the word "jukebox" I was in 1st grade in class at the time. Somehow the word "jukebox" was said by the teacher and I found that word to be riotously funny. I laughed for what seemed like forever, got sent to the office for disrupting the class and it's been downhill ever since. Until seeing this picture, I haven't thought of that in many, many years. I don't know why I found the word so funny.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only recently came across "vinyl video" on Technology Connections, he did a whole series on them:
I really enjoy his channel, he's quite funny and coveres a whole bunch of wierd and wonderful technology stuff: https://www.youtube.com/c/TechnologyConnections/videos
Was worth it for the CED = "Flux Capacitor" realization + association of the CED release with the Deloren's release a few days later. :)
I remember when the RCA "Selectavision" VCR came out, and I asked "wtf" does "Selectavision" mean? and was told "IDK" - and when the CED came out that same RCA "Selectavision" VCR owner bought a CED and it "all came together", I said "weird" "wtf" were RCA thinking, and he said how should I know, it's RCA. o_O

Video quality off of consumer recordings or pre-recordings were so bad back then the new pristine CED recordings output actually looked better...but there were the occasional tell-tale "pulls" or line-out flashes due to dirt or imperfections in the media.

I thought those silver flashes were very distracting, I suggested they catch those somehow and invert the output during the flat signal/data loss so they are presented as less-distracting line-black-outs instead. CED didn't last long enough for a V2.0 release, GE killed RCA starting in 1984 only 3 years after CED was launched.

CED didn't kill RCA, GE killed RCA. GE bought back RCA only to get NBC,; then GE broke up RCA and sold off the rest of RCA's assets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA#Re-acquisition_and_break-up_by_General_Electric

GE formed RCA, and GE was forced to spin out RCA by the US Government in 1930...very interesting stuff. :)

And, there is a second video: The CED: No really, it coulda made sense! (Part 2)

Last edited:
Top Bottom