• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Soandso

Somehow I feel such a strong connection with other people:

8D919225-692E-42CA-A6BC-F0A670189C5C.jpeg

4CDD9EE6-9CED-421A-A660-E3D5E688AFCE.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
History of the Minnow [re: Gilligan's Island]:
The S.S. Minnow actually has a long and detailed history represented by several different crafts of varying characteristics. The following [there were at least 8 different) crafts [that] have appeared as the Minnow in all of its incarnations.
View attachment 274974

Extended Trivia:
  • The Minnow was named for Newton Minow, the chairman of the FCC in 1961 who called television "a vast wasteland."
  • The Minnow 1.1 has since been found and restored and now gives tours near Vancouver, Canada.
  • The Minnow 1.3 is now stored at MGM-Disney Studios in Florida.
  • In the Season One opening, an unidentified eighth figure [?] can be seen on the Minnow as it heads out to sea.
  • In the Second and Third Season openings, the crow's nest is missing in the long shot of the Minnow in the storm. The beached version also has one extra window.
From <https://gilligan.fandom.com/wiki/S.S._Minnow>
PS: I had been told (and believed it) that S.S.Minnow sailed out from NewportBeach Harbor/Jetties... for that "three hour tour".:facepalm:
Wow a big Gilligan's Island fan.

Now my story. I lived where you couldn't get cable TV and it was early days of small satellite TV like with Dish. I was working the 4pm to Midnight shift when they told me my order of a Dish setup was in. They charged a bunch for installation and I was doing my own. Picked it up on the way to work. Got home about 12:30 am. Decided I'd put it up right then. Got my compass, and lined everything up after mounting it on a pole beside the house. I won't bore you with the aiming process. So in those days you called in and gave codes to someone on the phone to turn your service on. So I call a few minutes before 3 am. Sounds like I woke up the Dish lady on the other end. She says they are doing a system update and I'll have to wait a few minutes until 3 am. I chat with her a bit about where she is etc etc. Finally she says my service is on and should become available in the next 5 minutes. I hang up and breathlessly wait for the logo change to let me tune in a program.

And what was my first program that came up on the Dish? I hear that goofy little song at the beginning of Gilligan's Island of course of which I'd seen every episode more than once. :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
(originally seen @ audioasylum)

1679923308220.png

should I be concerned that it says "might even be"?

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 275176

should I be concerned that it says might be?

Two questions arise:
  1. Are nine-banded armadillos so common in Israel that they are a valid reference for measuring objects?
  2. Would an Israeli know a nine-banded armadillo if they saw one?

Keith_W

Major Contributor

View attachment 275176

should I be concerned that it says "might even be"?

Are we back to the metric vs. imperial debate again? Americans will use ANY measurement system, including counting armadillos, instead of metric!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two questions arise:
  1. Are nine-banded armadillos so common in Israel that they are a valid reference for measuring objects?
  2. Would an Israeli know a nine-banded armadillo if they saw one?
I believe most people would find 35m easier to imagine than 33 armadillos, and this is clearly a secret plot to unwillingly plant information on the unsuspectiong Israeli public's mind about nine-banded Armadillos body size.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we back to the metric vs. imperial debate again? Americans will use ANY measurement system, including counting armadillos, instead of metric!

That's what I found odd - it is an Israeli publication using armadillos as measurements, not an American one. At least an American (Texan) would know a nine-banded armadillo if he saw one.

Top Bottom